PDA

View Full Version : Worth rebuilding?

UtahSleeper
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
So, I have recently seen a blown 3sgte out of an MR2 for 50 bucks or less. The guy said this about it:

"I don't know what let go inside. Haven't pulled the head off. It dieseled some after letting go (and shutting ignition off) and flamed out of the engine lid.
It's out of a 91 mr2. Some stuff is gone, but there are a few usable parts left on it. I don' know the head or cylinder condition."

So, my question is, just off what you read could this thing be rebuildable or would it be smarter to just buy a complete JDM motor. I am considering this for my ST165 which has a mangled short block and nothing else.

CollapsedNut
01-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Do you want a project engine? $50 isnt bad for a project. You wont know till you break it apart. It would be something to do as a side project on weekends. You may get lucky and just need some bearings and rings. Its up to you if you wanna take the time or not.

UtahSleeper
01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Yea. The time isn't too much of a concern for me. My poor alltrac has been sitting for around 2 years. I have never rebuilt a motor and wasn't sure if it would be worth the time and effort to gather the motor and see whats salvageable.

CollapsedNut
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Its really up to you. If its somthing youll enjoy doing and learning then yeah its worth it. If you get into it and find the block is toast then your not out much money.

Facime
01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
its certainly cheap enough that even if it turns out to be a boat anchor you will probably be able to $50 worth of parts off of it. I personally enjoying taking apart stuff that blew up just to witness the devastation.