PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1989 JDM 3SGTE Swap into 1988 Toyota Celica GT Convertible

Da MuNMaN
11-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I have a 1988 Toyota Celica GT Convertible that I putting a '89 JDM 3SGTE motor in. My problem right now seems to be the wiring. The motor came with its own ECU and wiring harness, but they do not match up to the USDM plugs on the vehicle. Is anyone aware of a Jumper Cable or instructional on how to convert the harnesses to work? Any advice of help would be appreciated. I checked Dr. Tweak, but I got a price of about $500 convert the harness.

187flatliner
11-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Hit up the bgb. Check out some wire diagrams. From both cars and have fun or have Dr. Do it for u.....its worth it in the end

RedRkt01
11-04-2010, 03:29 AM
It's not worth Tweak doing it if it is a 4th Gen harness into a 4th Gen car. Most of what you pay Tweak to do is strip the harness and reassmble so wires are the correct length; That wouldn't be an issue here since the length is the same.....unless the harness goes into the other side of the firewall....which it probably does. I've come full circle.

187flatliner
11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
It's not worth Tweak doing it if it is a 4th Gen harness into a 4th Gen car. Most of what you pay Tweak to do is strip the harness and reassmble so wires are the correct length; That wouldn't be an issue here since the length is the same.....unless the harness goes into the other side of the firewall....which it probably does. I've come full circle.

I'm not extactly sure what the problem is really.....are just none of the plugs working....is this your problem? Take both harnesses and match up the wiring for everything and the transfer plugs.......a lot of time consuming work......

Mafix
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
what color are the ecu plugs? if they are grey then you have a 165 jdm harness which will NOT work without tons of changes. if they are yellow then you need to read the BGB as it's plug and play for the GT chassis.