PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about DSMs?

Grot
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Im looking at trading my celica for a 1g DSM turbo.

What do i need to know about them? Anything i need to look for?

Heres the CL ad (http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2151939801.html)

It a 1g Laser

UtahSleeper
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't. The little time that I had one I was not impressed with the interior or motor design.

But, from what I know, the big issue with them is electrical. The ECU likes popped/leaking caps. When you replace them then it's not to bad.

I just was not a fan of mine.

CollapsedNut
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I have heard lots of storys about them blowing up. May be from driver error tho. They are cool cars IMO, but they seem to have lots of problems. the 4g63 engine isnt bad. Thats an EVO motor. Id be weary of its condition, he says it was rebuilt, but by who?

BabyBear
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't touch that DSM. I'm 100% positive that particular one will give you absolutely nothing but problems.

If you want another car that'll sit for a few years before it's running right again, then go for it!

I wouldn't own a DSM unless A) It was in very good condition(which that one is obviously not), and B) I knew I had the finances to fix whatever broke before it broke.

Night_Wolf
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Haha my buddy owned an 87 Conquest and it broke and my other buddy owns a number of 1g eclipses and all he said was "Welcome to the world of DSM's" aka they break a lot

Grot
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Alright fuck that then. I will just try to find myself a truck. They are just easier to work on.

BabyBear
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
What happened to your ranger?

Luni
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Actually from a parts perspective that DSM has some decent shit on it.

A few things though.

Is it AWD (if it isnt, dont bother)
Other than the wheels and taillights, it looks somewhat ok.

How much does he want for it?

Grot
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
What happened to your ranger?

Sold it to buy Murgs Buick. My wife now drives the Buick.
She cant drive manual so she couldnt use my truck.

Actually from a parts perspective that DSM has some decent shit on it.

A few things though.

Is it AWD (if it isnt, dont bother)
Other than the wheels and taillights, it looks somewhat ok.

How much does he want for it?

He wants to trade for my celica.

And its FWD.

Needs paint, the wheels and lights have to go as you said.

Its a 2 hour drive from me, im still not real sure.

I already found a truck im going to look at tomorrow.

85 F150 302 Windsor with a 4 speed granny gear

Grot
01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I may hold out for a truck with the 300 I6 though. thats what i really want.

Luni
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Well, if your celica was really worth 2k, then it wouldnt be a fair trade for you for sure.

If youre using it for a daily, youd be dumb anyway. You dont daily drive a DSM. You just dont.

So, in your position, I wouldnt do it.

Grot
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes it would be a daily.

Im gonna pass on it and find another truck to run the dragon with

kungFUBAR
01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
You dont daily drive a DSM. You just dont.

QFT

I have a coworker who's into DSM cars, he dd's his 406ci Mustang and big block Chevy dually just so nothing breaks on his 1g

UtahSleeper
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
QFT

I have a coworker who's into DSM cars, he dd's his 406ci Mustang and big block Chevy dually just so nothing breaks on his 1g

LOL!!!! That is bad.

alltracNyx
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Michigan is the place you want to be to buy a DSM and get parts for it for cheap. Most of the people we know in the Kzoo, MI area are into them. Glad you decided against this, otherwise you would have been dubbed a traitor :P

Luni
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I wouldnt fault a car enthusiast for selling a plain jane 4th gen coupe for a turboed DSM. However, I just wouldnt want him to daily drive it.

I daily drove a DSM once. It was fine. But I also went through it and rebuilt the engine and replaced everything in there that could have gone wrong. We got over 50k miles on that rebuild before something did go wrong. And when it did, it was cause my buddy Travis didnt bolt down the oil cooler bolts correctly, it fell off, lost oil, engine ran low, developed knock.

That engine was stout.

Eric Barrera
01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I wouldnt fault a car enthusiast for selling a plain jane 4th gen coupe for a turboed DSM. However, I just wouldnt want him to daily drive it.

I daily drove a DSM once. It was fine. But I also went through it and rebuilt the engine and replaced everything in there that could have gone wrong. We got over 50k miles on that rebuild before something did go wrong. And when it did, it was cause my buddy Travis didnt bolt down the oil cooler bolts correctly, it fell off, lost oil, engine ran low, developed knock.

That engine was stout.

Wow, that's a epic fail

Luni
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah. It really was.

Oh well. It was a fun car.

