PDA

View Full Version : Ways to squeeze more out of the GT?

rmpinky
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Is there any way of squeezing more power out of this wonderful car (GT NOT GT4) without any forceful mods? i.e welding/swapping etc..

Cheers

fffil
10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Is there any way of squeezing more power out of this wonderful car (GT NOT GT4) without any forceful mods? i.e welding/swapping etc..

Cheers

Having read another thread regarding Top Gears quest to buy a supercar etc etc, their best power gains were simply by servicing the car, ie fresh plugs, points (electronic ignition so I guess rotor arm and anything else), dizzy cap, oil, filters etc. For more serious power gains, I'm sure someone else will be along in a minute. You could always try a K&N induction kit if they are available for the Celica?

toy8490
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I good way to make shure you get the most out your stock engine is to make shure the throttle body is clean, i've seen just some dirt build up can cause your car to run rough

rmpinky
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Where would i find the throttle body? Is it the "dial" on the engine with the cord for the pedal?

KM
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Yup. When you press the accelerator pedal, the cable pulls a butterfly valve on the throttle body. This allows more air to enter the engine, which the computer reads via a sensor and adjusts the fuel accordingly.
Cleaning the throttle body with a carb/throttle body cleaner will remove the carbon deposits from the body and make it run smoother.

Generally, cleaning parts and doing routine maintenance like oil changes, spark plugs, transmission fluid, etc will give you the most noticeable increase. Forced induction and other mods won't do you any good on a sick motor, anyway.

You can also try Seafoam. It's basically then same thing (denatured alcohol, this time in a pure liquid instead of an aerosol can) and liquefies carbon buildup in hoses, the throttle body, intake manifold, etc. It makes a LOT of smoke.

taibones
11-12-2010, 09:43 PM
rmpinky, do you have a 3sge

rmpinky
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I believe so, 2L non turbo st202...

moadyb
12-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Seafoam work wonders. Warm the car up fully then disconnect the vaccum tube that connects the Intake Mani to the brake booster then slowly pour about 8oz into the vaccum tube. You want to pour it slowly enough for the motor to continue to run but quickly enough to finish pouring before it starts to burn off. !!!YOU MUST NOT POUR QUICKLY!!! Motors cannot compress liquid so be sure to let vaccum suction bring the fluid into the hose as you pour. After you get the 8oz or so in turn the car off for about five minutes or so then come back turn it on and wait for the glorious cloud of white smoke. I like to start the motor then slowly raise the RPM's to about 2k or 2500 Untill the smoke clears then go for a test drive to observe any improvements.

nin1980
12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
like moady said, i use carb/throttlebody cleaner, also when you are about to make an oil change use some engine flush to get rid of all the "varnish" build up in your engine.
ive put a simple bolt on mod on mine; cone filter seems to make quite a difference on this car to any others ive owned. they just sounded sporty! this makes my celica sound wicked! and actually puts a bit more power top end of the rpm
also i would put a decent stainless exhaust on if you are going to put an induction kit on (more gases you put in the quicker they need to go)

New Guy
01-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Having read another thread regarding Top Gears quest to buy a supercar etc etc, their best power gains were simply by servicing the car, ie fresh plugs, points (electronic ignition so I guess rotor arm and anything else), dizzy cap, oil, filters etc. For more serious power gains, I'm sure someone else will be along in a minute. You could always try a K&N induction kit if they are available for the Celica?

I am unsure about the 3SGE Celica, but the GT in the USA with the 5SFE has a K&N cold-air setup... My brother's 6g has one. I can try to get pics Tuesday, if I remember.