PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer AVIC-N2 series DVD Flip outs...

FluffyNutts
12-02-2010, 01:31 AM
My buddy at work gave me one, it stopped working he said. I got it home, hooked up the hide away box to the radio and powered the bat and acc wires and the screen flipped out but was black and all the buttons like volume etc.. were lit up but would NOT function. There was no time displayed Or radio stations... no nothing. I have done some research to the cause may be a wire strip, but before I pay 200 dollars to have it replaced, I would like to know if anyone has has a similar model with the same symptoms.

alltracNyx
12-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Are you talking about the ribbon cable that connects the flip out screen to the rest of the in dash unit? Are the buttons on the faceplate itself working or doing anything at all, like changing the source or volume. You say the time and radio stations are not displaying; do you mean on the faceplate, or on the flip out screen? If just the buttons on the screen are not working, and the screen is not doing anything, but the faceplate below works fine, then most likely, the ribbon cable/wire strip may be the culprit (if we are talking about the same part). I have seen this before. If both the flip out screen and the faceplate below it are acting up, then you may have more significant issues. Just make sure that the hideaway unit is properly connected before you continue troubleshooting..

My expertise is more in electrical systems in cars, than in taking products apart, and fixing them, so I could very well be wrong.

My advice if you are unsure about this: I would try to sell the broken unit to someone for some profit, maybe on ebay, then spend the $200 you were planning on investing into the repair and the money you profit to put towards a good, working HU. Good luck!

Smaay
12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
there is a guy on ebay that repairs these units. i sent mine to him, and while he fixed the problem, my screen would not go in and out, it came back with other problems. the touchscreen is misbehaving, and when the screen is in it should display the time or station and it does not. his fee is 120 bucks i think.

FluffyNutts
12-07-2010, 05:08 AM
Are you talking about the ribbon cable that connects the flip out screen to the rest of the in dash unit? Are the buttons on the faceplate itself working or doing anything at all, like changing the source or volume. You say the time and radio stations are not displaying; do you mean on the faceplate, or on the flip out screen? If just the buttons on the screen are not working, and the screen is not doing anything, but the faceplate below works fine, then most likely, the ribbon cable/wire strip may be the culprit (if we are talking about the same part). I have seen this before. If both the flip out screen and the faceplate below it are acting up, then you may have more significant issues. Just make sure that the hideaway unit is properly connected before you continue troubleshooting..

My expertise is more in electrical systems in cars, than in taking products apart, and fixing them, so I could very well be wrong.

Yes, both areas are acting up and do not work. I called pioneer and did a lot of research on this unit and it is a known problem for the ribbons to malfunction which is why pioneer replaces it for free. If it fixes it, I am going to sell/trade it for a double din unit as I have a 93 celica and I do not think I can use a single din because the ac control portion of the dash would stop it from opening up all the way. And as far as the ebay place, I called them and they guaranteed to fix it for that price if its the ribbon/motor problems.

My advice if you are unsure about this: I would try to sell the broken unit to someone for some profit, maybe on ebay, then spend the $200 you were planning on investing into the repair and the money you profit to put towards a good, working HU. Good luck!