PDA

View Full Version : My cars are so smart they fix themselves!

klapa
11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I think I am blessed - I have secret cars!

I've got four of them - one of which is a parts car - a '93 GTS.

For the other three two of them have problems - my '92 GT overheats and '91 Alltrac just doesn't want to turn over (start) at times (most of the time).

I've been hammered by work lately but did go out in the rain yesterday determined to get something done.

I had thought at various times that I had both of these problems fixed but they just keep coming back.

I thought I had my Altrac starting problems settled when I found a number of bad grounds in the engine wiring. The darn thing started first time - everytime for a week. So I drove it around and started it up about six times on a Sunday evening a few weeks ago and all was well - then I go out on Monday morning .... and .... CLICK!! wtf?

So I go outside yesterday cuz I need to move the thing - it is in front of my house on the street and I'm afraid somebody will hit it - plus I need to move it around as I'm in a suburban type setting here and not all the neighbors are enthusiastic about my "collection". I get all ready with my grease pants, drag out the boost charger and extension cords, tools, etc. and just for a lark jump in and try it out. Darn thing just turned over and started right up!

Same thing with the GT - I started it and drove it around the block a few times. The last time I visited that problem it would overheat within a few minutes after coming up to temp. The thing has gotten progressively worse such that it would show the problem quickly - temp gauge would start moving up and down by at least one division and then just go up really fast.

Not now - I sat in the driveway for awhile keeping it at ~4500 RPM - temp needle just stayed steady the whole time.

METDeath
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I would suspect dead battery cell in the All-trac, just a thought.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
You just haven't been holding your mouth right!

donteatbugs
11-10-2010, 04:37 PM
i suspect old wiring from the starter relay to the starter for the alltrac and a bhg on the 92 gt.

andy
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
^ +1

alltracNyx
11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Problems don't usually fix themselves....no one is that lucky, especially with two different cars.