PDA

View Full Version : BorgWarner EFR results

Magnum
01-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry it's not a 3sgte but it is the first real world comparison.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=755332

temperacerguy
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I met with the BW guys at the PRI show last month. I am extremely impressed with this turbo system. The only problem is that it's hella expensive to swap from an exsisting turbo system to the EFR system.

The EFR turbo incorporates the wastegate and BOV into the turbo... so the cost of the EFR turbo is about equal to a standard GT turbo PLUS a quality wastegate PLUS a quality BOV.

If you are building a new turbo system, the cost is about equal, but if you're swapping from an exsisting GT turbo to an EFR turbo, it's quite a financial bite to take.

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I met with the BW guys at the PRI show last month. I am extremely impressed with this turbo system. The only problem is that it's hella expensive to swap from an exsisting turbo system to the EFR system.

The EFR turbo incorporates the wastegate and BOV into the turbo... so the cost of the EFR turbo is about equal to a standard GT turbo PLUS a quality wastegate PLUS a quality BOV.

If you are building a new turbo system, the cost is about equal, but if you're swapping from an exsisting GT turbo to an EFR turbo, it's quite a financial bite to take.

if youre planning on going for a serious setup I stay away from that turbo.That turbo is only good when replacing lets say something like the stock ct26,anything above that waste of time.Hell even the guy on the RSX forum he already has to get a new wastegae actuator cause his is no good for past 20 pounds.So thats more money there

Magnum
01-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Are you guy serious. Lets compare apples to apples. A Garrett GTX-R turbo is the same money. Plus a EFR will spool up to 500 rpm sooner for the same size turbo and make the same peak hp or more. Also for the waste gate it comes with the medium size actuator unless you ask for the larger one when purchasing. If someone was going big power they would go with the EWG model anyway. Have you seen another IWG turbo that can control boost as well as this one?

ChrisD
01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
err ya, that dyno shows it outpowering a GT35. thanks for the link! :)

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Are you guy serious. Lets compare apples to apples. A Garrett GTX-R turbo is the same money. Plus a EFR will spool up to 500 rpm sooner for the same size turbo and make the same peak hp or more. Also for the waste gate it comes with the medium size actuator unless you ask for the larger one when purchasing. If someone was going big power they would go with the EWG model anyway. Have you seen another IWG turbo that can control boost as well as this one?

I just wanna break this down real quick.......

Nobody brought up the GTX series just like chrisd said.And he was comparing to a 35R.Only reason why its gonna spool 500 rpm sooner its cause of the billet wheel.But now compare to billet wheel same size and all and then the factor becomes the motor on how its setup.

Borg Warner and Garrett both found out that Precision was smart in the way that they were the first ones to incorperate the billet wheel in there and now Garrett first did it with GT45X and then they did it with there GT42 and now the smaller frame turbos and now Borg Warner with there EFR setup

There is plenty of reason why EWG is a lot better then internal.Can control better for one and 2 dont have to worry about the flapper sticker and causing Spikes.

Magnum
01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I agree with you on some points but not on others. I was comparing the GTX series for cost examples primarily. It has been said by Garrett that billet compressor wheels do not aid in spool. They do allow for a different wheel design and added strength. I'm sure you have seen the dynos comparing the GT3076R to the GTX3076R where the GT spools faster but the GTX make more peak power. Now lets look at the EFR dyno. They are using a larger turbo than the GT35R that was on there before so it should make more power, and it does. What I think the benefit of the EFR turbos is the turbine wheel. Basically you can run a larger turbo produce more power and have the same or better spool than a turbo available for other companies. Let say that for this example they used the EFR 7670. I think you would find peak power to be down around 15-20whp from the 8374 but the area under the curve would be even greater. What I'm trying to get at here is the advantage of the EFR turbos is not peak power but area under the curve.

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree with you on some points but not on others. I was comparing the GTX series for cost examples primarily. It has been said by Garrett that billet compressor wheels do not aid in spool. They do allow for a different wheel design and added strength. I'm sure you have seen the dynos comparing the GT3076R to the GTX3076R where the GT spools faster but the GTX make more peak power. Now lets look at the EFR dyno. They are using a larger turbo than the GT35R that was on there before so it should make more power, and it does. What I think the benefit of the EFR turbos is the turbine wheel. Basically you can run a larger turbo produce more power and have the same or better spool than a turbo available for other companies. Let say that for this example they used the EFR 7670. I think you would find peak power to be down around 15-20whp from the 8374 but the area under the curve would be even greater. What I'm trying to get at here is the advantage of the EFR turbos is not peak power but area under the curve.

I do agree on the cost of the GTX turbos but for a lighter more stronger wheel that spins faster and they said it will not aid in spool then Garrett is doing something or it was worded wrong.Look at the Precision turbos for instance.I much as I hate to say they have there stuff packed down good.Difference between billet to non billet is 150 horses more on the billet wheel and 500rpm faster spool.And thats not from forums or web based that is real stuff based on people setup in life.

Look at the cost of the GT42R and then look at the cost of the Precision 6765.While the GT42 is a 1000hp capable turbo the 6765 is there with it and is a smaller turbo all together.and the cost is deep enough to look a different way

For more area under curve there is a lot more factors to take into consideration other then turbo selection.Motor displacement,compression.

Im not saying nothing wrong about borg warner or precision or garrett cause they all have there cons and pro cons.

Magnum
01-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Is the Precision billet compressor wheel the same as their cast wheels. The gain in spool and power can be from a better designed wheel that is only able to be produced out of billet aluminum.

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-29-2011, 12:09 AM
no it is not

temperacerguy
01-29-2011, 09:33 AM
The quicker spool up can also be atributed to the Ti-Aluminide turbine. The cartridge bearing design is also quite impressive.

Magnum
01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
The quicker spool up can also be atributed to the Ti-Aluminide turbine. The cartridge bearing design is also quite impressive.

That is the reason why it spools faster, because the turbine and compressor wheels are the same weight.