PDA

View Full Version : ST18x suspension on a st16x chassis

4thgenceli
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm posting this over here from st162.net also seeing as there's more 5th gen owners here that may be able to chime in on this.

We all know that HP means nothing unless it can be delivered to the ground and the vehicle remain in control. This is why I will need to replace my suspension (200+k miles). There are not a lot of aftermarket suspensions for the ST162 except for struts/springs. I would rather go for a full coilover setup (ex Megan's, D2, etc).

From what I have found, in order to make the ST182 Megan's coilovers fit on the ST162 chassis, the caster/camber bolts need to be bored out 1 or 2mm. The other solution is to swap the st162 hubs and control arms for the st182 hubs and control arms.

Now my question (this was brought up over there). Does drilling that extra 1 or 2mm out to accept the larger bolts introduce any chassis or strength problems in the hub? I wouldn't be taking a drill to it, but rather to an auto shop and use a professional drill press and oil to drill out the hubs.

OR would it just be wiser/safer to swap over the st182 hubs and control arms (and would anything else be required besides the hubs/control arms)?

ChrisD
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
It's some pretty solid cast iron there, I don't think there would be any structural issues at all - especially with how little material you would be removing.

KoreanJoey
01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Um... why not just use the smaller bolts?

187flatliner
01-22-2011, 07:59 AM
^^^ cause you wouldnt ever be able to align in properly

KoreanJoey
01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Um... camber plates? Pretty sure the Megans have them already.