PDA

View Full Version : 1997 celica using a lot of oil

tbrine
11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
hi everyone
i'm new to this forum stuff and i dont think i must be using the site right.
i'm trying to find out why my celica is using a gallon of oil every 6 weeks but no matter what or how i search i cant find anything to do with oil useage on here.
can anyone hlep, i cant find any leaks, there is no oil on the floor and doesn't seem to be any bad smoke out the back either, and the car goes and sounds great so i am completely stumped.
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

gopher_6_9
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Hmm, if you are losing that much oil it should be apparant where it is going..... You have pretty much two possible places right?

1. Outside the motor in the form of a leak
2. Inside the motor and effectivly out in the form of smoke

It is really going to be hard to bench wrench this one without being there to check it. Have you had it on a rack to look under it? either way it goes you would think a "gallon of oil every six weeks" would be apparant....

Facime
11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
agreed, if you aren't seeing a regular puddle under it, its burning it. Unfortunately if you are burning to two most likely reasons are valve seals/guides or rings. You should do a compression test (or have someone do it for you if you aren't mechanically inclined). Do the compression test with a warm engine and do it dry and wet. That should give you an idea if its the rings or the valves.

gopher_6_9
11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
agreed, if you aren't seeing a regular puddle under it, its burning it. Unfortunately if you are burning to two most likely reasons are valve seals/guides or rings. You should do a compression test (or have someone do it for you if you aren't mechanically inclined). Do the compression test with a warm engine and do it dry and wet. That should give you an idea if its the rings or the valves.

And I agree with that, but if you are burning that much then there shouldn't be a mesquito in the neighborhood.

85gtsblackman
11-18-2010, 03:27 AM
what engine is in it?

the 7afe motor has common pistion ring issues, mine goes though 1-2 quarts per oil change

tbrine
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
hi
cheers everyone
i'll get a compression test done and go from there.
have no idea which engine it is but i;ll try to find out.

alltracman78
11-21-2010, 05:09 AM
what engine is in it?

the 7afe motor has common pistion ring issues, mine goes though 1-2 quarts per oil change

Very common.
It's a 1.8 FYI.

If this is the case you won't see any smoke either.
You'll either have to deal with it or replace the parts/engine.

temperacerguy
11-26-2010, 06:28 PM
he's in the UK, so it's probably a 3S-GE.

I think he means "quart" and not "gallon"

To test if it's your rings, valve seals, or something else internal to the engine, let the engine get up to temp, put a paper towel over the exhaust pipe, and have someone rev the engine for about 30 seconds. Inspect the towel for oil residue.

tbrine
11-27-2010, 10:42 AM
hi
no i definately mean a gallon (4.5 litres), i'll put a towel over the pipe and see if theres any oil

temperacerguy
11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
If you are truely using a gallon of oil every 6 weeks, and there are no puddles under the car, no need to do any diagnosis, just take it to a mechanic and get a new engine. If you are going through a quart of oil every 2-3 days, there should not only be a fog of blue smoke out the back, but you should also be dripping oil out your tail pipe.

While you are replacing the engine, replace the mufflers and cat, cause those are going to be coated with flamable oil residue.

tbrine
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
hi
but thats what i'm saying, why i'm stumped. there is no smoke, no oil dripping from the pipe, no leak that i can find and the engine runs perfect, it goes really well.

KoreanJoey
11-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Get underneath the car.

Do a compression test.

It's either burning it or leaking it. Just because it doesn't smoke in the driveway doesn't mean it isn't burning it under load while you're looking down the road.

MCcelica
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
You can have someone follow you to see if its burning while you're going down the road while the engine is under load.

alltracman78
11-29-2010, 10:38 PM
he's in the UK, so it's probably a 3S-GE.
Definitely could be, but they also have the 7AFE I believe, and that engine is known for burning oil. :)

Either way, your engine could be burning the oil past the rings and you won't necessarily see any of it. If you burn even 1/10 drop per cylinder per power stroke you're going to go through gallons of oil.

How many miles do you travel for it to burn a gallon? Time doesn't matter as much as distance. If you travel 20 miles in a week is a whole different ball game from 600 miles per week.

Also higher engine speed [RPMs] will burn more oil. So will engine braking [leaving the car in gear and letting the engine slow it down], especially if you're at high RPMs.

85gtsblackman
11-30-2010, 05:19 AM
ohhhhhh that makes even more sense on mine due to constantly engine braking, hwy milage, pizza delivery and 250 mile trip a week to regular job.

tbrine
11-30-2010, 09:04 AM
just worked out that i'm doing about 300 miles per week so i'm using a gallon of oil roughly every 1800 to 2000 miles

85gtsblackman
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
thats normal, for a higher milage/km and or older engine anyways.

btw it would help if we knew which engine it is

1.8, 7afe, oil burning motor
2.0 3sfe
2.0 3sge
2.0 turbo 3sgte

if still unsure then post up a picture and we can tell you.

what weight oil are you running anyway?

klapa
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM
thats normal, for a higher milage/km and or older engine anyways.

Really? My 4AFE in the ST has 243K miles and doesn't seem to burn a drop - and I engine brake all the time.

temperacerguy
11-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, a burning a GALLON every 2K miles is not normal or good. unless your engine is a 2 stroke. burning a quart every 3K miles is still high, but expected for a high mileage engine.

No matter what the cause is, that oil consumption is VERY excessive, and time to consider to rebuild or replace with a rebuilt/new engine.

klapa
12-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I did think of one thing - probably not the problem but worth consideration.

I had a late 70's Corrolla hatchback in the early 90's that I drove 150 mi. a day - everyday. This was a low point in my life when I had no money and this was a $200 car. My drive was all interstate highway and I would pretty much be doing 80 MPH the whole way (except for city traffic).

I got this problem after about 9 months that the thing would suddenly lose about three quarts of oil with no signs at all of leakage. When I say "no signs of leakage" keep in mind that this car was a greaseball to start with but there were no obvious pools of oil either on the engine or anywhere else I could find.

I found that the problem was my oil sender unit - the oil pressure switch. It had a pinhole leak in the epoxy or whatever "potting" material filling the switch such that it would only leak when I shutoff the engine after a long hard drive.

At that time it would sprout a little "geyser" of oil that was aimed straight down beneath the engine, leaving no traces of oil in the engine compartment. I only saw it by looking under the car right after I shut it off after such a hard ride when it was hot - as in such a case the engine heats up much more when no water is flowing but it is still hot.

Under normal running conditions it would not leak.

85gtsblackman
12-03-2010, 05:51 AM
i fixed a corvette that did that

btw the 87-93 4afe is better built than the 93-97 f head a series engines in terms of internals. the 87-93 4af is a 4ac but with a diffent head

85gtsblackman
12-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Really? My 4AFE in the ST has 243K miles and doesn't seem to burn a drop - and I engine brake all the time.

yeah i used about 2 quarts of oil running the dragon.

and also the info listed above.