PDA

View Full Version : write up on fuel pump

taibones
12-08-2010, 07:00 PM
i looked for a write up today for about 2 hours to on a write up on a fuel pump, using thicker gauge wire. i couldnt find it if any one could help i would appreciate it very much

CollapsedNut
12-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Huh? You wanna run thicker wire to the pump?

taibones
12-09-2010, 01:18 PM
no it was a write up that i saw on here about 2 years ago and was trying to find the write up on it
i believe the write up was using a supra tt fuel pump

4thgenceli
12-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah its in the FI forum. Its still around. I am ussing that to rewire my pump when i drop in the new one.

4thgenceli
12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Well shit I can't find it :)

In a nutshell... (this is the way I'm wiring mine up)

1. Obtain 30a relay, 20a inline fuse and 12 gauge wire.

2. Run new 12g wire from battery to nearby fuel pump (install inline fuse 18" or less from battery)

3. Wire in relay as diagram illustrates.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/6/4/relay_diagram.jpg

4. Run another ground from Negative pole of fuel pump to ground (usually just a screw or something nearby on bare metal).

5. BOOOOOOST

CollapsedNut
12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Why?

ChrisD
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Apparently, the thinner gauge wire going to the pump can see some voltage drop by the time it gets to the pump. I've never tested this one, but maybe I should. Would be interesting. I'm still on the stock wire, has not resulted in any restrictions yet though.

taibones
12-09-2010, 08:08 PM
i found it on 6gc but no luck here

CollapsedNut
12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I find it hard to believe toyota ran a wire to the fuel pump that couldnt handle it. How many amps does the pump pull? If its around 15amp and 10' of wire run, all you need is 14ga wire. Even smaller if the run is shorter. I would check the ground wire first before I went this route. I think thats more likely to be bad and causing a drop than the power wire being too small.

taibones
12-10-2010, 01:46 AM
i dont plan on doing this any time soon i wanted the how to for my favs i plan on doing a swap when i get back to the states and the wire is fine for the stock fuel pump but i believe its not quite enough for an aftermarket one

4thgenceli
12-10-2010, 02:01 AM
i dont plan on doing this any time soon i wanted the how to for my favs i plan on doing a swap when i get back to the states and the wire is fine for the stock fuel pump but i believe its not quite enough for an aftermarket one

That is correct. The wiring is fine for the stock one, but if you upgrade the fuel pump at higher RPMs the pump needs more power to pump the fuel. There's some great writeups around the net (mr2oc, here,, etc) that have various bench tests and dyno tests.