PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start/Alarm Installation

DudeMan
12-20-2010, 03:54 AM
I got this (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/DriveWinter/WinterCarCare/RemoteCarStarters/PRD~0340744P/ProStart%252B4-Button%252BRemote%252BStarter%252Bwith%252BKeyless %252BEntry%252Band%252BAlarm.jsp?locale=en) remote start kit yesterday for my birthday/Christmas.

I'd like to install it myself ASAP but I've never done one of these before..

Any tips, advice?

The amount of wiring is intimidating but it looks fairly straight forward from looking through the manual.

There's two things I don't get though..

For one, there's two red power wires in the main ignition harness of the remote start unit, both are fused. The manual says to splice it into the 12v+ wire of the trucks ignition harness and then simply repeats itself for the other red power wire.. Why two power wires? Do I splice them both into the same power source? :dunno:

The second is the shock sensor. The manual doesn't say anything about mounting it or anything and I imagine its placement is important.. There's also no tabs or bracket to mount it with so I'm kind of lost as to where to put it and how to put it there.

I get off work at noon on Friday so I was thinking I'd go straight to my uncles shop to put it in. Hopefully it doesn't take longer than 4 or 5 hours.

bitskyline
12-22-2010, 11:17 PM
go in at get a store credit for some tools. im not being a dick but if you wanna go for it thats your cross to bare.

mount the shock sensor to a decent solid spot away from moving parts. same goes for the starter its self. try to run all your wires along with facotry wires for a clean install. use atleast 10" if tape on all your solder connections. take your time, cut wires to length, zip tie on both sides of your ign harness once your done to keep it all tight. DO NOT HALF ASS IT. that only causes more problems.

and im going to try this again... TAKE IT BACK !!! lol

ive installed for 4 years 3 of which with Certified Radio. i have seen many a crappy tire starter... they rarely work in the long run.

i was at certified radio west on 170th but quit due to shop drama. if anything go there and tell a salesmen (anders, gary, shawn) that Jeff one of the previous installers sent you in to get a starter, should give you a little deal.

DudeMan
12-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Well I'm already committed to installing this unit.. Not to be disrespectful I just can't afford to pay more more money for a different brand or having someone else install it.

I've been reading up all week and I have a much better understanding of how everything works.

Trying to cram my truck in the garage right now so I can start wiring it up.

schmooot
12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
first off, go here (http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp) and look up the diagram for your truck. If it has 2 12V constant power wires then use one for each of your two red fused wires..otherwise just tie them both together. It is fairly straightforward.....just take your time and make sure you test every wire before you tie into it as it is easy to mess up if you get too cocky

DudeMan
12-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Just finished installing it, everything works flawlessly!

I actually printed off two wiring diagrams for my truck, one from the12volt.com and the other from my alarms website.. They contradicted each other and several times I had to actually dig into Toyota's wiring diagrams in the FSM.

Install couldn't have gone smoother. I only had to switch over one wire for the brake pedal since both my diagrams were wrong.

Even took it a step further and hooked up two relays in parallel to power the rear window. I can now roll it up or down at the push of a button!

Proud of myself at the moment.. I've never been very savvy with electrical and basically avoided working with it at all costs. So to get everything working first try was a big accomplishment for me..

Its supposed to get down to -30*C by the end of the week.. I'll be hopping into a warm truck, joy.

schmooot
12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
good stuff mang

alltracNyx
12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Congrats! I'm glad you took this on. Yes, you have to be careful with this stuff, and know what you are doing, but so long as you test all of your wires, and make proper connections, it's all good.

Siyx
12-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I bought pretty much the same setup for my wife. Cost me $50.00 to get it installed at Future Shop :D Best $50.00 I ever spent. Last alarm I installed was in the old Tercel and it took me near half a day.
The alarm you just purchased took a pro to instal in almost 3 hours in a Corolla. (if that made sense LOL, freakin tired and back at work with buggy eyes)

sodap0p
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
For $50 you cant go wrong, I put that same unit in my 90 GTS, it worked perfectly for the month I used it.

bitskyline
01-12-2011, 05:57 AM
good to hear you got it done. thumbs up