PDA

View Full Version : Needing Advise

1991Celica
01-16-2011, 04:21 AM
About 3 months ago, i was driving my Celica, and i accidently over heated it, and had to get a new radiator for it... It started acting better then all of a sudden, it started knocking slightly, and smoking bad... My boyfriend owned the car for about 3 years with no issues at all and then i bought it from him and ever since, its been one thing after another, i was just needing some advise on what could be the main cause for the knocking and smoking, i know i might need to get a new engine, just wonding if anything else could be causing this issue.
Thanks, Laura.:smile1:

187flatliner
01-16-2011, 04:36 AM
well to be honest with you, we need more details. you say its knocking where do you hear the knocking coming from, does it speed up when accelerating or does it stay the same level? what type of smoke? blue, gray, white? does the motor overheat anymore? do your fans kick on? when was the last time the oil was changed? when you replaced the rad did you check for the hg? replace the thermostat? does the knocking sound go away after awhile?

these questions can help us determine a route to go.

take your time and describe in the best detail you can. its okay if you dont know your way around a motor, or if you do great. we're here to help the best we can.

and welcome to celicatech.

1991Celica
01-16-2011, 05:53 PM
the knocking sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the engine... and when i am driving, it gets worse the faster i drive. if i drive really slow, i dont hear it hardly at all. the smoke is gray. i have to put oil it in, just about all the times i drive, and also, its using more and more gas. sometimes when i am driving it has no power it seems like and sometimes it is fine.. my fans do come on but it takes them a longer time to kick on. i am not sure when the last time the oil was changed, my boyfriend had the car when that was done. my boyfriend thinks that its the head gasket, but i wanted someone elses opinion on this situation. i drove it about a month or two before it started knocking really bad after i replaced the radiator, then one day it started knocking bad and now, its quiet but i still don't like to drive it cause i dont know what is causing it and i dont want to make more damage.

Facime
01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
best advice I have is sell the car quick.

Knock, smoke, oil use and lack of power all point to imminent engine failure and you'll get more from the sale of the car if its at least still driveable when you try to sell it. Sorry for the bad news, but that's the most likely scenario.

1991Celica
01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I have put it up for sale and everything but it would just be so sad to see it go, cause its been around for a long time. i just hoped that i would be able to fit it fast and i wouldn't have to see it go.

187flatliner
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
you can get another motor pretty cheap..... it would take you about 6 to 8 hours to pull and replace it. does your boyfriend know is way around a car? im not too sure cuz if he doesnt know what rod knock is........it most defiantly isnt the hg......up here in oregon theres motors here for like 400. or you can try to find another one that has a bad body but good motor and transplant that one over. then scrap the rest you dont want.....but yeah other then that i would sell the car and use the funds to buy another one....celicas they get addicting

rizin
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
How long after it over heated did it start knocking? How much are you having to fill up the radiator fluid?

1991Celica
01-17-2011, 04:15 AM
About a month, but it started having a problem starting and it was loosing radiator fluid. I have to fill the radiator fluid up every time i drive it, its always a little low.