PDA

View Full Version : what wiring harness do i have? :(

ericfragola
10-29-2010, 12:55 AM
i was told that the sar came with 2 165 wire harnesses extra amongst the mountain of parts inside the backseat/ hatch area of my new 165 shell. i was also told they were both in really bad condition and the guy said he wouldnt use them.i swapped a USDM 185 into my 165 but heres my problem, i pulled out those harnesses and one was an effed up 165 usdm harness. and the other was a perfect untouched "other" harness...i got my JDM 91 ecu today and i tried pplugging in my harness. 2 of the plugs fit, but the 3rd did not. i asked if it were possible that i had an 88 JDM harness, and i was told no. because they have different plugs than the 185s, and also the 185s have 16 more pins than the 165s. with that being said, theres no way its an 88 like the guy said. he had multiple 165 and 185 motors when he raced and its possible that he got mixed up since he hadnt actually looked inside the car in 3years.

back to where im getting with this, is it possible that i have a 185 harness, but one plug was changed to something else and never changed back? its the only thing that seems to make sense.

here are my harness pinouts.
1)grey 26 pin (fits in 91 ecu)
2)grey 16 pin (fits in 91 ecu)
3)grey 20pin (6 blank pins and connector does NOT fit into ecu)
4)white 18 pin (4 blank pins and connector does NOT fit into ecu)

and further upstream, but before the fire wall boot, a white 6 pin (1 blank pin)

any ideas? :/ this is seriously the only thing holding me back from driving the car. eveyrthings mounted and hooked up except for the throttle body and TMIC so i can access the wire harness spot on the IM but thats it.

also, no one at all is selling this harness. and i even was desperate enough to call the toyota dealership. they said a cheap one would go for 899.44 and then i said no thnks and didnt even bother listeningg to the price of the expensive one...although i dont see how you could have a cheap wire harness and an expensive one...

Luni
11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
You should post pics of what youre talking about. Youll get more help that way.

ChrisD
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
After a bit of checking, I have no clue what you have there. None of the 3sgte harnesses came with a 20 pin plug. Possibly, was this re-wired to fit something else? Confident it is a 3SGTE harness? Does it show signs of being modified?

Here's a good reference...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/all_3sgte_ecu_diagram.png

ericfragola
11-02-2010, 08:00 PM
See, that's where I'm confused beyond belief. I talked to chris (carolina 91 GTS) and he sent me the plug I need. And yes I'm confident that its a 3sgte harness. And there's NO signs of alterations. Except for one pin that has a clear copper wire, but downstream its spliced into the wire. That's actually part of the harness. So that's why I'm confused.

Ill post pics tonight.

Carolina91GT-S
11-03-2010, 02:58 AM
His Plugs that he has listed as #3 and #4 are the IG1 and IG2 connectors that plug into the chassis just rearward of the ECU. He does'nt have these chassis connectors in his chassis because he has an ST165 and he doesn't have the infamous 3rd ECU plug for the same reason. He has an ST185 harness the Question is just which one does he have.

The clear copper wire is the KNK(Knock sensor) signal and it is normally wrapped in clear insulation

I sent him a set of the IG1 and IG2 plugs (both sides) a 3rd ECU plug, and a COR whihc he may or may not have either. He should be able to get it going with these things.

~Chris

ChrisD
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
^^oh yeah, woops you are right. 3rd ECU plug come from different source on 165 to 185 of course. Check the pinouts to see which revision you have. 90-91 or 92-93.