PDA

View Full Version : JDM Engines for cheap @ JDM Engine Depot

Atticus
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
First off I hope I posted this in the correct forum section. If not, moderators please edit. My bad...

Anyway, I just ran into this site for the first time looking for a decent priced 3S-GTE gen2 or 3 and was surprised with what I found. I found both Gen 2 and 3 for what I think is very cheap. Gen 2 is $1,099 + tax and the gen 3 is $1,499 + tax. I looked around the site to find signs of a legitimate company and found an address with a map showing the location of the warehouse and phone numbers (local and toll-free) Pretty legit, right? I called them up and told me that the engines rate from 55 - 60k on them from Japan. The only thing is the harness is cut from the part that goes into the car to the ecu. They are located in NJ so that makes sense. So far so good. I'm contemplation whether I buy it from this company or not. Please let me know what you think or have any experience with this company and of course if you recommend it. To others take this as a heads up on where to find cheap JDM 3s's.

The site is http://www.jdmenginedepot.com and they have an FAQ section for any questions you may have. Any feedback on this company will be greatly appreciated as I would not like to jump on it and get screwed in the end.

Note: I asked for a shipping quote to AZ from NJ and was $320. Keep that in mind.

4thgenceli
11-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Holy hell another AZ outta the woodworks!

I've heard mixed reviews from them. Some excellent, others have major issues with the engines (blown, missing stuff/etc). Personally, I ordered mine from Venus Auto (www.venus-auto.com). I haven't had an issue 'yet' (still have to start it lol). Their prices aren't bad either, I caught the owner on a sale day and obtained my gen4 for less than the gen2 you listed for JDM Engine Depot.

METDeath
11-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Sucks they cut the harness, kind of ruins the ease of the swap.

Hookecho
11-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Venus Auto's engines have uncut harnesses. The 2nd Gen 3sgte is $1100. I paid $1500 for mine shipped and Ron sent everything that I needed for a swap. I personally would pay more for a motor with an uncut harness than one that is cut. Much less hassle in the end.

RedRkt01
11-04-2010, 03:25 AM
MY 215 from them is hacked to hell. All I know is that Tweak will be paid the extra repair $$$ to deal with it when the time comes.

My 202 3SG was perfect.....and had the montser E56 tranny that is so coveted by 3SGE'ers.

I give "JDM..." a thumbs up and a thumbs down. I think that means a sideways thumb.......I dunno.

90ToyAllTrac
11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I believe I called that place in NJ and didnt like their attitude and also they had bad reviews online. Its New Jersey for poop sake. I Googled 3-4 places for reviews before I settled on JSpec. I decided not to go with the absolute cheapest for obvious reasons. If you find and read the forums posts about these places they can be rather entertaining. LOTS of PO'd customers out there. All these places are probably hit and miss, inconsistant as far as customer satisfaction, gotta get them on a good day. Jspec also has all complete, accessories, trans, ECU, un cut harness included. I did ok with them. I will never really know how many miles are on my engine but it runs pretty good and looked pretty good inside, trans too. http://www.jspecautosports.com/catalog_category.aspx?cat_id=117

Facime
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I would NOT buy a swap with a cut harness even for a significant discount.

RedRkt01
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah....I was told the harness was uncut. Not only was it hacked up, but the dash harness was missing which is a huge pain in the ass on the 215. Even though my GE was good, I wouldn't do business with them again.

Atticus
11-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I kind of figured that I could just find a good harness from tweak or something. Really not a big deal if I was saving that much money. Just as long as they pull through with the mileage and good working condition. And sensors better be attached which I forgot to ask for. I guess now with a 50/50 on their reviews I guess I will move on. Such a shame. Really good prices. I was already looking into a loan for this. Back to the drawing board I guess...

I will check out JSpec and Venus-Auto. Hopefully I will fall in love with one of them and get back on that loan I was working out. Thanks for the input guys!

RedRkt01
11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
If you're in AZ then call Venus Auto like everyone else is saying. They're in SanFran I believe. Less shipping.....

Hipster Lawrence
11-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Cut harness is not that big a deal. Hit up mr220v or dr tweak.
It doesn't matter if the harness is cut or not to those guys.

Atticus
11-06-2010, 12:16 PM
That's what I'm saying. Venus's prices seem to be a few hundred dollars more than the one's on JDM Depot, but now that you mention their location it seems fair to me. I could always take a weekend to drive up there to pick it up locally. I love California.

ericfragola
11-17-2010, 02:50 AM
If you're in AZ then call Venus Auto like everyone else is saying. They're in SanFran I believe. Less shipping.....

i went to venus one day to get my 185 motor. the shop was somewhere past sacramento. took me an hour and a half to get there. i was extremely pissed on the ride home. the guy told me he had the 185 for 1100. i went up there with intentions on buying it, well after looking at it, the driveshaft hole on the tranny was bent in half, and the engine didnt look in good shape. all his engines are on shelves and crammed together. idk, i wouldnt go back to him for another engine again. they were pullinh a motor out of a VW when i was there and were extremely rough with it...when he picked it up, he jabbed a forklift at it..didnt seem healthy at all for it. and he didnt even do it slowly.

anyways, so i asked how much for just the engine (no tranny) and he said he doesnt want the tranny but i can leave it there and still pay 1100. so he told me he had the mr2 tranny when i called, and didnt even end up having it when i got there. idk, he wasnt honest at all and everything looked effed to hell. i wouldnt trust him...but thats my own opinion.

ok, im done ranting. :P