PDA

View Full Version : Auto to manual swap

4thgenceli
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Just curious what kind of difficulty I'd be getting into doing an auto to manual transmission swap and what parts I'd really need to complete.
Manual trans
flywheel
clutch kit
new clutch cylinders (master & slave)
clutch pedal
shifter assembly (cables/etc)
manual transmission ecu(is this really necessary?)

Anything I'm missing? I would also do the rear main seal while I'm in there.

Waffles!
12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I could be seriously wrong, but I am inclined to say that the brake pedal on a 5-speed car is different than on an automatic.

kungFUBAR
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Don't forget your clutch lines and the clutch hose! I thought the ecus were different, but i have both of them on my desk here and they're the same PN (89661-20320)

The brake pedal assemblies are the same, the pedal pad is a different width though. I used a Dremel to trim mine down to the right width.

CollapsedNut
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
There was a thread here, years ago. Someone did it. They found a 5spd in a junk yard and pulled all the parts off it. You need everything down to pedals and center console. It was no easy task as I recall and required many trips back to the junk car for brackets and other little things. If you were to buy a junk 5sp car and set it next to your auto, you could just start swapping. Thats the ideal way to do it. Also I think they needed the 5spd CV shafts and maybe some brake parts. I wanna say the person who did this was female, had a white hatch and did some sort of rally cross or something.
Here is another post, might have some info. Not the one Im looking for tho. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?25445-auto-manual-swap&highlight=manual+swap
Heres some info. http://toyotacelicaonline.com/atomconvi.htm
Keep in mind youll need the manual ecu and wiring.

Night_Wolf
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Plan on swapping that auto ST u were lookin at?

4thgenceli
12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Um...... possibly?