PDA

View Full Version : Another new car thread....

4thgenceli
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Right now there's a toss up between 3 vehicles.

Older s10 blazer (like what I had before) with 4.3 vortec & 4wd.

Pros
-4wd to have fun
-able to haul stuff around
-tow hitch capable to drag stuff around

Cons:
-Not the best on gas
-carburated (wait sorry, TBI)
-fuel delivery always an issue with these (pumps and filters)

ST165 in TN

Pros
-I've wanted one since I've drove one
-I would give my left nut for one
-Rare vehicle that appears from what I've seen to be in good shape

Cons
-Performance vehicle
-Reliable to a point, but when it goes it usually goes out with a bang
-It's in TN (shipping here could be expensive)
-Sounds like it has rod knock from talking to owner.

90 Rolla GTS

Pros
- (i don't know any..someone help?)

Cons
- (i don't know any, suggestions?)

That I know, the 90 rolla needs a battery and starter. Hasn't been driven since before summer here in AZ due to not having AC. The tint job was done by my coworker (he was learning how to tint). It's not bad, but not great at the same time. Other than that that's all I know.

All that I'm looking for is that it can run ~50 miles daily (mostly surface streets, some highway). About 25 miles one way (max 50/day). Honestly I'm leaning towards the rolla right now mostly because of $$$. I would love to get that 165, but it doesn't look like it will work out as I want it to.

Any thoughts on the Rolla?

T-spoon
12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Get the alltrac, put your 215 motor in it and have a crapton of fun.. also headaches.. but lots of fun!

4thgenceli
12-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Get the alltrac, put your 215 motor in it and have a crapton of fun.. also headaches.. but lots of fun!

That crossed my mind a lot today too.....

alltracNyx
12-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I agree with T-spoon. And then if my car is done by the time of the Dragon next year, we'll have two 165s there...

Enough said. :P

4thgenceli
12-04-2010, 02:21 AM
So I presented the Rolla and Celica to the wife.

She will let me get the Celica IF my car is totalled. I had to promise that she gets her cx9 next year, which I gladly agreed to. While the rolla was VERRRY tempting, I think I will be much happier daily driving a 165 in a stock form.

UtahSleeper
12-07-2010, 09:56 PM
If it's going to be a DD I would lean towards the corolla and save for the AT as a project.

sodap0p
12-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I can get a 98ish Corolla GTS for $700, it has a starter problem too...I wonder if it's a common problem with them. I strongly considered buying it, instead of having to drive my 205. But I weighed the pro's and con's as you did and decided I like driving my 205 and MR2 too damn much. My wife says that Im ruined, and I'll never go back to a slow vehicle like a truck or minivan.....I said " DAMN RIGHT!" :)

Hipster Lawrence
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
It probably just has bad contacts in the starter.

I had a chance to buy an AT for a dd as well but I was scared.

I'd go with the corolla. It has a 4age (smallport right?) great engine good on gas. It's a gts so there is a chance it was taken care of.