PDA

View Full Version : blinker problems

grimmythereaper
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
my driverside blinker works just fine when the headlights are NOT on but when i turn on my headlights the driver blinker turn on as well and it dosnt blink it stays on as if it was a headlight but it will blink when i turn the switch to turn the the blinker on. im not sure whats going on. i have cheaked the wires and they all are fine.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
You're talking about the light in the instrument cluster? The only place that I can think of right off where the blinkers and the headlights come close are in the switch in the column. But if it's just your dash light coming on with the headlights, I'm stumped on that one.

On the other hand, it's possible that something in the printed circuit overlay in the back of the cluster is putting power to the indicator light bulb.

grimmythereaper
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
no its not the cluster its the bulb itsself on the outside of the car

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
So it looks brighter than the normal parking light? My guess then would be something in the switch in the column. There might be wires rubbing together in there somewhere.

grimmythereaper
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
not brighter no, well now im i asking if the light being on is normal bc the passager side does not come on when the headlights come

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes, the right one should be on. Is this the one in the bumper or next to the headlight. Sounds like one of the filaments are burned out in the bulb. One some really old cars, the park lights didn't come one with the headlights but since some time in the 70's, they do. Check that bulb and the socket.

grimmythereaper
01-23-2011, 09:13 PM
its the light in the bumper on the driver side and the one in the bumper on the passenger side wont come on when the head lights are on but still blinks

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Check the bulb on the right side. It's double filament. The park light can be out but the turn signal can still work. I think that will probably fix your problem.

Luni
01-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Did you check to make sure you are good on blinker fluid?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh man, I forgot to suggest the blinker fluid! Good call Luni!

Eric Barrera
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Did you check to make sure you are good on blinker fluid?

Owned

grimmythereaper
01-24-2011, 01:16 AM
is the light in the bumper a blinker and parking light?

Galcobar
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
The bumper corner light is both, thus it uses an 1157 dual-filament bulb. The lights by the headlights are simple marker lights.

grimmythereaper
01-24-2011, 04:17 AM
ok so the bumper lights should be on when the head lights are on? and if so then the passenger one not coming on when the headlights do is the problem? srry if it seems like im asking the same question over and over again im just trying to be sure about this.

acidice333
01-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes just take out the passenger one and replace accordingly with a 1157 bulb.

93celicaconv
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
The lights in the bumper are both parking lights and signal lights. They have dual filament bulbs. A low wattage filament is used as the parking light, which comes on when your turn your light switch to either parking lights or head lights. The high wattage filament is for the signal lights. The signals will blink if you used your turn signal switch or your hazard light switch.

Hope this helps with you questions on how they are supposed to work.

grimmythereaper
01-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Hope this helps with you questions on how they are supposed to work.

it does and thank you and every one else who helped me on this one bc when i bought the car the lights in the bumper didnt work only blinked so when i put in new bulbs i got a little freaked out

ericfragola
01-25-2011, 08:14 AM
im having blinker problems too...well mines different. when i turn on my lights, my left blinker stays solid and my blinkers dont work.(but my hazards do.) it stays solid on the tail light, as well as the green arrow on my gauge cluster. wtf?:(

93celicaconv
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
So your parking illumination works good? And all your Hazard lights flash as they should? When you use your turn signal lights does it matter between using the left or the right side? Do the front, rear & instrument cluster lights come on when using the turn signals, but just don't flash?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Glad everything worked out Grimmy.

grimmythereaper
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM
im having blinker problems too...well mines different. when i turn on my lights, my left blinker stays solid and my blinkers dont work.(but my hazards do.) it stays solid on the tail light, as well as the green arrow on my gauge cluster. wtf?

the ground wire for the lights may be touching another one of the wire for that bulb. is it doing it on bothsides or just one side?

Glad everything worked out Grimmy.
:)

ericfragola
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Just the left blinker stays solid, both on the gauge cluster and the tail light. I'm not sure if the front does it as well but ill check that today. Also, when I move the switch to signal left or right it doesn't do anything.

93celicaconv
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
So how do you get your left blinker lights to stay on steady in the instrument cluster and tail light, if your turn signal switch doesn't do anything?

ericfragola
01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Its just weird like that. As soon as I turn on my lights they stay solid. I don't even have to do anything extra. Its not like I use the left blinker and then it turns on and stays solid...it just stays solid whenever I turn my lights on.

93celicaconv
01-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Starting to make sense now.

When you turn your headlights on, do all your headlights, front side markers, rear tail lights & side markers, license plate lights, etc., all work?

When you turn your headlights on, is your left front turn signal brighter than your right side turn signal?

When you turn your headlights on, is your rear left turn signal (amber color) also on, but your rear right turn signal (amber color) off?

ericfragola
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Ll of my lights work except for one liscense plate light doesn't light up. And its the driver side one.

Right now since its daylight I can't really tell if my front left is bright than my front right (passengar side). But when I hit my hazards I just noticed that my front corner lenses alternate blinks....they're not like the back hazards which blink simultaneously. The front left will blink, then the front right, and it goes back and forth. Is it possible this is my problem? Maybe the previous owners did something to make it so the hazards alternate and they messed up everything? Because I know on mustangs I've seen it where the blinker light sweeps across the 3bulbs instead of a constant blink.

93celicaconv
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Let's get terminology down correctly here. Front corner lights are the ones located just to the sides of the headlights, while the turn signal & parking lights are located in the bumper below the headlights.

So, given this, when you put your hazard lights on, do your front corner lights flash in an alternate style, or do your turn signal/parking lights in your bumper blink alternately?

ericfragola
01-26-2011, 12:45 AM
my front corner lights are the ones that blink alternately...

93celicaconv
01-26-2011, 12:49 AM
They should not blink at all. The only have a single small filament bulp (168 or 194 lamp I believe). Because they seem to be affected by putting the hazard lights on, it would appear that there is a problem in the wiring involving the front corner lamps that likely is the cause for all your other issues. The front corner lights should be completely isolated from your hazard light circuit. I'm not sure I would know how to diagnose where the source of this problem originates.

Galcobar
01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
I'd think multimeter, and work backwards from the socket -- and I'm going to guess that you'd find something rewired.