PDA

View Full Version : Gauge selection v.widebandvsnarrowband

4thgenceli
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Getting to the point I need to decide and place some gauges on a list to purchase. I'm looking at air/fuel gauges and can't decide between wideband or a narrowband air/fuel gauge.

Any suggestions as to one or the other? I'm kinda leaning narrow just for ease of installation.

trumanpriest
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Narrowband isn't crazy useful. If I remember correct they just work off a greater, less than voltage range. If voltage is less than X reads rich, greater than y reads lean, x-y reads stoic. Could be wrong though; it's been a long time since I've looked. From what I remember a wideband or even EGT would be much more useful. Narrow is much easier to install. Tap into purple wire from ECU iirc.

CollapsedNut
02-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Narrow unless you wanna buy the 4 wire o2 senser. Narrow wont tell you much tho, just kinda be for looks.

Hookecho
02-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Just by the wideband and the interface for it.

CollapsedNut
02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
agreed. no point in a a/f guage if your gonna do narrow. spend the money elsewhere

ChrisD
02-04-2011, 05:10 AM
I'd rather look at a gaping hole (in my dash you dirty mofos) than a narrow band O2 gauge.

I run boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure, EGT and J&S knock response in the 165 - plus the outputs on the laptop include any sensor on the car as well as wideband O2.

On the 205 I have oil pressure, water temp and boost.

If I added one more it would be oil temp.

I wouldn't mind having water temp on a gauge either.

But definitely, definitely, not narrow band O2.

What is funny is the J&S has narrow band o2, but it didn't work right when I installed it so I never bothered to try to figure out why. Pointless, just going to distract me from the info I really need.

rizin
02-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Wide Band or just run stock engine setup.

alltracman78
02-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Narrow unless you wanna buy the 4 wire o2 senser. Narrow wont tell you much tho, just kinda be for looks.
Plenty of 4 wire "narrow band" O2 sensors, including the stock 3SGTE sensor.

IMO a O2 sensor [A:F and O2 sensors are different] is somewhat useful. Definitely not for tuning, and also not for any kind of monitoring system if you have a modified engine.
But it does give you a rough idea of what the engine is doing. For all of you that say it's completely useless, the ECU uses it as primary info for fueling.....
It tells you when your engine is out of cold start [switches from open loop to closed loop], it tells you when you're at WOT [switches from closed loop to open loop], it also gives you a rough idea of how rich/lean you're running. It also happens to be a whole lot cheaper than an A:F gauge, all you need is the gauge and a wire to the O2 signal. The A:F gauge requires an A:F sensor to be installed as well as extra wiring.
So for those of you with a close to stock engine that like to keep an eye on what you're engine is doing it's a relatively cheap, easy alternative.