PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

jay4prez
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
How the hell do u get the transmission apart from the engine on a 5th gen alltrac? I've got one bolt left on the bottom end right at the back of the transmission.

Tips please

The Captain
11-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Is the engine/trans out of the car?

jay4prez
11-20-2010, 11:43 PM
yup currently sitting in the front yard

alltracman78
11-21-2010, 12:28 AM
There's a bolt on the rear "ear" of the engine, it's on the bottom hinding behind the transfer case. Don't forget it. If the engine's out you can see the 2 brackets holding the t case to the block. all the other bolts should be visible.
Once ALL the bolts are out, separate the trans, once you have a gap [1/2" or so] you're going to have to rotate the whole transmission counterclockwise [if your facing the end of the trans] a bit so the transfer case will clear the "ear" of the block. Same ear that hidden bolt goes through.

temperacerguy
11-21-2010, 02:50 AM
once you remove all the bolts between the block and the transmission, make sure that the transfer case is no longer bolted to the back of the block.

Here's where you're gonna run into problems. The engine has a thin sheetmetal shield that is bolted to the block behind the flywheel. It's then bolted to the transmission at the bottom around the starter/flywheel access on the bottom of the engine. these are 10 and 12mm bolts holding this shield to the transmission. You need to remove all those little bolts holding the shield to the transmission.

If it's laying on it's belly in the front yard, you need to somehow lift the engine up to get to those bolts.

DudeMan
11-21-2010, 04:10 AM
I spent hours fucking around trying to get that thing to come apart.. Turned out I missed one little bolt near the bottom, but I can't remember exactly which one it was.

Above information will probably be more useful, but basically, make sure you get every single little 12mm and 10mm bolt on that bitch.

Once that's done its really not that hard. I did it on the floor of the garage by myself and I weigh 140lbs..

jay4prez
11-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I spent hours fucking around trying to get that thing to come apart.. Turned out I missed one little bolt near the bottom, but I can't remember exactly which one it was.

Above information will probably be more useful, but basically, make sure you get every single little 12mm and 10mm bolt on that bitch.

Once that's done its really not that hard. I did it on the floor of the garage by myself and I weigh 140lbs..

that must be 140lbs of pure steel and man fiber, i can barely tilt the damn engine over, if i remember correctly its a 12mm right at the back of the transmission, i'll have to get a wrench to get it off my socket wont fit on it with the driver.

90ToyAllTrac
11-22-2010, 05:12 AM
There are a couple hidden bolts on the bottom, get underneath and really look. They are hard do see. Once you get it to where theres a def gap, then the rear drive transfercase comes into play, it really hangs onto the block at a point on the rear bottom. I used pry bar and kept hitting it with dead blow hammer. Took forever to get it off. Next, when you go to put it back on, I spent hours and hours with the help of friend to no avail. Then I went and spent $100 on a trans jack at Harbor Freight, and then it took me 20 min by myself and it went right back on!!! You gotta get that rear transfer case up and over that point on the block, with a trans jack it was litterally like turning a key.

jay4prez
11-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I got it off, had to use a 14mm box wrench because the socket wouldnt fit between the gap.

Transmission up for sale check my thread :) (now with picture :P )