PDA

View Full Version : S/S brake lines

Punisher
04-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Anyone have info on em? Do they make any real difference in braking feel/performance? I'm gonna hit up a local hydraulic shop tomorrow and see what I can dig up.. I just wanna do the fronts for right now.. But if anyone has some info on the whole scene that you can share I'd appreciate it.

blck87gtconv
04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes.. they will stiffen up the brake feel a bit and be MUCH more reliable than stock. Would be a good idea to upgrade your brake fluid at the same time to DOT 4 or better.

MoralWarfare
04-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes.. they will stiffen up the brake feel a bit and be MUCH more reliable than stock. Would be a good idea to upgrade your brake fluid at the same time to DOT 4 or better.
:stupid: sensible option above DOT 4 being DOT 5.1.

blck87gtconv
04-23-2005, 09:46 PM
:stupid: sensible option about DOT 4 being DOT 5.1.
Right.. forgot to mention.. NOT silicone.

Gurr
05-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Sorry, to bring this post back. but I was wondering if I anyone could tell me where to get some Stainless Steel Brake lines that have a coating on the outside so debris does not get in them?

Thanks

ChrisD
05-23-2005, 09:10 PM
We had an Alltrac group purchase here: http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4443

Maybe you can still get a set.

MrWOT
05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
It's much easier to feel the edge of lockup with the steel lines installed, much more direct feel.

ChrisD
05-24-2005, 04:04 AM
It's much easier to feel the edge of lockup with the steel lines installed, much more direct feel.

Exactly what I'm hoping for. Can't wait to get them. :)

Adrian Avgerinos
05-24-2005, 03:51 PM
I've got SS braided lines on my car now and I can't tell if they are better or not compared to new OEM lines. As I changed calipers at the same time, and was using 14 year old lines, any differences are null and void.

roman
05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I guess they're supposed to offer some improvement over old OEM lines made of aging rubber. I replaced my 15 year old OEM lines with SS lines when I changed my brakes and I only felt the difference at high speeds (like on the highway). During normal driving I didn't really feel anything. I was still pretty upset at the fact that my friend's '90 Miata with only 70k miles on it (I have 160k+) had a much stiffer brake pedal than mine, and he had the original rubber lines and what looked like the original fluid! My braking feel didn't really change until I replaced the old brake master cylinder which was apparently dying on me. Then my brake pedal finally became nice and firm like his. Then I was wondering if the SS lines were really worth it... But hey, they look nice! :)