PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dragon date poll May 21-22 Wins!

The Captain
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Pic three dates that you'd be able to attend. Key word: attend. Not the last minute bailers. You know who you are, lol. Perhaps we can get a general consensus on the best Dragon date for 2011.

Oops...

4thgenceli
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Looks like we already have a weekend scheduled......

187flatliner
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
April 31-May 2 ... New Beetles at the Dragon 2nd Annual

looks like i could bring the beetles, should i go topless or hard topped?....lol

Mafix
11-29-2010, 05:01 PM
any of the posted dates are good. so i clicked may so it's nice out.

Waffles!
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
/voted

KM
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that LAST YEAR'S calendar?

When I looked the other day, Deals Gap didn't have any listings.

KM
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, I'm right.
That's from this past year.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/calendar.html

The best time to go is in late April or early May, but that's where all the votes are anyway.
Last year was a good run. I rode it again when the rockslide was clear, and it wasn't nearly as fun.

manda
11-29-2010, 06:48 PM
so i know its up to everyone to vote for what works for them..

...........but heres my attempt to actually make it out... this could potentially be year 3 that i may not be able to make it :(
I graduate on the 14 of may... soooo if you love and want me there (finally) me you'll vote for april 30-may 1 or after may 14... :D Kthanx!

alltracNyx
11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Since the date doesn't really make a difference to me, I voted to help you Manda!

manda
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Stacy! I love you!!!!!

celica9303
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Voted for late may...after I get back from the Army..

Eric Barrera
11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Late may is good, that way I can bring the celica and my dad the supra or the vette..

Luni
11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
If you vote in this thread, and you end up not going after the date is set, Im going to whoop some ass.

We always get a lot of tire kickers about how "oh yeah Im going for sure this time" and they end up not making it, and in the end we schedule around the people who are needy (or we try and be fair about it) and some of the people who have a say in it end up not showing.

So what Im saying, is please dont vote if youre on the fence about the whole thing.

Luni
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Looks like may 21-22 is winning by a bit.

187flatliner
11-29-2010, 08:56 PM
ive got like 300 saved up for this trip.........im coming unless something more important comes up.......when we get a date i need to know the best prices on a hotel room so i can get the party started.

Luni
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
LOL, unless something more important comes up.

You driving?

manda
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
If you vote in this thread, and you end up not going after the date is set, Im going to whoop some ass.

We always get a lot of tire kickers about how "oh yeah Im going for sure this time" and they end up not making it, and in the end we schedule around the people who are needy (or we try and be fair about it) and some of the people who have a say in it end up not showing.

So what Im saying, is please dont vote if youre on the fence about the whole thing.

No worries abt me Papabear.. if its a weekend I can make it, I WILL be there. I don't care if i have to fly out and sleep in a parking lot..

Grot
11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
The Hotels Everyone stays at are the Holiday inn on North Cedar Bluff road or the Hampton inn on Executive Park.

Or if you want to save some money, but be a little farther out the Red Roof inn on Advance road is like a 2 min Drive from the other Hotels.

There are other hotels in the Area, and dyou are free to stay wherever you would like, but the 2 i mentioned in the first line are where the Majority of ppl stay.

187flatliner
11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
im either driving or towing her...but 2600 miles is a long way, id rather tow , just for the what if part. but renting a trailer is expensive. gotta find one to borrow.....but then filling up the truck is 80 a pop around here. decisions.

anyone gonna go with a two spot car hauler? split the costs?

KM
11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I almost couldn't go last year, since I only had a little over $100 after paying bills and whatnot.
Marshall and Jasmine were awesome and invited Becky and I to sleep in their room.

This year, we will definitely be saving up for the trip, and will most likely find some people to room with.

alltracNyx
11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm going to call the Holiday Inn in the next few days. I am wondering if we are able to get a group discount if we can guarantee that we will have a certain number of rooms booked for whatever weekend we decide on. I know that a bunch of people share, and some people live in the area, but if there is a minimum group number for a discount rate, it would help to know. Maybe we can make it more affordable for everyone if we all stay at the same hotel...

