PDA

View Full Version : got in an accident today

jay4prez
12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
wet, raining, and this lady stopped short infront me
pix 2 follow, hood is bent, healights trashed, mounts bent, center support infront of rad bent, etc..

Will post pics up under the hood later, I'm at work

hurting right now, not sure if i want to keep the old girl any longer.

edit.

added more pics

damage to her vehicle, took this one tonight, day after the accident
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/_MG_1252.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/_MG_1253.jpg
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/_MG_1256.jpg

Her husband claims from impact the quarterpanel is also damaged
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/_MG_1254.jpg
I'll edit and circle the area later, although u prly wont see it as its reflecting light.

It looks like one of those dents where someone punches your car (highly unlikely from a crash impact, thinking he's after money)

Damage to mine.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/_MG_1262.jpg

Her husband is saying I hit her off center, from the license plate to the driver side, but, how does that explain both of my headlights popping out and frames being bent?

and the rest are in the album feel free to look.

http://s736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/jay4prez/New%20Folder/

Hookecho
12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Well that stinks. What are your plans for the car?

jay4prez
12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
right now, I don't know, I had been prepping to do a 3sgte swap for the vert, but as of today, the drive is severely lacking.

so far damage wise, I'll need to source new headlights/mounts and a front support bar.

time and money is the biggest issue, as we've opted to solve this without getting insurance involved as in the long run this is gonna cost me more than to just replace/fix a bumber.

My hood, I'm sure can be straightened (though structural integrity will never be the same), the latch closes and everything its just raised due to being pushed back from the impact.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, I somehow pictured a far worse accident. How fast were you going? That looks pretty fixable in my book.

celica91gts
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
same happened to my car except a little worse since the hood bent in half and blah. its fixable man, your fenders dont even look out of line.

celica91gts
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/S7002261.jpg right after the accident

new hood and a lil love http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSCN0865.jpg

jay4prez
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow, I somehow pictured a far worse accident. How fast were you going? That looks pretty fixable in my book.

wasnt that fast, 30 on the local, was approaching a light, it switched fast from yellow to red so while slowing down, this lady stopped short and well, I'd say probably about 10-15mph I dipped under her and well the end result.

I definitely think its fixable, its just its winter, I hate driving around with my girl in this condition, my biggest issue is that bar, its right above the front bumper under the faux cf piece, that part is bent inward from the impact, I'm not sure if thats replaceable by itself, headlight mounts are pretty banged up, pushed back onto the mount and bent upwards from the impact so they'll need to replace, unless I can straighten them out.

Beautiful start to my vacation eh, I'm cool now, not so uptight at the fact, this lady pissed me off tho, but of course I'm at fault.

I'm upset cuz I was going way out of my way to do a friend a favor, but hey ish happens

jay4prez
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/S7002261.jpg right after the accident

new hood and a lil love http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q307/fieldplaya097/DSCN0865.jpg

Lucky you kept your lights, speaking of, I need to get a control arm for em, both of mine popped off (motors still intact, thank god)

You're right tho, of course, this was a good accident, we both walked away, only losses will be monetary.

I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the hood, simply cannot afford to right now.

I'll just shut the lights in the mean time, daytime driving for me only.

I'll post some updates tomorrow morning as I start to really tear into it and assess the damages.

Thanks guys for the words and the kick in the ass (thinking now, it doesnt seem that bad, I'm just upset that the old girl is no longer pristine, not that she ever was, but now she's even further away)

alltracNyx
12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Shit like this is always frustrating, but don't give up on her. It's been snowing here all day, and I just haven't left the house, partially because the st185 doesn't need anymore rust from the salty, snowy conditions on the road.

This weather sucks to drive in, not because I don't enjoy driving in it, but because I don't trust anyone else on the road. Good luck with the fix. I'm not sure what spare parts we have on the parts car, but we can definitely take a look. And the parts car is in MI, so shipping isn't too far. Maybe Chris (bloodMoney) will chime in to say what spare parts we have if he sees this thread.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry about the crash man but things will look a little better tomorrow. This is very fixable from the pic posted so far. I think you should be able to get the mount bar you're talking about. It will come out fine. If you dump it now you're going to take a much bigger hit than if you just fix it. Let us know what parts you're looking for.

jay4prez
12-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry about the crash man but things will look a little better tomorrow. This is very fixable from the pic posted so far. I think you should be able to get the mount bar you're talking about. It will come out fine. If you dump it now you're going to take a much bigger hit than if you just fix it. Let us know what parts you're looking for.

Thanks again.

I'm starting to really love this community man, I'm gonna definitely have to come out and meet you guys, hopefully at the dragon or something.

the pic doesnt do justice, the hood, which looking at it now, isnt bad, just bent, i stood on it earlier and it sits flush, minus the headlights which as stated earlier the mounting brackets have been banged up. so on the list of parts I will most likely need are headlight mounting brackets. and the bar above the bumper.

I'm gona take her off the road for the winter and store her in the yard (aint the best time to be on foot service to work but I think its probably the best move financially)

I really want to keep her and, most likely I will be, now that I'm re-examining things.

