PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen 3S-GTE, Need Help With Some Plumbing Routing..

maxxximus
10-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Hey all!
I've got a 5th Gen Celica that I've been working on for most of the summer, off and on....and I've been doing the 3sgte swap in my free time. It's been the single most rewarding experience in my life..amazing the stuff I never knew I didn't know. the little things I've picked up along the way have been excellent additions to my knowledge arsenal....fantastic experience, really. :)

WELL! Good news! It's almost complete(Can't wait! hehe ;) but the bad news is, I can't find any info on the st215 Caldina that its out of...and I don't want to mistakenly screw everything up here in the last lap.... I can't figure out exactly how the plumbing goes for what i believe are coolant hoses(different diameter hoses are causing me to second guess myself) and exactly where the fuel line(return? I believe) goes to.

So, my friends.... I give it to you...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7629/dsc05091rx.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7473/dsc05094t.jpg

and then a hole.... not sure if this is normal...comments?

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1127/dsc05090b.jpg

Even pictures of other st215/celica setups that i've found dont have enough detail to see whats going on....so, Thanks in advance!!!

ps. I could post more pictures if needed... just don't want to kill the servers! :bigsmile:

ChrisD
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Cool, welcome btw. :) You will definitely enjoy the car when you are done!

Tim aka 4thgenceli is in the process of installing an ST215 engine on his car as well, he might be a valuable resource for ya.

I will do my best:

1. PCV ventilation. Should route into the intake tract somewhere. A lot of people will install a catch can here to collect the oil vapours before they go back into your intake, keeping things clean inside.

2. Idle Air Control (IAC). Also goes to the intake. The ECU will adjust idle by venting extra air when needed. Or you can stick a filter on the end of it, or right off the throttle body if you wanted. Either way, not terribly important as long as it's not blocked.

3 & 4 are pretty tricky b/c I can't see where they are coming from...maybe one is for the factory blowoff valve but I can't say for sure....

Fuel rail one - is that a fuel line or a vacuum line? If vacuum, just to the intake manifold...if fuel, it could be the fuel return line going back to your fuel return pipe on the firewall.

The hole - that's where the distributor on the gen 1/2/3 heads sits. But since you don't have a dist. it makes sense that the casting is left the same. I would suspect it is still sealed, but having not seen one in person I can't verify. I might pull the valve cover off to make sure unless someone here can clarify (which I'm sure they can)

HTH!

:)

zen
10-28-2010, 07:47 AM
welcome,
i have done the st215 swap into my st184. chris D is right. #3 is factory bov, #4 should be fuel feed line, if it is connected to the end of the fuel rail.
pic #2 is fuel return line, connect to return line off the firewall, last pic should be sealed with half moon shaped casted aluminum.

4thgenceli
10-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll get some pictures for you later when I get home. Zen's right on everything though lol. You can check out my project thread in my siggy and you should also see the answers to everything u need as well.

maxxximus
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Fantastic!! Thanks guys! This is exactly the kind of information i was looking for... its a great help! :)

@4thgenceli, I cant see the link in your siggy...I need to get to 10 posts first! lol, bout time I started giving back..(i believe i've read every. single. forum post this spring/summer...sure feels that way ;)

as you all know, this is a fantastic site! good job on the refresh...classy! ::BIGSMILE::

toy8490
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm doing a st215 swap also, do you have a wire diragram for that engine, or pin out for the ecm

maxxximus
11-02-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm doing a st215 swap also, do you have a wire diragram for that engine, or pin out for the ecm

These are what I've been using.... http://www.users.on.net/~fivebob/Pages/pins.xml
and also this guy.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/Oosterbaan/ST215W-1c.jpg

What stage of the project are you at?

toy8490
11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
i'm at the very first stage, got my motor and a fwd lsd transmission, with harness and ecm, i have a long way to go, i have to pull my old motor and then i can start, by the way any body know if they need a good running 5s-fe engine, 2.2, its still in my car and runs good, i just want more power. thanks for the wire diagram

maxxximus
11-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Fantastic! Keep in touch, tell me how it goes... :)

maxxximus
03-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Swap almost complete! Question, the PCV ventilation routes to pre or post turbo? I'm confused... the engine is running, but not prettily with it going to the pre-turbo intake. Thanks!

Toy8490- I just broke down and went with Dr Tweak for my electrical work... well worth the money. :)

4thgenceli
03-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice! Mind PM'ing me your cell # by chance? I have a few ?'s for you... stuck on a couple things on my 215.

MrWOT
03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Pre turbo is correct, you need an oil catch device

maxxximus
03-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks MrWot! That what i thought, but wanted to be sure. :)

4thgenceli, I wont be free during normal people hours(work work work)for a few days.. what kind of questions do you have??

toy8490
03-18-2011, 03:03 PM
i've completed my st215 swap, everything works the way its supose to and it has tons of power, i'm very happy with all the work it took, it took about 6 month to complete the swap

4thgenceli
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Y'all suck. I'm just over a year into mine :(

Of course losing job and family issues didn't help at all lol.

4thgenceli
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Y'all suck. I'm just over a year into mine :(

Of course losing job and family issues didn't help at all lol.