PDA

View Full Version : '85 Celica afm adjustment

Amaymi
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm putting my '85 celica gts back together after having to replace the head gasket and need some help making sure that the afm is set properly. The previous owner had drilled out the little aluminum cap covering the adjustment screw on the afm and I know that its been messed with.

I remember reading somewhere a procedure that involved a vernier caliper, reading a number stamped into the afm, and using those numbers to adjust the screw a certain distance from the top of the hole. I just don't remember which numbers mean what.

I've tried searching on here and celica-gts.com but all I get are threads for internal adjustments on Supra afm's.

85gtsblackman
11-16-2010, 01:13 AM
the p/o may have put a 82 supra afm on your vehicle. which is a upgrade.

the stock afm typically doesnt need any adjustment.

Amaymi
11-16-2010, 01:41 AM
I asked and he said that it is the stock afm. The engine however is not stock. Its an 84 pickup tall block with the "domed" pistions, original celica efi head ported, polished, and milled, and comp cam. Afm's are adjusted at the factory then a aluminum cap is pressed into place to cover the screw and keep the consumer from adjusting it. This one has had that aluminum cap drilled out and the screw adjusted for modifications made. Unfortunately those adjustments are incorrect and I need to figure out how to set it to stock.

Facime
11-16-2010, 01:51 AM
I honestly dont know that there is any good way to set it back to what the factory setting was on it. All that screw does is increase or decrease a little air bypass channel to let more or less unmetered air pass by the sensor. I think the best thing you can do in that case is to count the number of turns top to bottom and set it in the middle.

Amaymi
11-16-2010, 02:12 AM
That's probably what I'll end up doing.

I know that there is a way to set it back to the factory adjustment using the numbers stamped on the afm, I've read the procedure before. I just cant seem to find it again or remember what that procedure was.

alltracman78
11-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Lagos was the member that came up with that procedure.
Try a search under posts he's written.

Lagos
11-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Here you go:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?35145-How-to-set-your-AFM-idle-screw-to-its-factory-position

Amaymi
11-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Aah! Thank you very much!