PDA

View Full Version : Diagnostics

Grot
01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Looking at this (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2154005076.html).

Any way to tell if it really is just a head gasket?

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Only way is to go look at it and start it up.

I bought my GTS parts car from a guy who said it had a "blown head gasket". Started it up and listened to the water pump bearings. No oil in the radiator, no white smoke. Just oil in the spark plug tubes from bad grommets. $40 fix.

drdevil
01-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Oil in the radiator?
Oil looks like a melted chocholate shake?
Rusty plugs?
Cleaned pistons? (if you can see them after plug removal)
Oil and/or coolant around the h. gasket area?
Also sometimes I've seen oil and coolant in the intake.....

BTW... That was a bad snow storm to drive thru.... IMHO

Hookecho
01-16-2011, 02:47 AM
People blame a lot of stuff on blown head gaskets. Just take a look at it and look for the tell all signs. If the car is good shape I would offer him $1200 and fix whatever is wrong with it. Even if it was a head gasket it would still be a good deal. The only bad thing is not knowing what else could go wrong but that's how it is with older used cars.

CriScO
01-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Who cares? It needs to be replaced with a 3S anyway. Problem solved. :)

Grot
01-16-2011, 06:29 AM
People blame a lot of stuff on blown head gaskets. Just take a look at it and look for the tell all signs. If the car is good shape I would offer him $1200 and fix whatever is wrong with it. Even if it was a head gasket it would still be a good deal. The only bad thing is not knowing what else could go wrong but that's how it is with older used cars.

Thats what im worried about. It almost seems like too good a deal to be true.

Who cares? It needs to be replaced with a 3S anyway. Problem solved. :)

It already has a boosted 3s in it.

Also a car *should* run with a BHG right?

CriScO
01-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Lol, I should look at the headlines, huh?

But yes, it should run. Something else is probably causing that.

MCcelica
01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Whether or not it runs would depend on how badly it's blown. I mean, if it's bad enough to where none of the cylinders can get compression, it might be able to start, but it wouldn't stay running for very long. But I mean if it's only blown between a coolant line and a cylinder or something like that, yes it will run. You just don't want to run it for real long or you could warp the head.

CriScO
01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Whether or not it runs would depend on how badly it's blown. I mean, if it's bad enough to where none of the cylinders can get compression, it might be able to start, but it wouldn't stay running for very long. But I mean if it's only blown between a coolant line and a cylinder or something like that, yes it will run. You just don't want to run it for real long or you could warp the head.
True, I should have elaborated. I was drunk, okay? :hehe:

The point I was trying to make was that if the head gasket was blown bad enough to kill compression then I wouldn't trust the integrity of the motor.

temperacerguy
01-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Looking at the engine bay, it has the stock air cleaner on it, which is pretty much the first mod any MR2 owner does (as it's the easiest). I doubt it's been modded to the point of blowing a hole through the piston, but a blown head gasket on a stock 3S is pretty rare without severe overheating. I would run a compression check on it, and go from there.