KM
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
That's really nothing a hammer won't fix.
Did you bend the radiator core support? If you did, that's not a bolt-on piece. You'll have to cut and weld to replace it. I hit a deer in the 20v ST, wound up pulling the metal back into place.

DblOSmith
12-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Sorry, man, but not that bad.

jay4prez
12-13-2010, 02:08 AM
That's really nothing a hammer won't fix.
Did you bend the radiator core support? If you did, that's not a bolt-on piece. You'll have to cut and weld to replace it. I hit a deer in the 20v ST, wound up pulling the metal back into place.

I dont think its the rad core support, theres a pc infront of it where the hood latch is, it is the part infront of that where the CF piece attaches to, its a beam running across from inbetween the headlights. that got pushed back, and I'm sure the hood latch also got pushed back when the hood got bent as it wont close properly without some good ol elbow grease.

the headlight isnt a problem for the time being, I can just leave them up and replace the lens on the broken one as I have a spare, they're misaligned now from the damage but still useable, its really just cosmetic damage tho.

I'm just hating paying out of pocket for these damages, but I'd rather not get the insurance involved, they've already raised the premium statewide and this being my 1st accident, IDK how badly it'll affect my premium.

alltracNyx
12-13-2010, 03:54 AM
If you're under 25, especially don't involve the insurance if you don't have to; they will have a field day with your rates. And chances are, you can probably fix it for the same or less than what you would pay for your deductible, depending on how high your deductible is. When Chris (bloodMoney) got hit in the st185, he was stopped at a red light, and a pickup slid on the snow into him on a right turn. We had to replace the hood, both fenders, both complete headlight housings, the crash bar, and the bumper cover. We chose to upgrade to a CS bumper, and with everything, I think we spent no more than 800. We just hadn't painted it. But if you're able to find parts in your color, you may not need paint. Stick with it; it will be worth it. And definitely come to the Dragon!

Slider
12-13-2010, 07:53 AM
The piece you're talking about is a bolt in piece, the one that holds in the faux cf trim. The upper radiator support, which the headlights are bolted into is welded and would have to be drilled out and a new one welded in, but it looks like a light hit so that might still be fine. Mine was a little worse but I ended up fixing most it myself, just had a shop pull the support, replaced all the damaged parts and painted it myself it didn't cost me a lot at all. It was actually a fun project for me. Don't lose faith she'll be back to 100% with a little work before you know it.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1720/img6803is3.jpg

on the left
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7470/dsc00063dt.jpg

jay4prez
12-13-2010, 10:16 AM
man, looking at yours now, thats tough, I'm feeling a lot better now, as time has passed, everytime I go outside though and I see her it hurts....

But I think I will definitely keep her, although I'm taking her off the road until after the swap's complete.

I'm gona have to drill the headlight mounting bolts out as I know for a fact one is rusted and actually broke. so I'll be looking at replacements, hopefully I can borrow my bro's car in the mean-time while mine is off the road to do some parts hauling and etc.

Well, it seems its back to the labor of love. my gf's gona hate me cuz thats more money I'm investing in the car (instead of her) I think she's jealous

lamont
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Man Jay sorry to hear about the accident :cry: :cry: :cry: , the rear end at fault law in N.Y. needs to be revamped. If someone jams on their brakes in front of you even if you are at a legal following distance it just doesn't leave you enough reaction time. I personally think that the testing to obtain a drivers license should be a little tougher for just this reason. The roads are filled with f*#ktards who don't know how to drive and just end up messing it up for everyone. Too many people drive without common sense or common courtesy. Please fix her man, I sold my first 5th gen. because it needed a little body work, but I regret it to this day :11doh: :11doh: . Honestly it doesn't look too bad and most of the parts you can source from the junkyard if you won't to keep costs down or bite the bullet and get them new from Toyota. My heart hurts for you man I know how you feel man :cry: :cry: .

celica91gts
12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
i have a spare faux cf piece that goes on the hood.(came on the all-trac hood i bought) one of the mounting holes has a broken bolt in it but the other 4 mounting holes are good. it's from a 92-93 celica so it's unmarked (doesn't say toyota or if your looking for jdm, it doesn't say celica on it) i was keeping it in case i got in another accident, but you seem like you need it more then i do. pm me if you want it for a good price mang.

jay4prez
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
i have a spare faux cf piece that goes on the hood.(came on the all-trac hood i bought) one of the mounting holes has a broken bolt in it but the other 4 mounting holes are good. it's from a 92-93 celica so it's unmarked (doesn't say toyota or if your looking for jdm, it doesn't say celica on it) i was keeping it in case i got in another accident, but you seem like you need it more then i do. pm me if you want it for a good price mang.

I've actually got a spare usdm pc for the hood I bought for a friend but they got one already.

I'll need the other pc below that one.

I been feeling so lazy today I havent even gone out to do anything, just been home driving the celica's on gt5

edit, updated 1st post with pics taken today.

her shop quote for her 96 maxima is saying
370 for a bumper cove
31 energy absorber
130 reinforcement bar for quarterpanel
100 for 2 retainer brackets
60 for license plate bracket
150 in paint and supplies
200 in labor

grand total, well over 1200.

