PDA

View Full Version : magical white smoke...

ericfragola
12-19-2010, 12:31 AM
just finished my 185 swap into my 165. it boosts nicely and ive just been adressing the small stuff here and there. well today i went to get the old alarm system removed since it was messing with my starter. i gave it SOME gas to get up to freeway speed and a shitload of white smoke created a cloud trail behind me.

this also happened when i floored it to pass a stupid truck.

i thought it was happening only when id floor it but that wasnt the case. i only drove 15mins away to bestbuy. on the way back my idle was crazily at 2700. (i havent driven the car enough to know everything thats wrong or to tweak stuff) i just got it registered and here and there have been driving it. but not a DD jsut yet.

anyways, i was sitting at the stop light at my idle was crazily at 2700 and puffs here and there of white smoke came out. the car lagged a little bit when i was taking off. when i got home i took off the intake and noticed an oil buildup in the metal circle that the rubber coupler clamps to...i didnt check to see if it was coming from the intake or the turbo.i DO have an oil catch line. (i did the DIY one that shadowlife did a how to thread on) and when i put my finger on the compressor wheel the wheel can wiggle around a bit...are these signs of a bad turbo? the lag i noticed today, the white smoke, and the oil buildup? i know the PCV valve is a culprit to letting oil get to your turbo but these are some seriously big clouds of white smoke...almost smoke screen status. (you can still see thru it tho) and i doubt the PCV would be letting this much get thru...

also, since our PCV is a big metal tube coming off of the valve covers, is it possible to replace it?

T-spoon
12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
If it was really white smoke, I wouldn't think oil (small amounts of oil in the place you mentioned is quite normal), I'd think coolant. Check your coolant level and quality. You can also pull your spark plugs and take a look at the pistons and see if any of them look super clean. Check around the engine where the block and head join and see if you have any stains or leaks. Headgasket is the worst case scenario that comes to mind when you're blowing white smoke.

ericfragola
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
So white smoke=coolant...what color smoke is oil? Also a buddy of mine said I was running rich. Idk if that's the case though.

As soon as you hear my BOV, about 3-4seconds later you see a cloud of white smoke start to come out. Ill check my coolant level and check for any stains as soon as I get home. A head gasket sounds bad...but a cracked block was also mentioned to me...is there anything I can pour into my coolant that'll burn a different color that'll confirm if I'm getting any leaks somewhere or what?

Or can I drain my coolant and get something to blow smoke thru (or steam, whatever) the coolant system and see where it comes out?

I also know there's this stuff that you use some special goggles to see for somthing. I can't remember what it was though. But it checked for leaks on something...possibly vaccuum leaks but I'm not sure.

ChrisD
12-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Oil = blue-grey
Rich = black

Sorry to say there is probably a good chance it is your head gasket.

ericfragola
12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Ouch..headgasket is quite a bit of work. I wanted to replace my pistons further down the road but I can't afford to right now. If I get a metal HKS head gasket is it reusable? So when I pull my top end off again to do the pistons I can reuse it...

ChrisD
12-20-2010, 08:15 PM
The short answer is "not really". Can it be re-used? Some people have gotten away with it. But, if it doesn't seal, are you willing to pull the head again? I would start by diagnosing things that T-Spoon mentioned, and go from there.

ericfragola
12-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Alright. Sounds like a plan. I guess I won't get the metal head gasket until I replace the pistons. As for replacing it for now, I know they make gasket sheets. Would those be efficient enough to use? Because I know that all a premade head gasket is, is one that fits perfectly. I wouldn't mind spending the time to make one. IF that's the case. But I won't know until about another 2hours from now when I get home from work.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd recommend just buying the pre-made and cut out variables.

ChrisD
12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Or just a gasket from Toyota, much cheaper than a MHG. I'm not sure I'd risk a DIY variant myself, but to each his own. But make sure it's the HG first of course. I'd do a whole round of testing to be sure.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-21-2010, 09:21 PM
On something like a head gasket, I wouldn't fool around. Get the right one if it turns out to be the problem. You wouldn't want to have to do the job twice.

BlueDragon
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Well... first off you do not need to take the head off to put in new pistons.... Sooooo my suggestion is get a MHG now... heck you can swap pistons with the engine in the car.....

edit now that I think about it I do not see how you could do that, but the fact remains you do not need to take the head off if your just replacing non damaged pistons.

ericfragola
12-23-2010, 01:41 AM
Well my head gasket wasn't blown. I unplugged my pcv and drove around for the past 2days with it VTA and the nipple on the intake plugged. It no longer smokes. What color does synthetic oil burn?

When I unhooked my intake there was a shit load of oil coming from the hose that comes from the pcv.

So my problems solved. Can we replace our pcvs? Since they're a metal hose sticking out of the valve cover.

ericfragola
12-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Well my head gasket wasn't blown. I unplugged my pcv and drove around for the past 2days with it VTA and the nipple on the intake plugged. It no longer smokes. What color does synthetic oil burn?

When I unhooked my intake there was a shit load of oil coming from the hose that comes from the pcv.

So my problems solved. Can we replace our pcvs? Since they're a metal hose sticking out of the valve cover.

T-spoon
12-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Well, maybe the smoke just looked whitish to you then or something. Oil smoke is lighter colored than fuel smoke, so maybe? In any event, you just shouldn't have enough oil going through your PCV system to be causing smoke from the exhaust. The pcv system doesn't have a valve that I know of, I don't think replacing any of the hoses or pipe would do anything to cause it to stop having excessive amounts of oil get pushed into it. With no hose connected to the pcv pipe, was it dumping oil into your engine bay? Is your oil level changing, and if so, have you recently done a compression test? If you say the oil in the intake went away by disconnecting the PCV, that fairly rules out an issue with the turbo, since if it were the turbo you'd still have it puking oil and smoking. It doesn't sound this is solved yet, just different.

darthripley
12-27-2010, 06:22 AM
coolant smoke has a sweet kind of smell to it.
when you checked your turbo did you check to wiggle it in & out to check for play there?
i had a turbo with shot seals & it smoked white like a james bond smoke screen, so whitish smoke doesn't always mean coolant/BHG.

trumanpriest
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM
^+1. Exhaust side oil leak was burning the oil in the DP not through the motor and I had CLOUDS of white smoke (like I was seafoaming the engine). Replaced the turbo with a CT-20B and no more smoke. Of note was that when I would "get on it" the smoke would go away. Only at idle would the smoke billow. Here's a video of what my "Magic White Smoke" looked like.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/an-upset-st185_146129.htm