PDA

View Full Version : Weber side drafts...

H8PVMNT
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
So I have an oportunity to pick up the dual side draft weber setup for my 20r pretty cheap. Anyone have any experience with it? Is getting both carbs to work together a joke? Is this a viable setup for street driven vehicles?

It would go on a 1980 Toyota 4x4...

Grot
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
The 4age crowd uses them alot.

If you know where to find a twin carb manifold for the 20r id do it, depending on the price.

H8PVMNT
01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I think it even has the mainifold with them. My buddy wrecked his tacoma on an icy bridge and he needs to borow a vehicle for a month or so and I think he will trade in leiw of rent... A guy at his work is charging him $10 a day to drive an old ford so I think it would be a good deal for him. He traded some other parts for the carbs years ago and we were talking about swaping something for them before he wrecked.

Facime
01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
which webers are they? Getting a manifold from LC Engineering is easy if one isnt included in the deal. You will also need the proper linkage to make them work. You can buy a carb syncronizer fairly cheap. I bought mine from JC Whitney to do bikes, but its the same for any multi carb setup. You sync the carbs using vacuum. Dialing in the jetting might be a little more difficult if they werent already set up for a 20R with similiar mods. Once jetted and dialed in they should be pretty much trouble free for a very long time, and are prefectly streetable. Ive run dual side drafts on my celicas in the past. You really need the right cam and I would recommend a good porting job to get full potential out of them.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cnMbvPBkM) is a video of my last 20R setup which included a huge cam and a weber 38 outlaw.

85gtsblackman
01-23-2011, 06:30 AM
i dont reccomend sidedrafts for a offroad vehicle

H8PVMNT
02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Well he ended up finding a jeep cherokee for $500 so he decided to keep the carbs... I probably would have been sitting on them anyhow. I went ahead and rebuilt the stock 20r carb and it is way better anyhow. It will run well vertical or tiped over which is also a bonus over the webers. Would have been cool though...

Facime
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
20R carbs are crap for CFM though. I would buy a conversion manifold from LCE and drop a 22R carb on there, or even better find yourself a used 32/36

85gtsblackman
02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
^ what he said

H8PVMNT
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I've had the 20r carb run better on side angles than the 22r carb. I don't know why, but it does. Probably because it's more puny.