PDA

View Full Version : k&n intake system 1991 celica gt4/alltrac???

t_mac
12-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Hey guys i was just curious if anyone has used this or knows anyone that has. Just curious on install power and if its worth the price. Its the third one down on this link. I own a 1991 gt4 so it has the 3sgte 2.0 turbo in it. Any input is greatly appreciated thanks.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

T-spoon
12-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Honestly, unless you intend to build an enclosed/insulated box around the filter and duct cold air to it, you're probably better off just getting the factory replacement drop-in K&N (the first one on the list) rather than the cone style. The problem with the open cone in the engine bay is that there is so much heat under the hood it makes any possible power gains from more air flow offset by the reduced performance the heat causes.

t_mac
12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
ok fair enough thats fine i found a thread on this site for a straight intake all ill have to do is replace the battery into the trunk thanks for the input though.

GI_Johnny
12-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Ya know, I don't think I have ever heard any evidence, on any set up, Forced inducted or not, where an intake made a significant difference in performance. People pay ridiculous prices for these "cold air" in take set ups for nothing. I suppose if you just want to spice your engine bay up or maybe get it to sound a bit better than it may be worth it to you. But like someone else said in this thread, I would just go with the K&N insert...it will allow air to flow more freely which is all you can really ask for.

ChrisD
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
It can be an issue once it becomes a restriction.

There was one case with a local GT4 guy that hit a serious wall with an SB46 turbo and saw torque dropping like a rock. He was on standalone but had the stock intake and AFM still in place. He pulled that off, and instantly gained ~50whp.

But yes I agree - if you are going to do a straight intake, do it right and ensure some sort of box / heat deflector is in place.

T-spoon
12-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Good point, I was assuming a rather stock setup since it wasn't specified, but that drop-in recommendation is dependent on what kind of setup and other mods you have.

The Captain
12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
If you cut a hole directly under the batter tray, it leads to the area behind the fender liner. It's where I mounted my filter.