PDA

View Full Version : Hi im new, in need of help to fine 88 rear struts.

MrMcQuacker
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello, Names Mike.
I've been searching for a while now. I can't seem to find rear struts for my car. I've tried a few performance shops around my area. I also called my local dealership and they say they have it but its like $210 per strut. I was like, I am sorry but WHAT!. haha :( way too much for me. i hope i didn't get myself into serious trouble buying this car and have no ways of buying certain things.

Grot
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.2kracing.com/Category/Toyota/Celica/Shocks_&_Struts.html

MrMcQuacker
01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey i like the site but the struts say except all trac. I cant use the
m.

MrMcQuacker
01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey i like the site but the struts say except all trac. I cant use the
m.

Galcobar
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Check with Lithia Toyota -- they're a board vendor, have their own forum and currently have a promotion for on-line orders. Alternately, check 1sttoyotaparts.com, which has a long-standing connection to this board. Both provide are Toyota dealerships, but prices are substantially lower than what you'd typically find by walking into the parts department. If you're looking aftermarket, say KYB, I've had good experiences with Rockauto.com

Not terribly familiar with the fourth-gen All-trac, are the rear struts rebuildable or sealed?

MrMcQuacker
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
i just checked 1sttoyotaparts.com. unless its wrong they dont have it or they do but it says EXCEPT alltrac :(. Does anyone have part number for the rear? that would make it much easier :). i really need these. on small little dips and bumps my rear is like carving the fender and its taking rubber off :(. i dont want new tires yet.

Hookecho
01-19-2011, 08:42 PM
1988 toyota celica (st165l-blmvza)
tboat usa lb 3sgte mtm 5f

absorber assy, shock, rear rh
48530‑20180 - st165 1 $137.81

absorber assy, shock, rear lh
48540‑20180 - st165 1 $137.81

ChrisD
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Most people convert the original sealed units to be able to accept insert style struts. It's not terribly hard to do, and is definitely cheaper than buying from Toyota. I think I paid $40 for the welding, then whatever the strut insert of your choice costs ($50-300). We can help you choose compatible struts if you decide to go that way.

If you want to stay with the sealed units, stock from Toyota is the only way. Lithia Toyota prices are good though, and they have a special on right now for new customers.

Here's a how-to on doing the conversion: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?6031-How-To-Rear-Strut-Conversion-to-Inserts-Coilover-Conversion

MrMcQuacker
01-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey Thank you for the part number. I am sorry for my NOOBNESS, But i input the part # into lithiatoyota and nothing came up. I also put the part # in 1sttoyotaparts and nothing poped up. Where do I put these into what site to purchase them?

Hookecho
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I just put in the part # at Lithia Toyota and it worked for me. You can search by part # on the home page. Just copy and past the part # into the search box.

http://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215542

MrMcQuacker
01-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Perfect i might buy them very soon. But quick question. i see 3 different catalogs. which 1 do i buy or are they all the same? top says struts. middle says shock absorber. last says absorber assy, shock

alltracman78
01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
If you just call them they can answer your questions.............

Rear shocks are available only from Toyota on the Alltracs. You'll either have to buy from them or modify yours like Chris said.

In your case shock and strut should be the same thing. I don't think Toyota sells them assembled [with the spring].