PDA

View Full Version : Door lights not working.

Eric Barrera
10-29-2010, 04:41 AM
So my 1991 Gt has had this problem since I bought it. The problem is, sometimes, the lights for the doors the door switch on the dash, the key light, and top light will randomly turn on when I open my doors. but usually, they don't. It will stay on for the day, but after, they turn off for about 3 weeks then come back on. Anyone got a clue what this could be?

Also, what would be the best place to put a amp and sub in the car. It's a 12" kicker. I tried the trunk but the boxs wiggles in there alot. Where do you guys put your box?

Galcobar
10-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Interior lights are controlled by the door switches. You can either take them apart or replace them -- the connector is on the wiring, you have to pull it out a bit to disconnect.

As for sub placement, if you want to keep your rear seats the trunk is the only option. However, you should take the time to secure it, say with L brackets.

Eric Barrera
10-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Thank you!

alltracNyx
10-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Agreed. Just replace the door switches. They're compatible with a bunch of other Toyotas. I pulled the door switches off of a Corolla from the junkyard, and they worked fine for me. The plug is the same.

Also, the sub should definitely be in the trunk. Have you tried using velcro on the bottom of the box? It usually has enough resistance to stop the box from sliding all over the place.

Eric Barrera
10-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Where do the switches plug into? I took one off, but the connector at the end of the fuse isn't coming off. Do i have to rip open my panels and unplug from there?

And the trunk has no carpet.. Probably going to go with the l-brackets..

Galcobar
10-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Fuse? What fuse?

The door switches are on a single wire. Disconnect, pull until you see the connector -- usually it's about six inches down.

alltracNyx
10-31-2010, 01:18 AM
It should just be one screw/bolt to remove the switch. You will have to pull back the panel on the rear quarter just a bit to be able to disconnect the switch. It is a one wire harness. There is no fuse involved.

Eric Barrera
10-31-2010, 03:50 PM
^ thanks ny

RonsCelicas
11-14-2010, 07:21 AM
If pulling the switch wiring out thru the hole in the frame doesn't let you reach the connector, just cut the wire as close to the old switch as you can, splice the new switch wire to the remaining wire and insulate the splice point. For a good insulator, use heatshrink tubing if available and be sure to slide it onto the wire BEFORE you splice the wires.

Murgatroy
11-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Quicker and easier way to fix that, if you haven't pulled them already.

Pull the rubber surround off of them, grab some WD-40, spray the hell out of it, then work the button in and out about 20 times. Makes a hell of a mess, but lubes it all up and cleans the contacts.

I did this on Chaos several years ago and the switch has worked like a charm since.