187flatliner
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm going to call the Holiday Inn in the next few days. I am wondering if we are able to get a group discount if we can guarantee that we will have a certain number of rooms booked for whatever weekend we decide on. I know that a bunch of people share, and some people live in the area, but if there is a minimum group number for a discount rate, it would help to know. Maybe we can make it more affordable for everyone if we all stay at the same hotel...

good idea......but if i end up towing im sleeping in the back seat........comfy .....

Waffles!
11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Stacy, you are a genius. May 21-22 sounds like it's a winner. Everyone in school should be done with finals/graduation by then.

Manda, don't worry about sleeping in the parking lot. I am sure someone will offer you at least floor space in their room.

manda
11-30-2010, 03:53 AM
Jaz- im not so much worried abt where i sleep... i can just sleep with you ;-)

Also, I think may 21 is the best weekend of all.. I'd be able to go and I may even get to bring Fury out....

Ghost
11-30-2010, 03:57 AM
the later the dated is, the more i can get done to my car. suspensions has to be done before i go down if not it will just not be as fun.

alltracNyx
11-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Do we know when the Deals Gap calendar for 2011 will be up so we can make sure the date we decide on isn't crazy booked? Since last year was my first year, and it was a last minute decision to go, I don't know when this information is usually available. Christmas shopping took up a lot of time tonight, so hopefully I'll get a chance to call the hotel in the next few days.

KM
11-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Deal's Gap is closed until March. They don't tend to deal with site stuff during the winter months.

The Captain
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Another thing we need to do with the hotel is to have them keep the bar open beyond 11pm on Saturday. Please bring this up with the manager!

Murgatroy
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I take care of the Calender. It will be up sometime after the first of the year. I will e-mail them and take care of that.

As for being later in the year, I am against that because it will be crowded and the police will be heavier up there.

However, if late in May is when we want it, that is when we will do it. I just don't want to hear folks bitching about going slow or getting tickets.

187flatliner
11-30-2010, 07:48 PM
well we dont NEED to go 200mph on the road....100 fine with me....lol

187flatliner
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Another thing we need to do with the hotel is to have them keep the bar open beyond 11pm on Saturday. Please bring this up with the manager!

for sure........needs to be open till at least 2

The Captain
11-30-2010, 10:12 PM

C'mon Luni, most people have no idea we're doing this until the day before the meet. Imagine the complete surprise when they find out we're doing it in May, or that we've given them NO time to get there car fixed! How do we expect them to cope?:sarcastic:

alltracNyx
11-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I'd prefer to have it earlier too Murg, based on what you're saying about crowds and cops. But we've got a lot of kiddies on here that are still in school :(

So I called the hotel, and they told me to speak to the sales manager for the district. I left a voicemail and requested a call back to see how many rooms we would need to book in order to qualify for any kind of discount, and what the discount would be. As for the bar...I don't know if any amount of coercion would make them keep the bar open later on Saturday.

And Cappy, you're one to talk about keeping the bar open late anyway! If I remember correctly, you went to bed before the bar even closed last year, you old man! :11doh:

KM
12-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd prefer to have it earlier too Murg, based on what you're saying about crowds and cops. But we've got a lot of kiddies on here that are still in school :(

So I called the hotel, and they told me to speak to the sales manager for the district. I left a voicemail and requested a call back to see how many rooms we would need to book in order to qualify for any kind of discount, and what the discount would be. As for the bar...I don't know if any amount of coercion would make them keep the bar open later on Saturday.

And Cappy, you're one to talk about keeping the bar open late anyway! If I remember correctly, you went to bed before the bar even closed last year, you old man! :11doh:

Cappy was definitely at the pool after the bar closed. He was asleep early Friday, so he could wash his car before the run.

That's the reason I don't care if the bar closes. I didn't buy my booze from there, I bought mine at the liquor store and brought some down from the room. And everyone went swimming. Drunk.

Luni
12-01-2010, 12:58 AM
For some gay reason I passed out early saturday night. Not sure what my problem was. I think I had heat exhaustion or just Im a lameo syndrome.

Murgatroy
12-01-2010, 01:32 AM
well we dont NEED to go 200mph on the road....100 fine with me....lol

During the busy season, which this will be, you won't get to go 35MPH.

The Cap'n and I had a conversation covering this last year. For folks like us, it isn't really about driving up there any more. The road has been played out too much. I didn't actually even drive on the Dragon last year.

Maybe it will be better to keep the caravan moving at 20MPH, I know some members will be more comfortable at those speeds...

Luni
12-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Captain would be full of shit if he said it wasnt about driving for him. I saw him "get himself some" last year, cause I was "getting myself some" in front of him.

Murgatroy
12-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Driving "up there."

John has been running it nearly as long as I have. We both agree it has become played out with all the folks that come in from all over the country, that read about it in a magazine or on a forum that think it is their 'special little place.'

Nitro_Alltrac
12-01-2010, 02:21 AM
I've stayed at the Sleep Inn in that business park right next to the Holiday Inn the last two times I've been to the Dragon. It's pretty decent and the rates are good.

The Captain
12-01-2010, 02:58 AM
What Murg meant is that him and I have been driving this road long before it was so miserably popular. It's like a secluded beach that everybody goes to, it's become a mute point. It's nothing more than a parade on nice weekends anymore. Popularity, fast machines matched by poor skills has grabbed the attention of law enforcement. What used to be a drivers/riders haven has become a "destination". For driving, the drive up is epic, but I'm going for the people. Fortunately there are plenty of other roads we're not telling anyone about!

While their are other hotels, it's just nicer to have everybody at the same hotel. Sure, it's a little more but we're all together and it's a safer walk after the bar. It's a "meet"! I understand the budget conscious though.

Speaking of the bar, yes I went to the pool afterwards. I was partying back when you children were eating through an umbilical cord so bite me! LOL. But the year we had fun music, dancing and lap dances was a memorable time. You can't replicate the atmosphere at the pool. The management shouldn't object if it's financially beneficial to keep the bar open a few hours longer.

187flatliner
12-01-2010, 03:31 AM
The management shouldn't object if it's financially beneficial to keep the bar open a few hours longer.

enuff said.

187flatliner
12-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Fortunately there are plenty of other roads we're not telling anyone about!

i believe you need to unhand that info then........maybe a drive out there afterwards or something? hummmmm?...(said in the voice of slyness)

METDeath
12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I actually spoke with the guy two years ago at the Holiday Inn, basically we'd need some 10+ rooms, and the "group rate" was the same as the advance purchase though Priority Club's website. Then I thought about how many rooms we actually occupy, and it's maybe 10 at the Holiday Inn. So those of you that are for sure coming, when the dates are set, book your hotel about at least two weeks in advance. If we had say... 20+ rooms, then we could probably get a decent rate.

Hipster Lawrence
12-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I think late may is best. The dragon is awesome but there are always cops, and if it's nice out there are always local riders out.
Early april would be best to avoid crowds but it will be cold and possibly still have some snow at high elevations on the skyway.
I can't go on april 16-17 I'm going to tampa to see Iron Maiden!

Here's what I think we should do:

Drive from k'ville across the dragon like we wanted to this year. Run 28 out past the smokies, come back some how on some other awesome road. At that point if anyone wants to go back to deals or run the dragon again they can. At that point we head back to Telico Plains via the skyway.

The dragon sucks ass I've gotten 2 tickets for going like 45 mph. The first time I was just chillin I saw the cop and was surprised when he pulled me over. I didn't think I was even going fast. There are so many other roads in the area. It seems like we could have alot more fun and not even SEE a cop. The GA dragon train peeps know...

KM
12-03-2010, 01:49 AM
There are so many other roads in the area. It seems like we could have alot more fun and not even SEE a cop. The GA dragon train peeps know...

I had much more fun on the drive up the TN than driving around the tail.
Except for when I almost ate the mountain. Not cool, front wheels.

Hipster Lawrence
12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
That shit was awesome. You almost ate it but I didnt get around.

PearlJammzz
12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I almost couldn't go last year, since I only had a little over $100 after paying bills and whatnot.
Marshall and Jasmine were awesome and invited Becky and I to sleep in their room.

This year, we will definitely be saving up for the trip, and will most likely find some people to room with.

That was the most amazing video you 4 made...I still beat off to it lol.

I will be there this year. I voted for one of the earlier times since the later times bump into summer classes but I still should be able to make it :)

PearlJammzz
12-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I actually spoke with the guy two years ago at the Holiday Inn, basically we'd need some 10+ rooms, and the "group rate" was the same as the advance purchase though Priority Club's website. Then I thought about how many rooms we actually occupy, and it's maybe 10 at the Holiday Inn. So those of you that are for sure coming, when the dates are set, book your hotel about at least two weeks in advance. If we had say... 20+ rooms, then we could probably get a decent rate.

We all need to order way in advance so we can get rooms next to each other. That way maybe the partyin won't be shut down so quickly? lol

KM
12-05-2010, 03:59 AM
I love how Bugsy's room got security called on it.
Between that and the exorcist moment his sister-in-law had, we had no choice but to move to the pool... which was the greatest decision ever. The security guy was chill as fuck when we were there.

austin.c
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
As soon as a date is set, i will work around it since this is planned so far in advance and i have no plans around that time of year.

4thgenceli
12-06-2010, 04:16 PM
So what's the preferred airport to fly into then? I'm looking to fly in Thursday morning and leave either late sunday or Monday morning.

Waffles!
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Fly into Atlanta and catch a seat in the Georgia Dragon train.

Or you can fly into Knoxville where we'll all be staying.

alltracNyx
12-07-2010, 12:07 AM
^ Or maybe even Chicago and catch a ride down with me or Chris ;)

4thgenceli
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Whichever way I do it I want to fly Southwest. They don't fly to Atlanta, but they do to Midtown.

Mafix
12-07-2010, 03:55 AM
fly to md. ride with me.

The Captain
12-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Whichever way I do it I want to fly Southwest. They don't fly to Atlanta, but they do to Midtown.

Make sure you choose a destination with a long runway.

4thgenceli
12-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Make sure you choose a destination with a long runway.

Why? Guess its some poke at their pilots but dunno what about.

The Captain
12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Google "Southwest airlines runway overunn". They are in a hurry. A lot. Can't rush safety.

Luni
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
LOL Captain HATES SW pilots.

The Captain
12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Nah. Just question the culture sometimes.

4thgenceli
12-08-2010, 10:55 PM
So is it safe to say May 21st/22nd is the winrar?

Waffles!
12-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I had assumed so? If we can get Murg to get in here to say yay or nay...

v3
12-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I voted May 21-22 because that's my birthday weekend :D

KM
12-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I just might lock CelicaTech down for the trip this year.
Last year, a lot of people who didn't show up got banned for the weekend.

Waffles!
12-09-2010, 05:44 AM
I would be ok with that.

manda
12-09-2010, 05:45 AM
me too

187flatliner
12-09-2010, 06:05 AM
i wouldnt, cuz then i wouldnt be able to post from the dragon as i have a computer with wifi..........and can post things as its happening.

CriScO
12-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Teh bump.

Murgy? You've got the official last word here. Let's set this shit so I can request me some vacation.

Waffles!
12-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Teh bump.

Murgy? You've got the official last word here. Let's set this shit so I can request me some vacation.

Because I still have your red pimp hat. It has traveled to a few nice places with me this past year.

alltracNyx
12-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Teh bump.

+1

Hipster Lawrence
12-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Im putting it on the calendar now.

Waffles!
12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Thank you caveman!

jay4prez
12-14-2010, 01:44 AM
I cant vote, but let me hope all these dates are weekends, I'd love to come and meet you guys.

KM
12-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I cant vote, but let me hope all these dates are weekends, I'd love to come and meet you guys.

you can't vote?

jay4prez
12-14-2010, 02:25 AM
you can't vote?

nah I can, but I have a commitment problem :P

I just can't make up my mind. I can always take an impromptu vacation anyway, so long as I have a vehicle and the cash

ChrisD
12-14-2010, 10:40 PM
^ Or maybe even Chicago and catch a ride down with me or Chris ;)

Looks like all the flights to Knoxville from Calgary route through Chicago. When are you guys departing from Chicago? :)