PDA

View Full Version : Truck Problemo

Grot
01-30-2011, 03:50 AM
So today i noticed a little engine trouble with my truck.

The problem only happens when the engine is warm. Its fine when cold.

When you push the gas and hold it steady to keep a certian speed, the engine will bog down, and miss, and it doesnt want to move. If i floor it; it will react and rev and will have power again.

If im accelerating is still has a miss i can feel but it has power and will accelerate.

But the engine will only really bog under load it has a slight miss in neutral but wont bog.

I have no idea what this could be. im gonna clean the spark plugs to make sure i havent fowled them from dumping gas.

I have another set of plugs from back when i had my ranger but i dont know it they are the correct plugs.

mtp_69_i
01-30-2011, 05:10 AM
sorry man, I don't know the details of your truck. Is it a carbie motor (18R or something?). Your problem sounds like it could be a carbie with a flat spot.

mtp_69_i
01-30-2011, 05:30 AM
just incase, here's a link to a basic explanation of carbie tuning parameters

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/acceleration-flat-spot-carb-157712.html

mtp_69_i
01-30-2011, 05:30 AM
blerg

Grot
01-30-2011, 05:47 AM
its an 82 Ford 300 Straight 6 with a 1bbl carb

Hookecho
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Check the coil.

Grot
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Have an update. Never did anything about this and it has been getting worse. Then a couple days ago i was getting on the interstate and i hear a pop noise and i was like WTF was that.

Then i realized my truck was running a thousand times better, actually had power and some of the sucking noise from the engine had gone away.

I still hvae no idea what i blew out, but im guessing a clogged cat maybe?

mtp_69_i
02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
potato in the exhaust.

lol.

Facime
02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
a plugged cat doesnt act like that. Does the 82 even have a cat? At first your description made me think something in the EGR system, possibly the valve isnt seating correctly or that there is a leak in the system so when the valve opens its venting to atmosphere. Im not so sure about that. I would check the electrical timing and double check all your vacuum lines. I cant say Ive never had a car magically fix itself, but if the problem returns try what I mentioned.

Grot
02-10-2011, 06:52 PM
The problem was still there, albeit you wouldnt notice it much. then last night and today it has reared it head and will stutter or try to stall at very low RPM.

Murg suggested EGR too.

Hipster Lawrence
02-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Egr stuck open is a good place to start.

fdfx3
02-15-2011, 01:50 AM
I have to agree with Cavemanlarry and Facime sound like a EGR problem, but does a Ford truck from 82 have EGR?
One easy way to find out is to make a block of plate( a metal gasket with no hole in it), insert the plate in front of the valve so no exhaust can flow trough your valve and in to the intake, if this eliminates your problem you can almost be sure that the valve is defect. (the block off plate/ gasket dosent't necesarily have to sit i front of the valve as long as it prevent's the exhaust gases from reaching your intake.

I did this once, but it turned out that it was a loose intake hose on the pressure side after the turbo.

Grot
02-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Yes im told it has an EGR.

I have no idea what it looks like though

fdfx3
02-15-2011, 03:36 AM
Usualy there is some sort of a pipe going from your exhaust manfold to your intake with a valve between, this valve dosent open until the engine is warm, but some egr system's could also be internal, built inside the head unit, but on a old ford it would most likely be an external EGR system.
look for a pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to your intake.

If you do not have much experience with working on cars I sugest that you get help from a friend that does, if you know somone who does.
Or take your car to your local garage and get a mechanic to take a look at your car, probably gonna be expensive then, especialy if garage prices are as high as in Norway.
But that of course depends on what is wrong with your car, an EGR valve shouldn't be expensive i think if that is your problem but you never know.