PDA

View Full Version : My 5sfe build Help thread

Ghost
11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
so after reading alot of the material on here on how to get more power of the 5sfe, i have decided to sick with my 5sfe and upgrade everything i possible can. the decision came when i starting of all the things i would need to do a swap or turbo the 5sfe. Plus i still wanted to keep the fuel effency of the car LOL. Right now my car is sitting on 241xxx km's which isnt to bad, but the car does feel like its lacking power. i also plan to pair my 5sfe build with a s54. hopefully i can finish this project by oct 2011.

Hookecho
11-04-2010, 02:06 AM
So are you planning to rebuild the the motor.

Ghost
11-04-2010, 11:04 PM
yeah but a beast 5sfe :)

Facime
11-04-2010, 11:13 PM
yeah but a beast 5sfe :)

Kind of an oxymoron ;)

The amount of money required to get significant power gains will likely exceed the cost of a turbo swap. With that in mind Im not trying to discourage you but instead just cationing you to keep your goals realistic. I would build for reliability rather than brute power. That means using high quality parts and machine work. Still wont be cheap, but I truely believe you will be happy in the end keeping your goals modest.

Hiko
11-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I think a good first question for you to ask yourself is what you would want out of the build? Is this going to be you're daily driver? Are you going to be racing?

While I doubt this is your intention (or at least I hope it's not), I should throw out there that if you're planning on hitting the mystic 200hp mark with the 5sfe, I would advise against. Looking around these parts, and doing a build myself right now, I'd say these engines are fun (though still not cost effective) to build out to ~130-150whp. Past that, and you really would probably be better off with either another engine or induction.

Just my $0.02

Ghost
11-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Well i was looking all my options and the 5sfe is the best option for me, i am going to be building for the track but it still needs to be reliable enough for a dd. plus i also wanted to unique. my goal is to hit 180-200whp, later down to road i am defently going to turbo it later, but for now NA. Hiko, if you dont mind me asking can put a list of parts u got ? right now i am trying to find all the parts i am going to need.

ps. what would think a good budget would be ? i am thinking 5k ? i dont since theres going to be alot of custom work.

Facime
11-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Keep in mind that to get big power from an NA you are going to need to increase compression ratio. Then down the road if you want to go turbo you are going to need a whole new set up to bring the CR back down.

Hiko
11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't mind making a list at all :) It's rather short.

Ported head
+1mm OS valves from 3sgte
3 angle valve job
Head shaved 0.020"
3sgte connecting rods
98+ Camry oil pump
Ebay header

Eventually, the car will very likely be getting:

Custom ground cams from Delta cam (likely 101 equivalents)
Greddy Emanage Blue
Over clocked ECU (via Mrturrari method)
Wideband

With all the stuff going in at the start, I'm guessing I'll be at ~110-120whp. With the rest, probably between ~140-150whp. Even with getting some seriously good deals on a lot of the above parts, I'm betting my performance parts list price will handily top $1200. Take what you will out of that for 5sfe performance.

For what you're going for performance, reliablity, usage, and price wise, I'd say you'd do better to get a 3rd gen 3sge. From there, you could prep a 5sfe block with 3sgte connecting rods, 3sge OS pistons, and make a 5sge. You'd be starting off with an OEM Toyota motor (more or less) putting down likely more than 160whp, with plenty of room for growth.

Again, just my $0.02

Ghost
11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
At this point i am really questioning if i should just go with the build. after doing some research and looking at other people build. i will for sure want to get a (215) 3sgte down the road and put some serious numbers down.

Ghost
11-21-2010, 03:20 PM
pick up another car for a 3sgte projects. the NA BEAST 5SFE is back in the works !

so far i am in the process of getting some 3sgte connecting rods and megan racing header.

Hookecho
11-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I had a rather nice setup on my 5sfe before I swapped motors.

My setup consisted of this:

Cold air intake
Camry header
2 1/4inch exhaust
.050 inches milled from head to increase compression 1 point.
Mild port and polish
3 angle valve job
Colt cams
Intake manifold was port matched
SAFC II
The motor had a fresh rebuild also.

I still have the head setup, cams, safc II, and bunch of other stuff if you're interested.

Ghost
11-21-2010, 04:07 PM
pm'ed. i am still a bit confused on exactly what i need to do to my head.