PDA

View Full Version : at a crossroad.... need opinions

DarkSideCelica
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
just a lil background info... my 92 GT's rack and pinion needs replacement... today, the auto tranny went bad.... it was having a difficult time getting into gear, so i'm guessing bad torque converter?

i've had the car for 5 years now, and has 151k on the odometer... other than the faded paint, the body is in pretty good condition... here are all the options i could think of:

1. replace the motor, tranny and rack & pinion.. i would think it would be easier to just pull everything out and work on the 3 parts this way... cost of motor would be around $500-600, tranny around $300? and rack & pinon would be about $200.. i can do the swap myself since everything is basically plug and play

2. 3sgte swap... same as option 1, but with a 3sgte motor... wiring is a b*tch for this, so most likely a shop will do it.. boost is fun, but the most costly

3. leave it alone and sell as is.. prob get about $1000?

4. v6 swap? read about it a while back, but not sure abt the difficulty of the swap.. need to do more research....

i have another car, so this car can have as much downtime as possible... i am leaning towards option 1, but then again, i am putting in new parts that make up half of the car's value.... pls help :)

CollapsedNut
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Find a wrecked one with a good motor and tranny, buy it for $400. Pull everything you want out of it and replace in your car. Take whats left to the crusher and get $100 back. You just fixed your car for $300. Thats what I did atleast ;)

Nitro_Alltrac
12-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Unless you're looking to spend a good bit of cash, stay with option one and do like CollapsedNut suggested. This is the cheapest and easiest option. The other two, while highly doable are going to run into a lot of money and good bit of time. If money and time is no object, option 2 or 3 are both good. I've thought about picking up a GT-S and doing the V6 swap. This would be sweet. Just have to get a house and garage first.

KM
12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
1. With 151k on the odometer, why replace the engine? That's some fairly low miles.

2. You could do the labor on a 3sgte swap and have someone do the wiring (ChrisD or DrTweak have done wiring for people). You should note that it's not just the engine you'd be replacing... you need various things like the clutch pedals, a compatible manual transmission, clutch master and slave cylinder, etc.

3. I would not pay $1000 for a Gen5 that needed major repair. A 150k mile GT is $1500-$2000 around here, but for a car that needs significant repair, you'd be lucky to get $800 ( trade in value ) for it.

Your best bet is to buy a new auto trans, take a day or two and install it, and THEN sell the car if you don't want it. Then if you're that crazy about a swap, try to find a no-rust manual shell for dirt cheap, and you'll have money to start buying things for a swap.

DarkSideCelica
12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
hhm.... never thought abt buying a parts car..... looking at craigslist, but it's almost impossible to find one... i'll keep looking, but tht is a good idea...

btw, if i were to pull my motor, rebuild it (new HG, timing belt, water pump, etc), how difficult would that be?

CollapsedNut
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Ever tore a motor apart? There are some things that you'll need to learn. lots of tolerances that have to be really close if you want it to run for another 150k miles. Thats only if you take the valves or bottom end apart. If it runs now, dont mess with it. Not worth it.

DarkSideCelica
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
my friend is a certified mechanic, but he works in a Mercedes dealership tho lol... he works on hondas in his spare time.. i have never works on internals

if i were to replace the tranny and rack & pinion, would it be easier to just pull the motor out?

DarkSideCelica
12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
found a parts car for $450.. been sitting for 2 years...hhm...

KM
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Your biggest concern is that is has little-to-no rust, has never been wrecked, and all the accessories work. For the most part, you CAN swap things over to the new shell, but it's time consuming.

If you can find a parts car, you can swap your engine and everything you like, then sell parts.
Things like your windshield if it's not cracked, your taillights, headlights, turn signals, hood, bumpers, fenders, interior... the list goes on and on, and if they're in good condition, people want them.
I'd bought my GTS parts car for like $500, sold a bunch of parts I didn't need, then sold the rolling frame to the junker for a couple hundred. Definitely came out good on that one.

CollapsedNut
12-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Try to find out why the car has been sitting. Blown engine? Bad tranny? Gotta figure out why. But if the trans was good, then you probably found a good donor.

DarkSideCelica
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
car still starts according to the posting... it's a shop selling it.. a customer dropped it off for some maintenance wok and never came back for it... been sitting for 2 years.. i emailed asking when it was last started.... since it runs, i can prob do a compression test on the motor as well.. 81k on it... who knows? i might just get it and swap everything over