PDA

View Full Version : 1993 3s-GTE

chickenstomp
12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Ok so I bought this car from Geebes here on the forums. Day 1 - retainer clip broke and dropped the valve into one of the cyinders *cringe*.

Anyways got the head repaired, new piston, etc. Everything was done to fix it up and she runs nicely now. The mechanic had the dang thing in his shop for 4 months. (Longest 4 months of my life)

Anyways again, Mr. mechanic man keeps telling me that these high-end engines are built for racing and require tons of maintenance and will break down again.

Do I have to worry about it breaking down again? How hard can I run it and not worry about it's life span? I drive pretty reserved, especially because of the snow, and the engine has $30K+ invested in it from the previous owners plus the $3,300 it cost me to fix it. Plus it supposedly has 10-15 thousand miles on it

And now I'm worried about giving it any gas to hear the BOV or even to put those D**N Honda civics (complete with beancan) back in their place cause I'm worried about it breaking again

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Street racing = bad. 'Nuff said.

Changing oil and being on top of maintenance and your engine will be fine. Modern turbos are designed a little bit better for halfwits who don't know how to replace fluids or check levels. Your 3SGTE will be reliable as long as you treat it with respect. There is a great section in here full of advice on how to keep the horses for a long time.

chickenstomp
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok thanks, I'll just read up on maintenance stuff for turboed cars

joe's gt
12-31-2010, 06:44 AM
hit and miss with the 3sgte. Some of them are fine and some of them are nightmares.

ChrisD
12-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Most of the time, the 3SGTE is perfectly reliable. The ones that have issues are usually avoidable, and due to something that the owner had done. (like turn up the boost too much, neglect maintenance, ignore warning signs)

Nitro_Alltrac
01-01-2011, 02:32 AM
I probably drive mine as much or more than anybody. I've put over 50,000 mine in 4 years. Drive it almost everyday. I've had very little trouble that wasn't of my own making out of it. As long as you keep the maintenance up and don't abuse it like a d*ckhead, it will be pretty much as reliable as any Toyota. Run the living hell out of it all the time, turn the boost up to 20 lbs without the right mods, don't maintain it, it will break and leave you walking. But do that to pretty much any car and that will happen.

Most 3SGTE's that have a lot of issues have been abused, not maintained, poorly modified, ect. Your mechanic is probably not used to working on turbo, twin cam engines. There aren't a lot of them out there.

Shadowlife25
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Geebes took meticulous care of that car. I am sorry to hear that you had issue with it.

My best advice would be this: FIND A NEW MECHANIC.
4 months is inexcusable and he obviously does not have experience in boosted engines.

I have a 91 that had been daily driven for 60,000 miles and it is still on the original turbo.
I did have major maintenance to do but that is to be expected from a 20 year old car.

Take care to read through our information sections here.
You will finds lots of sound advice that will keep you running for years to come.

usp45
01-02-2011, 02:35 AM
3s-gte's are pure junk. I'll take that car off your hands for 50 bucks.

kidding, +1 on losing that mechanic.

The Captain
01-02-2011, 03:59 PM
My car had 157K miles on it. Everything worked fine when I yanked it. +100 on a new mechanic.

ChrisD
01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Also - what you experienced is certainly not typical. It's really rare for the 3S to fail like that.

Shadowlife25
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Also - what you experienced is certainly not typical. It's really rare for the 3S to fail like that.

True.

He NEEDS a new mechanic to service that car though ASAP.
The guy is just talking out of his ass to cover for his own shortcomings and lack of skill.
Is that someone you want to trust with your personal safety?

chickenstomp
01-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Ya definitely not going back to him. He even did the 500 mile break-in service when I only had 300 miles on it. So I should probably have that done again by someone else in a couple hundred miles maybe.

Cavanagh
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
As said, that mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. Take care of that car, please? I almost jumped the gun on it a few times. I love it. P.S.-Welcome to Celicatech

geebes
01-07-2011, 04:23 AM
I know horsepowerfreaks in Portland knows the 3sgte really well...it seems like there should be someone good around the area if you have to take it in anymore, but incase you can't I've heard that they are awesome. PS, when it is at full boost, you should be getting 14psi (I saw your other post...when the boost gauge is at 1 bar) Just be gentle, drive for your self, don't try to impress anyone. Thats all the advice I have.

chickenstomp
01-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Believe me I have been babying the crap out of it. I haven't even got CLOSE to redline, maybe halfway up the gauge and that's it. I can't afford for anything to happen to it again. Hey Cavanagh, are you a previous owner of this car or something?

Luni
01-07-2011, 11:40 PM
You dont need a new mechanic, you need to learn how to work on your car yourself.

I can almost promise you anyone on here who knows shit, also does their own work. I got sick and tired of people fucking my cars up so I learned how to work on them myself. 3SGTEs are very reliable, if you are a reliable owner. Change the oil, make sure it has coolant, dont beat the shit out of it every chance you get, and maintain it as you should, and you should get lots of smiles and grins out of it.

Couple words of advice. Dont let dumbasses work on your car (thats a given right?), and DONT buy cheap ass autozone/checker shit parts. OEM toyota parts dude. Im talking distributor caps, rotors, wires, thermostats, gaskets, seals, water pumps, alternators, etc.

Toyotas like Toyota parts.

ChrisD
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
You dont need a new mechanic, you need to learn how to work on your car yourself.

I can almost promise you anyone on here who knows shit, also does their own work. I got sick and tired of people fucking my cars up so I learned how to work on them myself. 3SGTEs are very reliable, if you are a reliable owner. Change the oil, make sure it has coolant, dont beat the shit out of it every chance you get, and maintain it as you should, and you should get lots of smiles and grins out of it.

Couple words of advice. Dont let dumbasses work on your car (thats a given right?), and DONT buy cheap ass autozone/checker shit parts. OEM toyota parts dude. Im talking distributor caps, rotors, wires, thermostats, gaskets, seals, water pumps, alternators, etc.

Toyotas like Toyota parts.

x INFINITY

The only work that I let someone else do for me these days is machining work. I lost TWO engines due to other mechanics. Never, ever, again.

Smaay
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
you have 30K+ in the engine?

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
The only work that I let someone else do for me these days is machining work. I lost TWO engines due to other mechanics. Never, ever, again.

On the rare occasion I went to a "trusted" mechanic to have my winter tires mounted to my new wheels they fucked up my car and tried to blame me. The mechanic was taking the wheels out of my GT's trunk and he forced the hinge and bent both it and my trunk lid. The phrase "grease monkey" is real. The more you learn and know the better off you'll be!

Cavanagh
01-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Hey Cavanagh, are you a previous owner of this car or something?
Nope, just almost bought it a few times. I love the car, and I know Geebes did not short cut anything on the car whatsoever.

chickenstomp
01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh I thought Geebes friend was the one that built it. I could be wrong though

lalojamesliz
01-12-2011, 12:06 AM
The only time a mechanic has touched my all-trac was when I had my clutch replaced since I didn't and still don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Learn how to do it youself, it's a great feeling when you fix something on your own car