Cavanagh
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Glad you didn't do it Grot, DSMs break....Alot

CriScO
01-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I wouldnt fault a car enthusiast for selling a plain jane 4th gen coupe for a turboed DSM.
See, this is why we fight. :hehe:

BabyBear
01-20-2011, 11:15 PM
See, this is why we fight. :hehe:

Your car isn't "plain jane", its got a rear seat oil sump! That shit is mad jdm tyte yo!

Eric Barrera
01-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Your car isn't "plain jane", its got a rear seat oil sump! That shit is mad jdm tyte yo!

Hey, you forgot the fart cannon that add's boost and the decals that make it 400 hp extra

Demz
01-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Coming from someone that owns a DSM (well kind of) and has connections to some of the bigger players in the Dissum game (Bushur, DSM Graveyard). They are shit boxes. I would not even attempt to own one unless I had at least 2 more vehicles to drive as you can never depend on them working. Honestly, I have like 6 friends with DSMs and NONE of them are currently running.

And to keep you from changing your mind, that guy seems like he doesn't know wtf he's talking about. Noobs + DSMs = imminent failure. Admittingly DSMs get most of their reputation from noobs blowing them up, but even the most thorough and knowledgeable person will own a jackstand racer.

CriScO
01-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Hey, you forgot the fart cannon that add's boost and the decals that make it 400 hp extra
I take offense to that, Magnaflow is not a fart can.

And my decals only add 350. :hehe:

Grot
01-21-2011, 04:09 AM
I take offense to that, Magnaflow is not a fart can.

And my decals only add 350. :hehe:

You may not have a fart can. But I seem to remember a 5" tach...

Hookecho
01-21-2011, 04:56 AM
But I seem to remember a 5" tach...

Wait, so he is a redneck.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-22-2011, 01:20 AM
At least the rear floorplan won't rust.

CriScO
01-22-2011, 05:47 AM
You know my ridiculously unnecessary tach is the shit! :laugh:

Wait, so he is a redneck.
Actually I think it's the mexican blood.

celica91gts
02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
1g's are a lot better then the 2g's mainly because there are less cases of 1g's getting crank walk. (6 bolt vs 7 bolt trannys) a few of my friends own dsm's. just yesterday i was driving my friends gsx and as i started it the check engine light turned off and he was like "NO! my car drives smoother when my check engine light is on!" and i was just lmfao, and then he said "stfu its a dsm you wouldn't understand." i found it quite comical.

Luni
02-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Its not the trannies, its the flywheels. And the ONLY 1Gs that are exempt from crankwalk are the 89-91s. The 92-93s got 7bolt engines also and they too have issues.

zmile06
02-05-2011, 01:05 AM
There shitty, end of story.

Luni
02-05-2011, 07:54 AM
They really are fun to play with. You can learn ALOT about tuning a turboed car, and working on hard to work on stuff by owning a DSM.

I like them. Even though I know theyre shit boxes, I like them. They go fast for cheap, and parts are a dime a dozen. And you have a community full of empathetic people who have experience what youre going through by owning one. :)

Im not saying to go buy one, but if I had the space to have a project 1G with a 6 bolt, I would.

Demz
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Any car can crank walk. Its just that the 2g's are more prone to it than most cars, particular the early years (95-96). In generally it is believed that 1g's have no greater chance to crank walk than any other car. I've also heard the 1g with 7bolt may have a slightly higher chance to. But who knows DSM guys are retarded and not known for their maintenance upkeep skills; they would rather buy a big turbo and turn the boost up to 30psi than rebuild their 16 year old engine.

It is believed that the cause of 7 bolts crank walking is due to failed thrust bearings. I would have also accepted crappily designed oil squirters as that's what DSM guys believe for the longest time util they got schooled by old school GM muscle car guys on how to prevent crankwalk.

Also for DSM forums, goto DSMTalk. And when you get there, lurk moar and lurk hard. 99% of the info you would ever need is already archived. And if you see DSM Loki, call him an ignorant newfag. :D

alltracNyx
02-06-2011, 01:55 AM
And if you see DSM Loki, call him an ignorant newfag. :D

Bwahahaha, you sir are an asshole, but it's still funny!

bloodMoney
02-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Aww....

I lerrrve my Loki :(

Demz
02-06-2011, 04:06 AM
He knows I think he's pretty, he wont be too butt hurt. Unless I get ahold of him Bwuahaha.