PDA

View Full Version : Help PT Cruiser...

Night_Wolf
11-07-2010, 03:28 AM
So my friend was working on a pt cruiser and asked me to help him out. He was trying to do a control arm, and the rear bolt is "broken." Well turns out with these stupid cars, the "nut" goes into the frame and is welded to the frame, well normally welded to the frame. Well he broke the nut that was welded on the frame. We drilled a hole in the floor to put vice grips down on it and it keeps slipping so my buddy tried welding and the weld kept snapping, I suggested cutting the bolt and getting a new bolt and lock titing a nut on there. Anyone have any other approaches? Thanks in advanced

alltracman78
11-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Sell the POS, I don't understand why people buy crap like that.....
That's a pretty common problem on those.

Can you weld a piece of steel to the nut so it jams up? Not too much heat though, or you'll warp it.

rizin
11-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Since most of might not own or like say that they own one can you give us pics of the problem?

Night_Wolf
11-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Sell the POS, I don't understand why people buy crap like that.....
That's a pretty common problem on those.

Can you weld a piece of steel to the nut so it jams up? Not too much heat though, or you'll warp it.

I agree, they are POS, We havent tried welding anything to it, but when we tried to weld it back to the body where it was, it just broke all the welds.

Since most of might not own or like say that they own one can you give us pics of the problem?
I'd get pics, but its about 35 mins away from me (and no i dont own it lol) i could try and draw it, but im not artist lol

Nitro_Alltrac
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Chrysler likes to do this hidden tack welded nut bullshit. I had a similar thing happen on the wife's 300. It's got (had) a rear sway bar. Brillant idea one from Chrysler: use a thin, sheet metal angle bracket welded to the strut to attach the sway bar endlinks. Needless to say after about 60,000 miles the damn bracket snapped off. I wasn't going to pay something like $300 a piece per strut (it's a 300M Special so it has unique struts). Brilliant idea two: I decided I'd take the sway bar off. While unbolting the four bolts that hold the sway bar to the body, one of the nuts buried deep inside the unibody breaks the tack welds and begins to spin. I took it to the garage that does my work. They got it off some how. Where this nut is located, you'd have to dismantle the car to get to it. It's in the frame rail, which is under the floor pan, which is under the rear bulkhead, which is under the rear package tray, etc. Piss poor engineering.

Night_Wolf
11-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Yea, we drilled a hole in the floor pan, hes just gonna bring it in and have someone else deal with it lol

Hipster Lawrence
11-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Get a prybar and pry like hell on the bracket or whatever then get a 3/8 impact and go full blast in reverse til the bolt backs out. Usually works for me. You're on your own for putting it back together.

KoreanJoey
11-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Sell it!