PDA

View Full Version : 92 gts rear struts

aelaf
01-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I am going to tackle rear struts on the wife's 92 gts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I will pass on what ever I learn after doing this job. Also what struts would be best to order if I was to use ebay as some people have suggested. Thank you.

Grot
01-14-2011, 11:42 PM
KYB-GR2s are the stock replacement. Koni Yellows are regarded as the best sub-coilovers

aelaf
01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Thank you much. I will look for those now.

aelaf
01-15-2011, 06:08 AM
dang this thing is hard to use! anyway, It seems like you have to remove the brake lines to pull the strut. I am going to grind the bracket out with a metabo so I don't have to do the whole brake bleeding thing. Is this a bad idea?

Grot
01-15-2011, 06:50 AM
You shouldnt have to remove brake lines.

Im not a 5th gen owner, but that sounds absurd.

Hopefully someone who has redone a 5th gen suspension can chime in and tell you for sure.

Grot
01-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Looking through the BGB it looks like you have to remove the brake line.

And i wouldnt recommend grinding anything out as a precation not to mess up and have to run new brake line.

Galcobar
01-15-2011, 08:17 AM
The brake lines yes, must be removed from the struts -- they're run through a bracket welded onto the struts and held in with a U-clip. Bleeding the brakes is not that big a deal, will probably take about as much time as cutting through the bracket -- twice, since you'd have to do it to the new strut as well -- and does not have the downsides of weakening the bracket or as noted potentially severing a brake line.

However, I would advise against assuming that all you have to do is replace the struts. The strut mounts are almost certain to need replacing, as are the spring seat insulators (rubber disks which cushion the spring and keep it from grinding/clunking on the strut). Your stabilizer bar end links are probably in need of replacement, and if not are still likely to be near impossible to remove intact. The strut boots could probably use replacing, but those you can inspect on the car prior to ordering your parts

Best guide I've read, even if it is for an MR2: http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Suspension/ReplaceSpringStrut-1.HTM The rears on our cars are somewhat simpler since the struts are replaced, rather than swapping new shock inserts into the struts. Torque numbers for the Celica should be obtained from the BGB.

KoreanJoey
01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
I cut a slit into the bracket and just bend it out of the way to fish the brake line out.

aelaf
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
3/8 notch should let brake line slip right out and back in on new strut. theres still the hex that the line sets in and clips hold in place. I wouldnt mind bleeding the brakes but I know the line wont come apart and I will end up replaceing that also. I will post results when Im done.

aelaf
01-19-2011, 03:22 AM
You were absolutely correct! I should have listened to your advice. I do need to replace the upper mounts because of the rubber boot. Now I have to order that to finish the job. I do have both struts out and all is going well. Thank you for the information. Notching the brake line bracket did work well and I will post pictures when I'm done. Thanks again.

KoreanJoey
01-22-2011, 06:31 AM
PS: AFAIK there aren't any commercial coil-over available for the 5th gen with shocks anywhere as good as the Konis.

aelaf
01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Job is done and went well. Thanks for the help.