PDA

View Full Version : Preparing the Celica for the Dragon

Hookecho
12-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I still have a lot of work to do to my Celica. I plan to have it painted Super Red within the next month.

I need to do some suspension work. I want to either replace the worn out struts with new ones that are at least 30% stiffer than stock or do coil overs. I haven't really researched anything yet so I don't know what is available or cost. What is a good after market shock? I would like to replace the bushings in the front end and rear too.

I also want to upgrade to a set of brake pads that have great stopping distance. Wear rate doesn't matter to me.

I'm going to buy some tires and mount those wheels I bought from Seth a few years ago. The wheel is a 15X7 I believe. What size tire would you guys recommend?

CriScO
12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Make sure to upgrade the brake fluid to DOT 4. That was my downfall in '09.

4thgenceli
12-29-2010, 07:33 PM

It wasn't a lack of oil?

4thgenceli
12-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd suggest ditching the auto trans :) (and a tune up, brakes, etc).

Murgatroy
12-29-2010, 07:44 PM

And your downfall in `10 was drinking too much.

Murgatroy
12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
I am running Hankooks. They are alright.

I also like the Megans I installed last year.

Hookecho
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd suggest ditching the auto trans :) (and a tune up, brakes, etc).

I'm tossing that idea around.

ChrisD
12-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I still have a lot of work to do to my Celica. I plan to have it painted Super Red within the next month.

Sweet! Looking forward to the pics. :)

I need to do some suspension work. I want to either replace the worn out struts with new ones that are at least 30% stiffer than stock or do coil overs. I haven't really researched anything yet so I don't know what is available or cost. What is a good after market shock? I would like to replace the bushings in the front end and rear too.

I guess it depends on budget. You can get a really good set of struts/springs for the cost of cheapo coilovers. On the 165 I went with new inserts and springs along with a Whiteline sway bar, and it handles great. On the 205 I am tossing around the idea of coilovers simply because so few options exist. One thing I do like about inserts is that you can always change them out with new units for a low cost.

For brands, Koni has a great reputation. A good budget option would be KYB AGX's (although I don't know what they have for your model, the STxx5's are what I know.

I also want to upgrade to a set of brake pads that have great stopping distance. Wear rate doesn't matter to me.

Hawk and Porterfield seem to work well. I'm on Porterfield's right now and have no complaints. I'd have to check which model I have...

Someone else mentioned fluid. Instead of DOT 4, go with DOT 5.1. Compatible and a higher boiling point than 4, for basically the same cost. (maybe a tad more)

I'm going to buy some tires and mount those wheels I bought from Seth a few years ago. The wheel is a 15X7 I believe. What size tire would you guys recommend?

I'll leave this to someone else...but I'd get 215's if you could fit them.

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 01:16 AM
I can get GR2's for $200 and Koni's for $350.

Waffles!
12-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Go Koni. It's worth the money.

Grot
12-30-2010, 03:41 AM
It wasn't a lack of oil?

Excess, He had an extra lake with him.

The Captain
12-30-2010, 03:52 AM
215 width on the tires

Hiko
12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
I can get GR2's for $200 and Koni's for $350.

Is that $350 for four Koni's? Where is that? If that really is the difference in price, I'd say Koni all the way. Also, it would be a good idea upgrade the springs at the same time if they haven't already been switched out.

I also want to upgrade to a set of brake pads that have great stopping distance.

Brake pads do not affect stopping distance. The main differences between performance pads are initial bite and where their temperature range is optimum. I would recommend either Hawk HPS's or HP plus's. I run the HPS's, they lasted a long time, have great bite, and work well for autox and around town brake temperature's. IIRC the HP plus's like a bit more heat in them. Don't get a racing pads, they require racing temperatures to work well, and below that, their bite a poor.

This is where you get your stopping distances. You could easily fit 225 width tires on there. If you don't care about your speedometer reading true, I'd say get as short as you can (unless you like cruising at 120 mph :) ). If you never use your car in snow and want uber performance, there is the hankook rs3 in a 225/45/15 size, but that might be a bit overkill.

Good luck with the building.

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Good info.

I just spoke with a friend who has a wrecked 91 st. He told me I could have anything I wanted from it. I'm going to get everything I need for an auto to manual swap for free. All I'll need is to find an manual transmission.

Murgatroy
12-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Good info.

I just spoke with a friend who has a wrecked 91 st. He told me I could have anything I wanted from it. I'm going to get everything I need for an auto to manual swap for free. All I'll need is to find an manual transmission.
Wewt!

