PDA

View Full Version : So how much help are those JDM alternator scoops?

90ToyAllTrac
11-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Since I cant remove the oil filter without moving the alternator because of that enclosure, Ill probly just take it off for good. Dont know how much it helps anyway but it does look cool and has a neat factor.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-15-2010, 01:46 AM
If you've got the duct work that goes with it, it does help. It puts cool air up into the back of the alternator. I've still got mine on the car. It gives some insulation from all the heat from the turbo.

I've never had any problem getting the oil filter off mine with the heat shield in place.

bloodMoney
11-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Rumor has it that if you run a toyota alternator without the ducting, it should be alright. The problem comes in when you replace it with some off brand, as those have the tendency to burn out from the heat.

Personally, I've got an OEM with the cover but no ducting and it's doing alright as Nyx's DD for the last 2 years.

temperacerguy
11-15-2010, 04:02 AM
OK, this is a first for me.... I only got into all tracs recently, but I have never seen this "ducting" that you're talking about... I know mine didn't come with one, and none of the ATs I have seen have one either. Does anyone have a pic? I am always up for more cooling.

90ToyAllTrac
11-15-2010, 04:09 PM
they come on JDM engines. But the duct work is cut. Not sure where to run it to if I were going to restore it to full function. here you can see how one could not even get a hand on it much less a filter wrench. http://www.jspecautosports.com/images/prod/celica3sgtebig%20copy.jpg

Siyx
11-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I've never had an issue with mine yet either. Sometimes notice a tight squeeze trying to get the oil filter out/in but never had to remove anything either way.
The oil filters i use are quite small and thin so they slide in/out without much hassle. I just let the engine cool down before an oil change so i don't burn the hell out of my hand as I am reaching for it.

T-spoon
11-16-2010, 12:12 AM
A lot of this comes from using the wrong oil filter. I had a dealership swear up and down the thicker filters for the larger displacement engines was the proper one for the st165. Try getting one in and out of that space without removing anything else and you'll be a very sad panda. Not fun. Simple solution to this for me was moving somewhere I could change my own oil and using the correct filter :P

DudeMan
11-16-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure if these are only on JDM engines.. I'm pretty sure mine has one.

alltracman78
11-16-2010, 02:54 AM
It's not JDM, it's all ST185s. Aluminum elbow and rubber ducting.

According to Toyota the larger filter IS the correct one for the 165. That's why the parts guys kept telling you that was the right one.

T-spoon
11-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Apparently what Toyota says depends on where you are, only one dealership insisted on the fatter filter, where I worked showed something else. The EPC I used showed the taller of the narrower diameter filters, and since that's what actually fits in the available space, that's what I use. Considering how often oil filter part numbers change/supersede, it's no wonder different places show different things though I suppose.

I'm not sure how much real difference there is for the engine if the tall skinny filter is there instead of the short fat one anyway, so why cram the damn thing past heat shields and alternator cooler?