I'm about to just let insurance handle it, or let her take me to small claims court, I bet she will never be able to get half the money for it, esp since I've documented images of the damage, and tomorrow will be taking the car to my shop to get an estimate.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Hell, that estimate is probably close to totaling a 96 Maxima. Well maybe on but it sounds rather high to me from the looks of the pictures. What kind of damage is on the cover? From what I can see from the pic, unless I'm missing something, it looks like it's just scuffed. Might need paint but not replacement. And where I think you're talking about that dent on the quarter, no way in hell that happened in the crash. The only way you're going to have damage that high and far up on the quarter would have been if you had hit her square, bumper to bumper and a hell of a lot harder. Your car doesn't have enough damage to have done that to her car. The husband is smelling a payday. If they keep up, turn it in to insurance. That will cut the bullshit in a hurry.

jay4prez
12-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Hell, that estimate is probably close to totaling a 96 Maxima. Well maybe on but it sounds rather high to me from the looks of the pictures. What kind of damage is on the cover? From what I can see from the pic, unless I'm missing something, it looks like it's just scuffed. Might need paint but not replacement. And where I think you're talking about that dent on the quarter, no way in hell that happened in the crash. The only way you're going to have damage that high and far up on the quarter would have been if you had hit her square, bumper to bumper and a hell of a lot harder. Your car doesn't have enough damage to have done that to her car. The husband is smelling a payday. If they keep up, turn it in to insurance. That will cut the bullshit in a hurry.

the bottom of the bumpe cover is torn, and the cover itself is cracked at some points near the edge, I'll try to get some more photos of it tomorrow, but thats the same thing I said. the husband seems shady.

If they dont wana agree, I'll draw up a receipt or w/e, get a quote on the parts from my shop, and give her the money +shops labor for the bumper alone, any more than that, let her take me to court, but I guarantee she wont get a dime more, and if she refuses, then she'll end up raising her deductable, and being she has fl insurance, in nys she's already skating on thin ice being that she lives here.

Oh, and she told me if i dont comply then they'll classify it as a hit and run, which is funny as I have her address, time stamped pictures and etc when I went to see her, not to mention phone calls and etc, so I'd love to see this go 2 court.

187flatliner
12-14-2010, 04:32 AM
yeah their after money now........wait on it, but she cant claim hit and run after the few days that has already gone by. and i believe its illegal to push it this way anyways.

dont give any monies to them. if you do make sure they sign a waiver of release or something stating that all was taking care of and from that point on your released of all responsibility. then hand them money but only after they sign for it. (call your insurance and ask for advice) you dont have to make a claim. they do.

dont just get a receipt, they could still say you didnt give them anything and you would have to prove it.

temperacerguy
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
actually, what you can do is give them a check... and in the note section you can put "by depositing this check, the payee is agreeing that the accident that occured on (date of accident) is settled in full"

jay4prez
12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
actually, what you can do is give them a check... and in the note section you can put "by depositing this check, the payee is agreeing that the accident that occured on (date of accident) is settled in full"

Got it resolved, she took the car to my shop, I have the invoice and etc, got the bumper today, getting it painted, and she's gona come and get it installed tomorrow.

The shop is gona call me when she gets there so I can come down and oversee things.

Funny thing is, her husband wasn't around, and when at the shop she did not say a single thing about the ding in the quarter-panel. I believe they both knew it was there before, because she wouldnt have overlooked it when talking to my mechanic.

well, I'm only out about 500, vs the 1800 over a 3 yr period of insurance increase.
not to mention I'm saving her on her insurance premium also with her living in nyc having florida plates self.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Glad to hear it's working out. Keep us posted.

jay4prez
12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
we're all squared off, she brought her husband today and he started complaining about the ding on the quarterpanel.

had the mechanic pull the rear bumper cover off, the crash bar and everything under the bumber cover is fine, only dust, not even a single scratch, even the styrofoam insert under the bumper was still in shape and not even cracked/torn.

She said she's happy, and the husband looks as if he lost his winning lottery ticket.

Mechanic is installing the bumper now.

I wish I would've took pix of under the bumper to show u guys.

Eric Barrera
12-16-2010, 08:27 PM
^ Win .. Glad to here you got it settled.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Nice to hear it worked out. Probably ruined the husband's Christmas plans.

celica9303
12-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Do you still need the faux cf grill piece? I have well....a couple...let me know. I might be able to get you the mounting bar for it also, but id have to go to the yard for that.

jay4prez
12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Do you still need the faux cf grill piece? I have well....a couple...let me know. I might be able to get you the mounting bar for it also, but id have to go to the yard for that.

Most likely, I'll be making a thread in the parts wanted section once I get the car in the yard and start pulling stuff.

I know for sure right now, I need one of the headlight motor bar that mounts to the motor arm and the headlight casing. both headlight casings.
mechanic said the hood can be straightened out so thats not an issue.