What shape is his decklid in?

As for the tires, if you can fit a 225, go with that. Wider is always better. I am on 215s now.

As far as the GR2s, Cannon had them on his GT-S with some Eibach springs, and Chaos rides better with her cheapo coilovers than his GT-S did with the couple year old GR2s. Just food for thought.

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 06:05 AM
The front end is all that is damaged. So if you want anything let me know. I'll snag the trunk lid while I'm out there.

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 06:05 AM
what kind of coil overs do you have?

Ghost
12-30-2010, 06:36 AM
i belive he has megan racing ? i am going the same way. :)

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Are you guys just using the Megan coil over springs with the GR2's? I didn't see any for the Celica. I found some Megan lowering springs for $150. So I may use those with whatever struts I buy.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=522&catid=44

MCcelica
12-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I got a set of 4 ground control coilovers with koni yellows for about 1g. You can use the GR2's with them if you prefer, in order to drop the cost some. Have a look here: http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=89/CA=89

Murgatroy
12-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I bought a set of Megan Coilovers from Kevin (RedRckt) last year. They are the whole shebang. 30 way adjustable, ride height and preload. To be honest, I have them too low, get little bit of bumpsteer and I think I am killing my axles, but man, she looks good and hugs the road.

Hookecho
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, I want a good compromise between handling and riding comfort. I don't want my struts to be bottoming out. I also have to be budget minded. I will likely go with a set of Megan lowering springs and KYB's or Koni's. Tire rack has Koni's for $171 per front and rear set. KYB's are $180 for a set of 4. If my car is going to ride horrible with lowering springs then I will retain the factory springs and just buy the Koni's.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Celica+GTS&autoYear=1990&autoModClar=&brand=KONI

darthripley
12-31-2010, 03:44 AM
the KYB's are great struts, nothing wrong with them at all. in fact, the 4 way adjustable GAB struts i have on the alltrac are engraved KYB on the housings & they feel nice - not insanely stiff (on 2 setting for street).
porterfields are really good pads the R4S just dust like hell so if you have white rims they are gonna be brown real fast.
i've heard good things about EBC greenstuff pads but haven't tried them.
upgrade to SS brake lines if you haven't already - technafit makes good lines at a decent price & they are teflon coated which is nice.
i've bought really good Motul 5.1 brake fluid @ motorcycle shops locally for a good price, cheaper than teh interwebz.
for tires if you don't care about wearing fast Falken Azenis are top notch - i have a set on the alltrac that i can also auto-x with.
if you want an all around decent all season i'd go with Falken Ziex's or Hankook's.

Waffles!
12-31-2010, 05:24 AM
for tires if you don't care about wearing fast Falken Azenis are top notch - i have a set on the alltrac that i can also auto-x with.
if you want an all around decent all season i'd go with Falken Ziex's or Hankook's.

this is truth.

The Captain
12-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Wider is always better
/werd

Hiko
01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Tire rack has Koni's for $171 per front and rear set.
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Celica+GTS&autoYear=1990&autoModClar=&brand=KONI

Um...that $171 isn't for a front and rear set, it's for each individual strut. So Koni's are $684 for four.

Hookecho
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Crap! KYB's it is then.

KoreanJoey
01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm running the new Hankook RS3s 225/45R15, very, very sticky.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Does anyone run Monroe struts? I used them on Christine and was pretty happy with the results. I got mine, after rebate, for $170. They were damn good struts for DD and taking to the twisties on weekends. Is KYB really that much better? I've got some suspension work to do before I trek to the Dragon and I'm thinking of going the Sensatrack route with a set of 1"-1.5" lowering springs.

Hookecho
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Sensatracks are horrible. They are designed to give a soft, luxury car type ride and are not suitable for sport cars imo. I once put a set on my CRX SI along with new springs and they were worse than my worn out Macphersons. The car bottomed out very easily. The Celica has Sensatracs on it that were installed before I bought the car and it rides like poo.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Strange. I was pretty happy with them Monroes, they were a noticeable improvement.

I'm going to keep the budget pretty low on the suspension. I know for sure I need 2 new tires, and new shocks. I was going to look into getting an Eibach Pro-Kit, as I am not too terribly interested in driving across country on a track car. My ass lacks padding. I guess KYBs and EiBach Springs will be the route I'm taking.

I'll be swapping larger caliper and rotors next week. I want to drive the Dragon, not see it.

KoreanJoey
01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Noticeable improvement over blown shocks. Not good OE shocks.