PDA

View Full Version : Couple issues

Grot
01-11-2011, 02:46 AM
1) My heat only works sometimes. There doesnt seem any specific time it works or doesnt work.

I have the electronic HVAC that seems to have so many problems. I only have High fan speed as well.

2) Will it damage my car in any way to run it with the timing incorrect? It has decent power below 5k rpms. Does seem to have an audible ticking sound (top end).

3) My oil pressure doesnt seem to be constant. At crusing speed it will be halfway on the gauge. at idle it will be at 1/4 of the gauge. Will this be an issue in the long run?

4) How many quarts of oil does a 1g 3sge hold? it has between 4.5 and 5.25 quarts in it. (I have an 88 block and an 86 dipstick so the reading doesnt match up correctly. i just use it to judge loss.

5) When should the first oil change be during breakin?

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-11-2011, 03:10 AM
1.Gonna have to check the heater lines and just start there

2.It wont cause damage right away but running it like that for a long period of time can cause damage.

3.What kind of gauge is it and are you sure it might not be a faulty gauge?

4.Should be less then 5qts.The GTE motor takes about 4.5 The GE should be about 4 to 4 and a 1/4 max

5.On breaking period I always changed the oile 3 times before 1k.First one is after letting the motor idle for about 10 min and then at 500 and then at 1k.

Grot
01-11-2011, 03:19 AM
1.Gonna have to check the heater lines and just start there

2.It wont cause damage right away but running it like that for a long period of time can cause damage.

3.What kind of gauge is it and are you sure it might not be a faulty gauge?

4.Should be less then 5qts.The GTE motor takes about 4.5 The GE should be about 4 to 4 and a 1/4 max

5.On breaking period I always changed the oile 3 times before 1k.First one is after letting the motor idle for about 10 min and then at 500 and then at 1k.

1. Heater lines are good. just fixed a leak in one.

2. ok im gonna change it soon as it warms up a little

3. OEM and im pretty sure it is accurate

4. ok i can look in my manual i was just asking since i started the thread

5. it on its first oil and just has 200 miles on so i will chagne it at 500

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-11-2011, 03:22 AM
OE oil pressure gauge? hmmn interesting

Grot
01-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Yes, 4g GTS had these.

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-11-2011, 03:27 AM
didnt know that,thx for the info

rizin
01-11-2011, 03:38 AM
I have never had to deal with a Auto heater or A/c unit. Damn there is to many things going on with that system. With the auto system it is a turn dial to control the blower speed?

Never mind I am looking at wiring schematics and I guess it 4 buttons.

Grot
01-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Yes it's a 5 button design with off low medium high and auto.

The position selector buttons work fine. (defrost feet dash mix and auto)

The temp slider does kinda work. On cold it blows cold on hot it sometimes blows hot.

rizin
01-11-2011, 04:43 AM
On the speed settings part of things I would check and see if you are getting voltages at the blower resistor. On high it bypasses the resistor 12v straight to the motor. All other settings have to pas through it and then to the motor.

Grot
01-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Medium will work sometimes. and then it will just shutoff randomly.

CriScO
01-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Yes, 4g GTS had these.
Actually all fourth gens did.

Oil pressure goes up with RPM, it sounds like you're still in the normal range.

Grot
01-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Actually all fourth gens did.

Oil pressure goes up with RPM, it sounds like you're still in the normal range.

Makes me feel a little better. No backseat lake, and no audible difference between oil pressures.

Basically as long as i have pressure of at least 1/4 on the gauge i should be fine?

CriScO
01-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Lol! Yes, 1/4 is fine.

And it's only mechanical gauges that make the lake. :p

T-spoon
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
When it's not giving you heat, reach under the dash/console from the passenger side, find the metal arm that controls the flapper door for the vent and manually move it. If it gives you heat, you've probably got the typical issue with contacts on the HVAC unit. I'm so used to moving that thing on my 88 'trac I can find it in less than a second while driving without looking away from the road :hehe: