PDA

View Full Version : seeking mr2 engine advise

Hipster Lawrence
11-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Not that I have any money but...

Since I went to my family reunion and am in contact with my race engine shop owning cousin I started toying with the idea of building up my 20v thats in the mk1. I'd like to get around 200 FWHP or so. In doing my research I have found that while it is possible it is going to be VERY expensive.

*close to 2 grand just for the head work, cams etc.
*another thousand for an ems and tuning and thats if I go MS more for a better EMS.
*add another 1000 or so for the bottom end, more if I decide to go with a 1.8 bottom end.
*not to mention I'll probably need bigger injectors an AFPR a wideband and probably another 500 bucks in incidentals.
*I'll have to pay something for labor at minimum I'll have to UPS the engine to OK and back plus I'll fly out there to help out with the process

So we are at 3k+ for a 200 hp engine that still wont have enough torque (unless I go 7a) And I'll have to deal with a EMS that has inferior driveability than a stock toyota unit.

Keep in mind that these other options would cost 1000 bucks less out of the box because I can sell my swap for around 1000-1500 bucks. depending on if I keep my trans or not.

Without doing any research I bet a 2zz swap would cost the same. or less and I could probably still do a rebuild and some port work to it to get the extra 10 hp to get to the 200 mark possibly more. Retain stock driveability and from what I can tell no chassis mods to fit it into the MK1.

Plus Quaife now makes an awesome sequential transaxle (dog box coming soon) for the elise that would without a doubt be fitted to an MK1. It does cost over 3000 bucks though and shipping from the uk. It would be cool to have the option though.

Another option is the greytop beams. It would be even cheaper than a 2zz with more power. It would require chassis mods and a much heavier transaxle than the 20v or 2zz. But it would have mad torque. And I could still do a lite rebuild and get my cuz to work the head for next to nothing.

There is always the 3sgte. Turbos scare me though and if I had a mk1 with the kind of power that that engine is capable of I would probably kill myself in it.

187flatliner
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
if I had a mk1 with the kind of power that that engine is capable of I would probably kill myself in it.

then why do it.

answer:

cause we're crazy

90CelicaST
11-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Why not just turbo the 20v so you don't have to build the head(since you aren't looking for an outrageous number out of it)?

Nitro_Alltrac
11-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Larry, if it were me, based on what you're saying and what it sounds like you're wanting, I'd think about going with the 2ZZ. I know from talking with some of the Spyder guys this is a popular swap with them. If you can do it without a lot of chassis mods, that would probably be the way to go. The 3S, I would figure, would require a hell of a lot of work to get it in and then make it work. You could make the power without a doubt but would it be worth the work?

Hipster Lawrence
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
The 3s would require some changes to the mounts. Yes it would require welding. I don't really want a turbo mainly because of reliability.

What does a 2zz and 6 speed go for these days?

Mr220v over on the OC has fitted a beams with no chassis mods just creative mount brackets.