PDA

View Full Version : egr block off

UtahSleeper
10-28-2010, 04:01 AM
I have a 5s and I want to remove the EGR. My question is, what block off plate can I use for this? The 22RE plates "look" like it would work, but no real clue.

T-spoon
10-28-2010, 04:10 AM
There really isn't much to it. If it will cover the holes, make a good seal and is securely attached, they'll work.

85gtsblackman
10-28-2010, 06:12 AM
go get new egr gaskets, then...

do what i did, go to ace hardware and...

place the gaskets over various metal stock they have figure out which one suits you best, i got some sort of heavy duty grade steel it was 14.99 fot the long section of it.

purchace metal stock

go home trace the gasket onto metal stock with a marker or pencil

drill out the holes

cut the stock in a square or rectangle before u try and cut it the same shape as the gasket. I used a air cut off wheel but a hacksaw will due

your egr block off plates should fit or need slight trimming to fit, dont forget to replace the gaskets

all of this is asuming the 5s is like the 22re or 7a where the egr and pipe have like a sorta flanged end thats flat. If it has a threaded pipe end on 1 end you will need a cap from a pumbing section at your local hardware store.

btw if you get a check engine light if you have a sensor i just stuck a mini paper clip that was made into a u shape into the connetor and wrapped it in electrical tape and havent had a cel in since

UtahSleeper
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
I may just make one then.

And I don't see any electrical connectors on my EGR.

Facime
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
the better question no one asked here is why?
Removing the EGR system is not a performance upgrade, so I never understood people who do it.

UtahSleeper
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I just want to clean up the engine bay a little. Less vacuum lines to cause poor running scenarios. That and I want to see if it may be causing some of my running issues and I refuse to remove it to test and clean when I can just remove it.

ericfragola
10-29-2010, 12:43 AM
i have the usdm st185, thats going to be running off of a jdm st185 ecu. the jdms dont have egr's, my egr will physically be there but wont be checked for. will this effect anything? should i take it out or should i keep it in for smog visual?

DudeMan
10-29-2010, 01:04 AM
the better question no one asked here is why?
Removing the EGR system is not a performance upgrade, so I never understood people who do it.

I did it because mine wasn't functioning properly and it was easier/cheaper to delete then fix.

Plus as Utah said, more room in the engine bay, which is even more sparse in an All Trac.

I'd say the 3S block off plates would be more likely to fit than the 22RE's but I'm not 100% sure..

On the other hand if I was to do it again I would probably just fabricate them like blackman said, using 1/8" steel or something.

Facime
10-29-2010, 01:32 AM
room? room for what?
The EGR serves a purpose. If you do alot of highway driving it can improve your fuel efficiency on top of reducing your carbon footprint. If operating correctly, its not active under WOT, and if you are running a USDM ECU your computer is expecting its input and even if it doesnt throw a code by removing it you are still screwing with the fuel map.

I just see these threads alot and most of the time its being done by people who have no idea how the system works and mistakenly think that they will gain some kind of usable power from it. Additionally, that part of the engine bay is already pretty sparse so I dont buy the whole "cleaning up my engine bay" line. Unless you are going to a full standalone, and a hose and wire tuck under the hood, I recommend people just leave well enough alone.

T-spoon
10-29-2010, 01:52 AM
EGRs are really an inefficient and wasteful way to deal with emissions. You don't even need a full standalone to tune any difference it might make to not have it and they do take up some space. Enough to make it worth removing? Really up to the individual. Of course there will be people doing it pointlessly, but that is true for almost every mod you could possibly think of. That said, I've only blocked one off, but that was on a NE rustbucket MR2 and the EGR literally rusted off so I just put plates on. The 7m made me wish it didn't have one a couple times as it is really in the way of some things when dealing with the intake manifold side of things.

Really I don't think it's a big deal either way. Yes, if your EGR works on a mostly stock vehicle there's not really much point in removing it, but it's not likely to be much of a problem if you do, either, since it's a pretty silly thing to begin with. Toyota seems to think so, too, considering they don't put them on cars for their Japanese market (and considering you can pass the emissions portion of an inspection without one)

DudeMan
10-29-2010, 02:14 AM
On a 185 it makes quite a bit of extra room if you take everything out.

Easier access to the shifter cables, fuel filter, intake manifold etc.

I know how the system works, its purpose and I didn't expect any gains from it.. Just had to go!

Facime
10-29-2010, 03:31 AM
I know how the system works, its purpose and I didn't expect any gains from it.. Just had to go!

yeah I hear ya, I was really just ranting in general towards those people that just do stuff like that without thinking about it at all.

85gtsblackman
10-29-2010, 04:47 AM
my egr on my beater broke and was causing horrible running engine so i blocked it off rather than spend 200 coin, oh and it dont mess up any fuel map on a old ecu like the 22re

UtahSleeper
10-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Plus, from what I have read, the older motors have a mechanical EGR, so the ECU gets no info from it.

But, my big reason is the cleaner look under the hood and one less thing to break and cause me grief.

Isn't it mostly there for rich running conditions when cold?

Facime
10-29-2010, 05:41 AM
no, the function of the EGR is to feed a small amount of exhaust gases (in essence at this point, "inert gas") back into the mix only during lean cruise mode to reduce combustion temps and therfore reduce NOX output. Its not even in play at all when the engine is below N.O.T.

UtahSleeper
11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
For those that have done this, what is the wrench size to remove the nut at the end of the metal tube?

Luni
11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
If its anything like a 3S I just use a mexican toolbox (aka cresent wrench LOL).

UtahSleeper
11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
LOL!! Yea, may just have to get one. I buy tools as I need them. Usually crescent wrenches are bigger and I didn't think one would fit in the small area.

Luni
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, they fit on the 3S one, but I know on a 5S the EGR is in a different place. So, dont buy one just cause I told ya.

UtahSleeper
11-08-2010, 11:14 PM
K. I may just buy one since I don't have one lol. Shouldn't be too expensive anyway.