PDA

View Full Version : No power above 5k rpms

Grot
01-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Like the title says in my 86 gts I have no power above 5k and it will barley even get to 6k. I'm honking there is a problem with my tvis system. And it is staying closed all the time and I'm just starving my engine of air. Any other suggestions?

Nitro_Alltrac
01-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Is the distributor still fully fully advanced?

Grot
01-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Yes it is.

rizin
01-07-2011, 03:43 AM
I ran into almost the same problem with my Accord. I couldn't get the damn car to go faster then 80 mph. Thought I had some detination so I pulled the plugs and they confirmed it at lower speeds. So I checked the timing and it was was off and couldn't get it adjusted with the dist. Ended up being the mechanical timing was off two teeth on the cam gear. Once I had that fixed it climbed well above 80 when needed.

Grot
01-07-2011, 04:05 AM
TVIS was just my assumption. It does seem to take off a little right around 3600 RPMS but i cant tell if this is TVIS engaging or just reaching the power band.

Slider
01-07-2011, 04:06 AM
I ran into almost the same problem with my Accord. I couldn't get the damn car to go faster then 80 mph. Thought I had some detination so I pulled the plugs and they confirmed it at lower speeds. So I checked the timing and it was was off and couldn't get it adjusted with the dist. Ended up being the mechanical timing was off two teeth on the cam gear. Once I had that fixed it climbed well above 80 when needed.

I had the same issue, I guess 180k on the original timing belt will do that :wacko:

Grot
01-07-2011, 04:53 AM
This is a brand new belt. I'm guessing I just have to adjust my mechanical timing. Oh how I love doing this with the engine in the car.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Aaron, I'm really thinking it's in the timing. The distributor shouldn't be fully advance for it to run. That should be giving problems in itself. I'd check the mechanical timing and see where you're at. I think that might very well take care of the problem.

Grot
01-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Im going to work on it sunday. Me and my dad will adjust the timing.

Im fairly certian my cams are timed correctly, but i dont think the crank is lined up right to the cams.

Nitro_Alltrac
01-08-2011, 04:05 AM
I'd start by setting the crank at zero (making sure you're at TDC) and then see what the cam marks are showing.

Demz
01-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Hey my car doesn't make power above 5k either, tho my issue may be vastly different than yours. *cough22Rcough*

Sorry about the useless post, but I thought it was funny. Here's a free bump. :P