PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Oil Leak

93cc
01-26-2011, 04:10 AM
I have a really bad oil leak. In fact it leaks so bad that if I drive it it blows a smoke trail and smoke comes into the cabin of the car.

Here are a couple of pictures.

It this bottom up view you can how the oil runs down the small hard line going into the block and does not appear to be coming from anywhere above that
http://www.93alltrac.com/other/Alltrac/DSC02018_sm.JPG

and in this top down view you can see my buddies finger is touching the hard line about were the oil leak appears to be starting.
http://www.93alltrac.com/other/Alltrac/DSC02032_sm.JPG

So, I'm looking of your opinions as to weather you agree that is what the problem looks like. If so how hard is it to replace those hard lines? If they can still be bought.

alltracman78
01-26-2011, 04:53 AM
That's the oil feed line for your turbo.
I suggest you don't drive the car until you fix it, losing oil pressure/supply to the turbo is a great way to kill it.

There's 2 metal seals for the union bolt that connects that line to the block. You might be lucky and just have to replace those.
Or you should be able to find the lines used [Toyota probably still stocks them, but they will be $$$].

ChrisD
01-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Yep definitely looks like the turbo oil line. Hard to tell from the pics but could possibly just be the gasket? I'd probably just find it used on the forums, I'm sure someone here has one laying around for cheap. Possibly mr2oc, between the two sites there's bound to be some available.

Better fix that quick before you dirty up your pretty engine bay. :D

93cc
01-26-2011, 05:30 AM
I'm driving it until I get it fixed... I don't think its the gasket the leak appears to start in the middle of the line

ChrisD
01-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Is it the fat or the skinny line? The fat one is the drain, the skinny is the supply. A leak in the supply could cause very serious issues for the turbo if it were to be starved. I probably wouldn't drive it.... :(

93cc
01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
sorry for the typo... that should be I'm NOT driving it until I get it fixed and it is the skinny line.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-27-2011, 03:32 AM
There pressure on that line. If there is no oil above that, there could be a pin hole in the line. Like the guys said, you can probably find that line used either here or MR2OC. You might be able to get it new from Toyota. ToyoDIY shows a Turbo Oil Pipe #1 as 15481-88383. Wholesaletoyoparts.com shows it for $48.70 but there catalog is calling it a coolant pipe. You can call Aaron at Lithia and have him check the number. Their our board sponsor and he could hook you up if it's available. If this is the right part and you can get it for $50 or less, it would be worth going new on a critical part like this.

l0ch0w
01-29-2011, 11:26 PM
If you continue to drive with your turbo feed line in that condition, you risk starving your turbo of oil, and BLOWING IT UP. Ive got one however if you are interested :) I cant take it off for about a week though, just got my tonsils out...

93cc
02-15-2011, 05:06 AM
ordered new replacement lines and got them installed tonight. So far so good!!!

Here is a picture of the bad one with the crack.
http://www.93alltrac.com/other/Alltrac/OilLineCrack_sm.jpg

ChrisD
02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Wow, good luck seeing that hairline crack from under the car. Glad to hear you're back up and running!

93cc
02-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks! Me too!

and I had to flex the pipe some to be able to see as it was.

klapa
02-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Yay - Great fix! Glad to see you are up and running again without a destroyed turbo.

Even worse would be a pinhole leak - I've seen those on double wall steel brake tubing.