PDA

View Full Version : Alltrac and GTS brake question

Punisher
04-19-2005, 01:18 AM
I need new front rotors on my 90 GTS... I see on eBay a bunch of auctions for like brembo rotors and shit.. and I've bought brembo stuff on ebay before with much satisfaction..

My question is, the USDM Alltrac and GTS, are there differences in the rotor size?

Also, is there a direct bolt-on swap for the 90 GTS for larger calipers? Like for my ae92 corolla the JDM Levin/Trueno versions had larger front twin-piston calipers w/ larger rotors... Just wondering because if that is the case then I'll just look for someone selling a set of either JDM or maybe MR2? Calipers and rotors...

Please get back ASAP, thanks!

alltracman78
04-19-2005, 03:31 AM
They're all the same regardless of country.
Don't think MR2s will work.
But a 92/93 GTS or a 90-93 Alltrac are bigger. All you should need is the rotor and caliper bracket. And Pads. I don't think the caliper itself is any different.

SilverCel
04-19-2005, 05:22 AM
JDM Alltracs had Twin Pots didnt they?

Dragon008
04-19-2005, 09:15 AM

Yes, the all-trac, had twin pots... i was asking this a while ago. I brought this up and chris d confirmed it for me. Smaller bore pistons but two of them.
Not sure on the mounting yet as i am either going to use them or the big brake kit by rocketeer, not sure if i wanna be cheap or spend now

Galcobar
04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Or if you want to go really nuts, find the four-piston version from the sixth-gen All-trac. However, going to the different calipers means you need to go to properly sized proportioning valves and master cylinders too.

Punisher
04-20-2005, 05:41 AM
True dat.. For now I'm just gonna get rotors.. later on I think I will invest in finding those 4pots or the 5th gen alltrac twin pots..

Punisher
04-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I guess the question I have now is...

I wanna go with a larger better brake setup.. so larger calipers.. twin pot would be nice.. larger rotors of course.. What is my best bet.. what would be easiest to get and swap on to my 90 GTS?

I assume that say like a 92 Alltrac brake setup... I'd need the caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, rear calipers? (or would they be the same as what I have now?) master cylinder from that car and the proportioning valve as well?

I'd like to stay away from the all-trac stuff though as I haven't been able to find all trac parts.. very hard to come by it seems.. so maybe something like from a 93 GTS? It seems that everything from 92 up got larger brakes..

Anyway.. if someone could help point me in the right direction in what car I should yank this stuff from I'd appreciate it.

Galcobar
04-21-2005, 06:08 PM
The GT/GTS had front 255mm rotors for 90-91, then went up to the 277mm rotors the GT4s used in 92, but kept the single piston calipers. Rears, as far as I can tell, did not change. Sixth gens picked up where the fifth-gen left off, except for going from a twin-piston to a four-piston caliper on the All-tracs.

Punisher
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Thank you... so if I wanted to do a reasonable brake swap a 92 GTS would have larger front rotors but still single piston? I gotta look at the proportioning valve and the master cylinder but they are probably the same I'd assume or atleast very close... sound about right?

Should be pretty easy to get the front calipers from a 92 GTS I'd imagine.. did they use a bracket then to extend the caliper out further? Or is it a whole other larger single piston caliper?

slvrblt
04-21-2005, 06:47 PM
In the 5th gen forum there is a sticky that explains what needs to be done to convert to the 92 brake setup.

alltracman78
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Yeah, the early 89 - 91? non US market had twin piston calipers. Totally slipped my mind. Sorry. :slap:
All Alltracs had single piston. JDM is the GT4.
Supposedly the twin piston weren't as good. Dunno [shrug]

The ST205 brakes are not a direct bolt on. You have to have a custom caliper bracket made. But they're supposed to work real nice. :D

Mr E
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM
As pointed out, early ST185s got twin pots.

What isn't mentioned is that they're the same brakes as on the ST165, and are, frankly, rubbish.

I know several people who have swapped to the later single pot setup. It's superior.