PDA

View Full Version : Carb adjustment

Grot
01-23-2011, 03:35 AM
I need a crash course in Carbuerators.

My new Vehicular is currently getting like 6 MPG and the tailpipe reaks of gas.

Its a small 1bbl carb on a 300 I6.

Any websites i can read?

Facime
01-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Grot, I would just start off rebuilding it. its unlikely any "adjustment" is going to do it much good. A rebuild kit shouldnt be more than $30 and should give you a chance to see what you are dealing with. Dumping a whole ton of extra fuel into it sounds like a stuck float and/or a bad needle valve, both of which will get taken care of in the rebuild. A simple little 1bbl should be cake to do even with zero carb experience. Rebuild kits come with instructions on how to set things like float levels, and chokes. Just set aside a clean place to take it apart playing close attention to what came off where. A can of carb cleaner and an old toothbrush will help clean parts. Compressed air for blowing out passages is really the best, but if you dont have a comressor get a can of "canned air" like you would use to clean a computer to blow stuff out after you clean it.

You should be able to pull it, rebuild it and replace it in 3-4 hours max even taking it slow.

Once rebuilt the only real adjustments are going to be the A/F mixture and the choke setting. If you are able to maintain your choke settings when taking it apart that would help.
Mixture setting takes a little "ear tuning" but basically you dial out the screw 1.5 turns, then with the engine running, dial it out in 1/4 turn increments, keep turning until the idle stops coming up or it starts to run rough, then dial it back in until the idle just starts to drop, then back out 1/4 turn. Everything past that is an art.

Grot
01-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. ive never touched an Automotive carb. ive messed with a couple small engine carbs. but just cleaning not rebuilding.

Grot
01-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Im haveing trouble finding which model carb i have.

I found this (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Gp-Sorensen-Carburetor-Kit/1982-Ford-F150-1-2-ton-P-U-2WD/_/N-il7tmZ8vd1z?counter=2&itemIdentifier=3504_25767_1887_) carb kit but am not sure if its the corect one.

Facime
01-23-2011, 04:29 AM
They really arent complicated at all. if you can get me a tag number off it, or you cand the model # somewhere I will be happy to review the rebuild proceedure and see if anything looks tricky. I came from the carb era. Im many ways I wish there were more of them around. They are very forgiving. I doubt a fuel injected car would even run dumping that much fuel in it.

edit: you beat me to it, let me look at that info.

(there should still be a tag on the carb itself with a model number)

Grot
01-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Alright i will look at it tomorrow in the light.

Im gonna have my stepdad look at the carb tomorrow, i may just go ahead and rebuild it tho.

Facime
01-23-2011, 04:38 AM
is this your carb?

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m119/arleng_2006/IMG_0569.jpg

Grot
01-23-2011, 04:41 AM
I cant tell you. I havent even had time to look at it. I just noticed it was running so rich while delivering at work and it was dark. i can tell you tomorrow though.

Facime
01-23-2011, 04:42 AM
ok doing continued research for ya in the meantime.

Facime
01-23-2011, 04:50 AM
edit: crap sorry wrong carb

It should be the carter YFA carb. Im still looking for a good rebuild kit/manual.

I think this is the rebuild kit:
http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/images/kits/fullsize/ck238.jpg

but to be sure a number off the carb body itself would be useful.

Grot
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I went by advanced to get the kit tonight.

Apparently the Tag on my Carb is missing according to the floor manager at advanced.

He told me to go by Napa and they can find out by some numbers on the body and bowl.