PDA

View Full Version : Should I Keep My AC?

DudeMan
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I've been debating if I should toss the AC in my Celica over the last few weeks.

The compressor is already out. All I would have to remove is the condensor, dryer, hard lines and the unit under the glove box.

It didn't work very well before I tore the car down. But I never had it properly vacuumed and filled by a shop.. So it might work just fine after a professional refill.

I rarely use AC. Its only needed a few weeks out of the year up here in Edmonton. But it is nice to have on those cookin' hot days.. I also plan on making a few trips to the Okanogon area in BC next summer, where it does get stupid hot.

There's a number of advantages most of you already know; weight savings, extra space under the hood, one less thing to break, etc. It would also make routing my FMIC piping much easier.

But at the same time I'd like to retain the full interior and as many options as possible..

I dunno. I can't make up my damn mind.

Any input?

acidice333
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I'd keep it.. but thats my preference.. plus it increases the re-sale value if you decide to sell it later since it "has" the option ;)

not12listen
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
i'd keep it, just in case you get to the time where you DO want it. i can say from personal experience that re-installing a/c is a PITA.

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I sealed my hoses and pulled the compressor. Leaving the drier and condenser in is a time saver for the day you need to sell.

Cavanagh
11-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I would ditch it, but that's personal. Probably because my first car (my Celica) didn't have it, so I just got use to it. Plus I like windows alot more.

90ToyAllTrac
11-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Riding around with pants full of swass gets old real fast. I hardly ever use it but when its unbearable, its nice to have. Plus resale value. Plus chicks cant survive without it if thats a factor for you. "If a girly sees my car, theres no chance I'll ever bang her. He never ever get da pxssy"

klapa
11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
That above would be my reason to keep it - you or I can deal with the heat using windows and sunroofs - but not women for the most part.

It also depends on how you drive your car - especially when you are with you woman.

are these just short trips or do you travel long distance? Long distance without A/C would be very fatiguing.

I've battled my A/C system in my GT because that is my long distance highway car. I would have taken it to some shop but they all wanted like $1000 to fix it! Actually it is not too bad to do it yourself - you can get a rebuilt comp for about ~$150 and new dryer for less than $20 - those being all the parts you should need except for generic o'ring seals..

The biggest thing I would recommend would be to spend about $80-$100 on a vacuum pump - that will pay for itself in the refrigerant you would lose looking for leaks by charging it up.

I won't keep the A/C on my Alltrac because with the WTA intercooler piping it came with the condenser will no longer fit. I you decide to dump your comp please let me know what new serpentine belt you found to fit without it.

Hipster Lawrence
11-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Leave it. There is no real advantage not to.

DudeMan
11-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Girls/women are one of the main reasons I want to keep it..

I guess I'll hold onto it for now.

If I have any problems getting it to work properly I'll just tear it out.

I remember when I had my first car (91' Celica GT) I was sooo let down when the AC quit working on a really hot day.. With a really hot girl sitting shotgun..

That settles it! lol