PDA

View Full Version : engine shuts off when fans come on.

Soulend
12-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey everyone, so I've pretty much exhausted my resources when it comes to figuring this out...
the car:
97 celica ST with a 3S-GTE swap.

The problem:
when I drive the car around, and the car warms up to a point that the fans would need to run to keep the engine cool, the engine dies, and then the fans kick on. you cannot start the car while the fans run, but immediately after the fans are done, the car starts right up. drive down the road, and come to a point where they have to kick on again, and the car dies, fans kick on, shut off, car starts again, and repeat... I bought a new GT radiator, and a GT water temp sensor... so I'm not sure whats causing it. everything seems to be grounded as well...

Any Ideas?

Soul

Hookecho
12-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Could be a bad alternator. Whenever the fans kick on they pull more amps/volts than the alternator can supply thus killing the engine. That's really the only thing I can think it would be.

rmpinky
12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Could be a cpu/battery fault? But im not sure, im not overly wised up on these things

Smaay
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Could be a bad alternator. Whenever the fans kick on they pull more amps/volts than the alternator can supply thus killing the engine. That's really the only thing I can think it would be.

either this, or the fan relay is tripping some other relay killing the ignition.

alltracman78
12-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Has this always happened since your swap? If so it's probably not wired right.

Or if you have corrosion or a short somewhere causing what Smaay mentioned.

It's unlikely the alt is causing this, even if it was completely seized the belt would usually slip before it would kill the engine. Especially while you're driving along.

Murgatroy
12-15-2010, 04:38 AM
either this, or the fan relay is tripping some other relay killing the ignition.

Has this always happened since your swap? If so it's probably not wired right.

Or if you have corrosion or a short somewhere causing what Smaay mentioned.

It's unlikely the alt is causing this, even if it was completely seized the belt would usually slip before it would kill the engine. Especially while you're driving along.
:stupid:x2

I put money on it that it is swap related.

If it were me, I would disconnect my fan relay and hardwire the fans to check. If the fans work and the car runs, it is something in your swap wiring causing it to die.

Marius
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
"Murgatroy", you are right! Even your batery is very low and you DO NOT have an alt conected in the circuit, the engine runs. So... leave the alt. alone.
Is my opinion!

Shadowlife25
01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
:stupid:x2

I put money on it that it is swap related.

If it were me, I would disconnect my fan relay and hardwire the fans to check. If the fans work and the car runs, it is something in your swap wiring causing it to die.

This would be a prudent initial test.

Second (and only my own opinion here) I think the stock GT radiator is wholly insufficient for a 3sgte.

Just my .02

Marius
01-06-2011, 10:49 PM
The dimension of the radiator has nothing to do with the problem of Soulend!

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-06-2011, 11:40 PM
\Second (and only my own opinion here) I think the stock GT radiator is wholly insufficient for a 3sgte.

I second that opinion. I think that sucker is insufficient for workload I put on my 5SFE. I'd cringe to see it used on a higher output motor.