PDA

View Full Version : I need help!!! 7afe to 3sgte swap

97celica_st
12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Ok so I have a 97 Toyota celica st 5-speed with 215k and want to do a motor swap but I am totally lost. I am not impressed about the 1.8 7AFE power at all so I want to swap it out but I don't have a couple thousand dollars to spend so I need some help figuring out what I should do. I've seen the 3SGTE swaps but all the forums said it costs about 4 grand!!! What would be the cheapest way to do a 3SGTE swap. I need a complete list of everything I need!

Galcobar
12-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Given you double-posted and asked for a complete list, I suggest you read this:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?46643

If it's too much to read, you're not going to manage the research needed for a swap.

That said, consider the sub-forums as a good starting point.

KM
12-21-2010, 07:38 AM
If you don't have "a couple thousand dollars to spend", you don't need to worry about a swap.
Your question is way too broad. Do some research on your own and see if it's feasible for you to even do the swap.

I'll tell you right off the bat, with the information you've given as your first post, I'd say you have absolutely no chance at swapping.
Save up, do some research.

KM
12-21-2010, 07:47 AM
P.S.
This really isn't a good way to start your stay on a forum. If you cannot read the FAQs and forum rules, your membership here will be short lived. There is not a shortage of information here, but nobody wants to answer the same questions over and over again. You need to do your own research before asking questions. That way, you will understand what it takes to even start a swap, and if you've got what it takes to finish it.
If you cheap out on a turbo swap, you can expect to redo it later, at a much higher cost.

97celica_st
01-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Wow ok sorry! Thanks for all the help and support.

ChrisD
01-10-2011, 04:47 AM
I'll give you a bit of a start - seeing that you have a 7AFE places you at a bit of a disadvantage for the 3SGTE swap. The motor mounts don't line up unfortunately, so custom is the only way. This involves welding on new mount points to your chassis. So basically not cheap or easy.

From what I hear it sounds like you would be better to save your money and try to learn as much as you can in the mean time.

alltracman78
01-10-2011, 05:06 AM
As far as mounts go, I believe the L trans mounting point is the same, and the front to rear crossmember that the front and rear mounts bolt to is a bolt on switch [from the A series crossmember to the S series], so the only one that should need cutting/welding is the r side mount.
There are other hassles too, because of the A series. Wiring is more of a hassle, and attachments from the accesories [AC, pwr steering] are a little bit different.
Nothing that can't be taken care of, but it makes it that much more of a hassle.

JDM SNUKUMZ
01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
if youre on a budget like you stated in your post then dont even bother trying to make the swap like other said.Especially if you have to pay people for work then its gonna get real pricey and quick

97celica_st
01-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I decided I'm just goin to rebuild the 7afe and put a t3/t4 turbo kit on it .