PDA

View Full Version : 4 channel or 2??

nairnman
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
i have a mutant mt2004 amp. which is a 4 channel amp. ive bridged 2 channels for my 2 subs. the question is do i set the switch to 2 channel or 4? by bridging is this stiill using all 4 channels or not? thanks

temperacerguy
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
2 channel

Luni
11-25-2010, 06:24 PM
If theres a switch, use it.

nairnman
11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
aye but what i mean is that the amp switch is either 2,3,4 channel ive bridged the 2 subs like this: positive to A, other positive to D and negative to B & C. these are the channels?

Luni
11-26-2010, 09:46 PM
It will generally have a little diagram on the amp that shows what terminals to bridge to.

nairnman
11-26-2010, 09:49 PM
yes thats what i have done but it dont say if to put it to 2 channel or 4. i bought it second hand so havnt got manual. i was thinking even though negative is to a channel is this still used?

drdevil
11-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Google IS your friend if you have the model number....

Shadowlife25
11-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Google IS your friend if you have the model number....

Please refrain from making posts in this section if you have nothing to add.

Proper post example would be: " Do you have the model number?"
Unhelpful post example: "Google IS your friend if ..."

To the OP:
If your amplifier has a switch to go between 2/3/4 channels, this means it makes the connections internally with no need to rewire.
If it does not, there should be a small diagram printed on the amplifier that will designate making a bridged connection.
If you are still confused, take a few close up photos (make sure they are clear) and we can answer you definitively.

temperacerguy
11-27-2010, 12:51 PM
First of all, Mutant is a UK company that was not brought over to the US/Canada, so not many Americans will be able to help you here with your particular amp. That being said, I happen to have that same amp sitting in my garage from a project I pulled out of the UK a couple years ago, never used it, but...

OK, I know this is not what you asked.... but have you considered the impedances of your subs? That amp is bridgable, but only stable as 4 Ohms per channel in that configuration...

So if your subs are single voice coil, ensure that they are 4ohm speakers.
If they are dual voice coil, and are 8 ohms, run parrallell
If they are dual voice coil, and are 2 Ohms, run them series

If they are any other configuration, you need other speakers.

Now on for your setup.

for one speaker, run the positive speaker wire to A+ (first screw on first bank) run the negative speaker wire to B- (third screw on first bank)
for the other speaker run the positive wire to C+ (first screw on second bank) run the negative speaker wire to D- (third screw on second bank)

Set the mode switch to "2 Channel"

Now, here's the part I am unsure of on your setup (UK stereo equipment doesn't always follow US/Japan conventions)..... I believe you only need to run inputs to A and B (due to that switch). However there's a chance you need to run them to A and C, or to all, A-B-C-D. If you are using RCAs, this is easy enough to try out. Plug em in and see if you get power to both speakers.

Once you get everything going right, set your flter switch to LPF and your crossover to match your speakers. Then piss off your neighbors. Set the level to it's lowest setting, put in a bass heavy track in your stereo, set your EQ to flat, turn it up till your mids/highs sound muddy, then back it off till it's clear. Then start turning up your gain untill your subs sound muddy, then back it off a bit. Lower your volume, and set EQ to taste.

That being said......

If I were in your situation, I would run that amp in 4 channel mode powering your speakers, then buy a mono amp to power your subs. That amp really isn't efficient for driving your subs, and will probably overheat a lot while still not powering the subs like you would want. It doesn't really have the "umph" to power any subs... running a 4 channel amp to power subs is a Kludge.

Your same subs can be powered by any mono amp as nearly all mono amps are 2 ohm stable, so if they are 4 ohm subs, just run them paralell.

nairnman
11-29-2010, 08:04 PM
thankyou will try that