PDA

View Full Version : Won't run

bekks
01-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I have an 87 GTS, 5spd. It sat for a week in about -25 celcius and when I started it it ran for 5 - 10 seconds and then sputtered out. Now it cranks strong (has a new starter), but won't fire. Two plugs are wet with gas and one is dry (I didn't check the last), they all have good spark. I took the top cover off the timing belt as best as I could without removing the motor mount (it didn't seem to want to come off without removing that) and the belt isn't broken, it kind of seems a little loose, but not too bad. Distributor looks alright. I don't have a timing gun. Anyone care to give ideas? Timing belt jumped? I'm not familiar with the Celica yet, any sensors that could be bad? Thanks

bman200437
01-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Would some one care to answer this I have a 86 that is doing the same thing it is very irritating i think the longest it has run is two min and if you touch the throttle it stalls..

CollapsedNut
01-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Timing belt shouldnt be the problem. If the car ran fine before you parked it, cold weather would only make the belt get tighter. I highly doute it jumped time.
You say you have spark. Ima assume its getting air, then that leaves one thing. Fuel. Chances are you had some water in your fuel, the cold weather froze it, if its still cold it may still be frozen, clogging the line. If its warmed up, the frozen water may have ruined something.
Most fuel rails have a valve kinda like the valve on your tire. I could go look at my 4th gen, but I just came in. Have someone turn your key to the run position, do not start, while you hold the stem of the valve open, much like you would to let air out of a tire. See if you get fuel coming out there. Lemmi know what happens and we can go from there.

This is the most likely condition, I see it every day. To help avoid this make sure you keep a full tank of gas when you know its going to be very cold, this reduces the chances that water will be in the line, and that will keep it floating up on top of the gas away from your pump.

4thgenceli
01-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Check the maf, clean em up. Could be air leaks as well (intake, etc).

bekks
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
I'll check the fuel rail "valve" and maf tomorrow. I did try and start it again yesterday since it has been warm for the last few days and it did the same thing - cranks strong, maybe even a little too easy, but that could be my imagination. I pulled all the plugs again and they are all wet with fuel. I'll check for spark again too tomorrow.

bman200437
01-27-2011, 01:46 AM
it is low on gas and I have the owner bringing me some more gas. Also the motor has not been apart but instead has been a transplant. it was ordered and shipped to us and we dropped it in. I have played a little with the mass air and doesnt seem to make a difference. If the car sits for about ten seconds and i try it again it fires right back up to stall back out. I was just curious to see if there where any tips or tricks to try. I am more of a honda man my self but this car intrigues me and i cant leave it alone until it runs..

Thanks for the help

sorry for the thread hijack. Just figured that we were having a similar problem why create another thread..

CriScO
01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Have either of you checked compression?

UtahSleeper
01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
If the plugs are wet with fuel I would think that means you may not be getting good spark. I would suggest getting a cheap spark checker just to rule it out. Also maybe pull the plug itself and see if it is actually sparking.

CollapsedNut
01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah I didnt think about that. Even tho they are wet, they may not be getting enough fuel and that would explain the sputtering. Its hard to tell without being at the car.

bman200437
01-27-2011, 08:35 PM
we have checked the compression. He has narrowed it down to a fuel problem today while I was at work. The pump primes then shuts off and doesnt come back on until you turn the key off and back on. This has me wondering if there is a main relay some where that we dont know about??

CriScO
01-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Just the EFI main in the compartment right next to the battery.

bman200437
01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
ok guys finally got some time to mess with this thing seems like the injectors are not fireing I have two ecus and they wont fire with either ecu??? Im really scratching my head here what makes the injectors fire on these motors? I know the cold start one is working because letting the car sit for a few min it starts then shuts off. I have jumped the fuel pump so it runs any time the key is on and still no go. How ever we can keep the car running if we spray starting fluid/carb cleaner in through one of the vaccum ports.. I have checked the ignition switch and it checks out. I have chased down wire after wire but I am out of options...

alltracman78
01-31-2011, 02:22 AM
The ECU grounds the injectors.
Check for 12v with the key on at the black/orange or black/red wire [I can't remember which color it is].
the other wire is going to be the ground, which the ECU switches on and off.

If there's 12v at the injectors with the key on plug the connectors back in, leave the key on and check for 12v at the injector wires going into the ECU. Leave it connected.

*Sorry, I didn't put the black/orange [Thanks Crisco :)] wire at the injector connector. The other injector wire goes to the ECU and is grounded internally when the injector is supposed to open.*

CriScO
01-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Black/orange is the ignition/fuel positive.

v8killer
02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
try putting a quart of acetone or MEK in the tank if your in cold weather with a dirty fuel system and not enough fuel it might help to have a bit more atomization. check the resistor pack as well. and of course what was mentioned above

alltracman78
02-04-2011, 06:55 PM
It doesn't have a resistor, which is why it wasn't mentioned..................................

Luni
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I hate to argue with the first post on here, but Ive personally had a timing belt jump time in bad weather. The pulleys got stiffer harder to turn, the rubber got harder and more brittle, something happened, but it was PearlJammzz car on here, however it was a 5S, but his was the same boat. He parked his car, went to start it a few weeks later to keep the engine happy throughout the winter, and bam wouldnt start. Got the car towed to my house in the spring, had to reset the timing belt.

v8killer
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
hrmmmm...... i know on the 88-89 there are. well guess i learned something new

alltracman78
02-04-2011, 07:29 PM
hrmmmm...... i know on the 88-89 there are. well guess i learned something new
No they don't.
1st gen 3SGEs don't have injector resistors, 87, 88 or 89.

I hate to argue with the first post on here, but Ive personally had a timing belt jump time in bad weather. The pulleys got stiffer harder to turn, the rubber got harder and more brittle, something happened, but it was PearlJammzz car on here, however it was a 5S, but his was the same boat. He parked his car, went to start it a few weeks later to keep the engine happy throughout the winter, and bam wouldnt start. Got the car towed to my house in the spring, had to reset the timing belt.
Definitely could be, I've seen it happen too.

v8killer
02-04-2011, 07:38 PM
my bad, may have projected that from seeing my alltrac have the resistor pack in the same looking engine bay.